National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the WA2000 is my faborite gun ever but seeing as how their were only 176 ever made, it makes it difficult to get a hold of one let alone affording it. Well my friend had an idea of getting a M1a and make a conversation kit for it. They use the same caliber and similar looking mags.

A young co-worker suggested the ARES airsoft wa2000 body as its already the look and sturdy. I was thinking making the material from scratch/have the body commissioned (expensive). Anyone have other ideas? Or suggestions?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
WA2000. This rifle was designed from the ground up as a sniper rifle, it is not an adaptation from an existing rifle. No expenses were spared in the design and construction of the WA2000, which may have been what ultimately doomed the rifle. The retail cost when new (in the 80's) was right around $9.000.
The .300 Win Mag was chosen as the primary caliber because of its long range accuracy and its consistency at all ranges. The entire rifle is designed around the barrel. The adjustable trigger operates a hammer, and the entire firing mechanism can be removed as a unit from the lower frame. The bullpup configuration allows a compact design while still maintaining a 26" barrel. The US Army M24 has a 24" barrel and is over 7" longer. The WA2000 fires from a closed bolt and uses a bolt with 7 locking lugs. Only 176 total rifles were produced in 2 different variants of which there were only approximately 15 imported into the USA.

The first model had problems with the gas blowback system and was soon revamped to the series 2. The 2nd generation (series) was refined with a more robust gas system which also reduced the recoil and a more effective flash hider was added in addition to an upgraded bi-pod. The fluted barrel was also eliminated on the series 2 rifles. The combination of the new gas system and the non fluted barrel made the second generation rifles more accurate than the first generation. The only fault I have with the weapon is its heavy weight. At 16 lbs its really getting up there. Accuracy is exceptional. Its easiest to tell the two variants apart by the two different flash suppressors. The "can" type flash suppressor is on the first generation, and the more traditional flash suppressor is of the 2nd gen. The 2nd gen rifles incorporated several changes to make the rifle more suited to its intended job. Even if its heavy, the WA2000 is still an amazing rifle as both a sniper rifle, and a piece of art, current value of these rifles range from $30,000 - $40,000.
A recent asking price for an exceptional example was $75.000 .

Given the price involved i would opt for something a little less costly.
My advice ? there are lots of capable rifles out there that wont break the bank ... Savage model 110 BA. Remington model 700 . both would serve you well and are fine rifles .
Just a thought hope this helps .

Reactions: Popeye

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,138 Posts
The WA 2000 is a semi-automatic bullpup sniper rifle that was produced by the Carl Walther GmbH Sportwaffen company. It was produced in three different calibers (.300 Winchester Magnum, 7.62x51mm NATO and 7.5x55mm Swiss) Production of the rifle was limited and it was shortly stopped because it was too expensive to achieve widespread sales and not robust enough for military use as a sniper rifle. Only 176 units were built due to the high cost of the rifle and only 15 of the rifles were imported into the United States. The rifle was produced from 1982 until November 1988. The rifle was only used by some German police units.

Supposedly, the 15 units in the United States are owned by two people. Also supposedly, Carl Walther GmbH Sportwaffen will build one for you if you have the available funds ($75k - $100k).

It is a heavy, fragile and expensive rifle with a somewhat limited accuracy range (775 yds). Repair/replacement parts are nonexistent. Seemingly, it would prove wise to leave this particular rifle in the 'dream' category.

Reactions: gunzilla

·
Super Moderator
5,714 Posts
Someone wants to take an airsoft toy and turn it into a real working rifle? Sounds like fishing or young kids who know no better.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad people are actually reading the message. Im trying to create my favorite gun cause my chances of buying one are slim to none. As for the airsoft toy turned real steal. As i said a young coworker suggested it is the look im after amd would only be wood peices that didnt effect the gun its self. I on the other hand was thinking of getting the parts made around a m1a instead of fitting a M1a into the airsoft gun body.

·
54,138 Posts
So... you're not going for the rifle. You're going for the 'look'?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically because its too rare a rifle and to expensive for me to get myself. If i could basically recreate the rifle enough id be happy. Its not the same as having a real wa2000 but its a nice close second.

·
54,138 Posts
This guy did it with a 10/22 as a base. IWD1022

·
54,138 Posts

·
54,138 Posts
Here's the real deal

·
54,138 Posts
Download the drawings and other information to your computer or, at least, save the links. The man who owns the linked to site seems to be very protective of the information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts