National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Where would you want the engraving located? It looks pretty full. Front sight maybe?

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Where would you want the engraving located? It looks pretty full. Front sight maybe?

That's not his, he wants his to look like that or be fully engraved. I wonder what the prices are for engraving nowadays and what the turn around rate is? Almost certainly not as many people doing as there was 30 years ago or more. Everything now is done by stamping or laser.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a few people. Looks like maybe $800-$1200 and up to a year wait. I’m still looking.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
I found a few people. Looks like maybe $800-$1200 and up to a year wait. I’m still looking.

That's actually cheaper than i thought and the turn around time about what i was thinking. it's a dying art along with people who do quality stock work, bluing and machinist work on guns.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I’d want them both done at the same time and make a set out of them.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Looks more like something the Madam would carry in a house of ill repute.
Now engraving my icon picture on the side of a shotgun would be a different story.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found the original 500 magnum engraver, Hunter Flannery. He said $1500-$1700. I’ll have to stop buying guns for a few month. I just bought 3 more this week. Also need to decide if I want to do the 4” I have of trade it on an 8-3/8”. I think an 8-3/8” might look better.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I got him down to $1,200 but may be checking with a local shop on trading mine on an 8”. That’ll drive the price up a little. I’ve ordered grips for it. Stuck with the S&W grips because they have the open back and exposed frame. Some grips cover the back of the grip frame and wonder why the recoil cracks them. Houge won’t even warranty their grips on the 500 magnum against cracking under recoil. Watched a video someone put up with these grips and he said it was brutal. I don’t intend on shooting too many bear loads in mine though. If I do, I’ll just swap the grip and swap it back when I’m done.

5EDECB54-35F1-4858-8427-E2255BFB57FE.jpeg
0169BDDD-0A60-4CDB-A005-A5B6B7ED0247.jpeg

Color on these should be about the same as those grips on my Blackhawk .45’s. I like that color on stainless.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
I would try to sell yours on armslist. You will make out better than what they will give you on a trade. Find out what your LGS will give you and mark up about 20%? selling private. Could be worth more or less than 20% over trade. Im just making a example. Sure others here will be able to guide you better.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Idk, have to see. I paid $1200 for it. I’ll lose a little but even used they are running close to that. If I got $1000 I’d be happy.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Threw it out on armslist. See if I get any bites. Good time to sell a gun, tax season. Gotta spend those refunds.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve had several bites on Armslist but no one with the cash so far. Everyone wants to trade, sooo.. I took it into a shop I deal with and he says $870 off a new one, that’s after tax savings, which he is within $35 of the cheapest retailer online, so that’s a plus. In total for a pair of 8-3/8” 500’s with the compensator I want will be $1560 out the door with my trade and he will talk to his distributors to see who can provide sequential serial numbers for me. He said it’s a 50/50 shot but he’d try. I’m thinking if he can find sequential serial numbers, I should take the deal. I’m thinking a pair of engraved 8-3/8” 500’s with sequential numbers will likely add some value in the event I should ever sell them. (don’t know why I would but you know life)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like I got it sold. His Foid came back approved. Will meet next weekend to do the trade. That’s $1000 toward the pair of 8-3/4”

1 - 18 of 18 Posts