National Gun Forum banner

I need this in my life... engraved 500

5K views 65 replies 11 participants last post by  Philmo11 
#1 ·
#3 ·
That's not his, he wants his to look like that or be fully engraved. I wonder what the prices are for engraving nowadays and what the turn around rate is? Almost certainly not as many people doing as there was 30 years ago or more. Everything now is done by stamping or laser.

Reactions: Philmo11
#6 ·
That's actually cheaper than i thought and the turn around time about what i was thinking. it's a dying art along with people who do quality stock work, bluing and machinist work on guns.

#13 · (Edited)
I got him down to $1,200 but may be checking with a local shop on trading mine on an 8”. That’ll drive the price up a little. I’ve ordered grips for it. Stuck with the S&W grips because they have the open back and exposed frame. Some grips cover the back of the grip frame and wonder why the recoil cracks them. Houge won’t even warranty their grips on the 500 magnum against cracking under recoil. Watched a video someone put up with these grips and he said it was brutal. I don’t intend on shooting too many bear loads in mine though. If I do, I’ll just swap the grip and swap it back when I’m done.

Revolver

Color on these should be about the same as those grips on my Blackhawk .45’s. I like that color on stainless.

#14 ·
I would try to sell yours on armslist. You will make out better than what they will give you on a trade. Find out what your LGS will give you and mark up about 20%? selling private. Could be worth more or less than 20% over trade. Im just making a example. Sure others here will be able to guide you better.

#17 ·
I’ve had several bites on Armslist but no one with the cash so far. Everyone wants to trade, sooo.. I took it into a shop I deal with and he says $870 off a new one, that’s after tax savings, which he is within $35 of the cheapest retailer online, so that’s a plus. In total for a pair of 8-3/8” 500’s with the compensator I want will be $1560 out the door with my trade and he will talk to his distributors to see who can provide sequential serial numbers for me. He said it’s a 50/50 shot but he’d try. I’m thinking if he can find sequential serial numbers, I should take the deal. I’m thinking a pair of engraved 8-3/8” 500’s with sequential numbers will likely add some value in the event I should ever sell them. (don’t know why I would but you know life)

#19 ·
Update to this thread. I did manage to get my 8-3/8" 500 magnum, only one of them though. I opened the conversation back up with the engraver yesterday. Looks like I will be sending it off to him in Oct to be engraved. He is 5 months backlogged so it works out about right. This is what it looks like now. I will post another update when I get it back.

#20 ·
Another update. I “bit the bullet”, so to speak, and ordered the 8-3/8” 460 magnum. Should be virtually identical to this 500 magnum. Probably too late to get it on the schedule to be done at the same time. Besides, coming up with $3,000 for both engravings by Oct might get me shot with it.

I originally wanted two 500s as a pair but the more I thought about it, who in the hell is going to ever carry two 8” X-Frames? I decided that one of each would be just as good and kills two birds with one stone, a matching set and both calibers. May make the set more unique. I actually paid $150 more for the 460 than I did the 500. It’s ordered and paid for now so it’s pretty set in stone. I’ll have to send them both back to him when it’s time to do the 460.

#26 ·
I bought 100 or 200 brass for the 460 about a month a go knowing this would eventually happen. I need to find some bullets to handle 2000 fps or more.

Also, spent some time looking at pictures of grips and found a 44 magnum with those above… so I spliced the pics to get an idea of what to expect. I am still undecided.

#28 ·
I bought 100 or 200 brass for the 460 about a month a go knowing this would eventually happen. I need to find some bullets to handle 2000 fps or more.

Also, spent some time looking at pictures of grips and found a 44 magnum with those above… so I spliced the pics to get an idea of what to expect. I am still undecided.

View attachment 125863
For my 454 Casul i use Hornady XTP-MAG 240gr JHP bullets. In my book they are also used in 460 loads with the fastest one a little over 2,200 fps. Don't think there are too many people making pistol bullets that can be pushed that fast for full power loads so your choices may be limited. I've had really good luck with the Hornady's so i haven't looked for any others.
I also make cast bullet loads but of course they are no where near the power of the regular loads, more like a hot 45 Colt.

#31 ·
I use Lee 45 Colt dies. The flare, seat and crimp all work fine because the cases are longer but the seating die is just long enough because it feels like the case mouth is hitting inside the top of the die when the die meets the shell holder. A few thou longer and it probably wouldn't work. You won't be able to do the .460 because it's longer yet. You may be able to do them with 454 casul dies if you can't find .460 dies but i can't say for sure. My buddy loads for .460 and I'll try and remember to ask him what he uses, i should see him this weekend.

Reactions: Philmo11
#32 ·
Well, I went ahead and ordered 2 sets of those KSD Target grips. It makes me a bit nervous ordering from outside the country (Turkey) but its done. I did do some research on them before buying and appears they have been around for quite a while. I found some feedback on other gun forums that was good. It did trigger fraud protection at my bank but I approved it anyway. I will report back when I have something on my hands.

#35 ·
Just checked, yes they are a different number shell holder. Never knew that.

Reactions: gvaldeg1
#37 ·
'Finger groove' handgun grips are made to fit the 'average' hand. If you do not have an 'average' hand they can be unfortable at best and dangerous, on a heavy recoiling handgun, at worst.

Either go with a single finger groove (the top one) or find a custom maker who will make your grips based on a tracing of your hand. (This is what Hogue.asked for when they started offering wood grips).

#38 ·
I have average large hands, slender fingers. The grips I have on it are finger grooved, albeit, not as pronounced as these. My previous 500 had the S&W combat version with the same grooves. It was actually more comfortable due to the wrist angle. These kind of look like a compromise between the two with its contours. My biggest fear is the grip being too girthy and not secure. The grips I have are fairly slender. The grip on my double stack BBR 3.10 1911 is pushing the limit to how full I feel is safe in my hand. It’s too full for a 500, especially with the super hot loads.

Worst case is, they aren’t right for me, or the gun, and I just sell them off and get something different. They set me back $236. If I could recover $200 of it, I’d be satisfied. That or keep them for a different gun.

I did get a confirmation email on that order, that’s a good sign.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.