National Gun Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I bought 100 or 200 brass for the 460 about a month a go knowing this would eventually happen. I need to find some bullets to handle 2000 fps or more.

Also, spent some time looking at pictures of grips and found a 44 magnum with those above… so I spliced the pics to get an idea of what to expect. I am still undecided.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife says if she had that revolver, she would definitely buy those grips for it. So there you a genuine wife approved purchase. Go for it.

Mike

·
Registered
14,886 Posts
I bought 100 or 200 brass for the 460 about a month a go knowing this would eventually happen. I need to find some bullets to handle 2000 fps or more.

Also, spent some time looking at pictures of grips and found a 44 magnum with those above… so I spliced the pics to get an idea of what to expect. I am still undecided.

View attachment 125863
For my 454 Casul i use Hornady XTP-MAG 240gr JHP bullets. In my book they are also used in 460 loads with the fastest one a little over 2,200 fps. Don't think there are too many people making pistol bullets that can be pushed that fast for full power loads so your choices may be limited. I've had really good luck with the Hornady's so i haven't looked for any others.
I also make cast bullet loads but of course they are no where near the power of the regular loads, more like a hot 45 Colt.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
For my 454 Casul i use Hornady XTP-MAG 240gr JHP bullets. In my book they are also used in 460 loads with the fastest one a little over 2,200 fps. Don't think there are too many people making pistol bullets that can be pushed that fast for full power loads so your choices may be limited. I've had really good luck with the Hornady's so i haven't looked for any others.
I also make cast bullet loads but of course they are no where near the power of the regular loads, more like a hot 45 Colt.
Yep, I was looking at those, but have been out of stock. They also make a 300gr XTP Mag that is available but costs an extra 50%over the 240gr. Those 300's I can find. I will look around some more. I'd like a vendor where I can buy more than a retail box of 50. That gets expensive quick when its $30/50. These aren't 500 mags. I'll have to send a message over to Berry's. They make a 2000 fps 45/70 bullet (.458). It's too large for the 460 but curious if they'd consider production on a thick plate .452 for the 460. It doesn't seem like a big stretch since its probably more popular than the 500 is.

I have meant to look to see if Speer makes one. I will have to look tonight.

My wife says if she had that revolver, she would definitely buy those grips for it. So there you a genuine wife approved purchase. Go for it.

Mike
Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
14,886 Posts
@Square target what dies are you using for 454?
I use Lee 45 Colt dies. The flare, seat and crimp all work fine because the cases are longer but the seating die is just long enough because it feels like the case mouth is hitting inside the top of the die when the die meets the shell holder. A few thou longer and it probably wouldn't work. You won't be able to do the .460 because it's longer yet. You may be able to do them with 454 casul dies if you can't find .460 dies but i can't say for sure. My buddy loads for .460 and I'll try and remember to ask him what he uses, i should see him this weekend.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, I went ahead and ordered 2 sets of those KSD Target grips. It makes me a bit nervous ordering from outside the country (Turkey) but its done. I did do some research on them before buying and appears they have been around for quite a while. I found some feedback on other gun forums that was good. It did trigger fraud protection at my bank but I approved it anyway. I will report back when I have something on my hands.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I use Lee 45 Colt dies. The flare, seat and crimp all work fine because the cases are longer but the seating die is just long enough because it feels like the case mouth is hitting inside the top of the die when the die meets the shell holder. A few thou longer and it probably wouldn't work. You won't be able to do the .460 because it's longer yet. You may be able to do them with 454 casul dies if you can't find .460 dies but i can't say for sure. My buddy loads for .460 and I'll try and remember to ask him what he uses, i should see him this weekend.
Yep, I just ordered a 3 die set from Lee for the 460. I checked the 45 colt dies I have and the shell holder is too small and the resizing die is too short. I am hoping my crimp die will work though. no factory crimp die in the set and no 4 die set exists. I found a taper die for $40 but I want a roll crimp.

I did double check and it looks like I have 200 brass for the 460. My weekly trip for reloading supplies is tomorrow. I haven't been in a month, saving cash and all (which I pretty much blew on the 460). Oh well... I will pick up some more brass tomorrow and look for available bullets. I have some stout 45 colts so I can let the boys try it out.

·
Registered
14,886 Posts
Yep, I just ordered a 3 die set from Lee for the 460. I checked the 45 colt dies I have and the shell holder is too small and the resizing die is too short. I am hoping my crimp die will work though. no factory crimp die in the set and no 4 die set exists. I found a taper die for $40 but I want a roll crimp.

I did double check and it looks like I have 200 brass for the 460. My weekly trip for reloading supplies is tomorrow. I haven't been in a month, saving cash and all (which I pretty much blew on the 460). Oh well... I will pick up some more brass tomorrow and look for available bullets. I have some stout 45 colts so I can let the boys try it out.
Interesting the shell holder won't fit, i figured they would be the same. Is the rim thicker or larger in diameter? I do find that occasionally i will get a few pieces of brass that are hard to get into a shell holder. S&B comes to mind and maybe starline if i remember correctly? They will go in but you have to force them. Not on 454 but just cases in general from all different calibers. S&B brass is always harder to size, i think the brass composition is slightly different and it's harder.

·
Registered
14,886 Posts
Just checked, yes they are a different number shell holder. Never knew that.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
'Finger groove' handgun grips are made to fit the 'average' hand. If you do not have an 'average' hand they can be unfortable at best and dangerous, on a heavy recoiling handgun, at worst.

Either go with a single finger groove (the top one) or find a custom maker who will make your grips based on a tracing of your hand. (This is what Hogue.asked for when they started offering wood grips).

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
'Finger groove' handgun grips are made to fit the 'average' hand. If you do not have an 'average' hand they can be unfortable at best and dangerous, on a heavy recoiling handgun, at worst.

Either go with a single finger groove (the top one) or find a custom maker who will make your grips based on a tracing of your hand. (This is what Hogue.asked for when they started offering wood grips).
I have average large hands, slender fingers. The grips I have on it are finger grooved, albeit, not as pronounced as these. My previous 500 had the S&W combat version with the same grooves. It was actually more comfortable due to the wrist angle. These kind of look like a compromise between the two with its contours. My biggest fear is the grip being too girthy and not secure. The grips I have are fairly slender. The grip on my double stack BBR 3.10 1911 is pushing the limit to how full I feel is safe in my hand. It’s too full for a 500, especially with the super hot loads.

Worst case is, they aren’t right for me, or the gun, and I just sell them off and get something different. They set me back $236. If I could recover $200 of it, I’d be satisfied. That or keep them for a different gun.

I did get a confirmation email on that order, that’s a good sign.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts