National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of buying a National Ordinance M1903A3 that is a WWII era manufacture, never issued, and is in 95% or better condition.

What's an approximate value of this thing?

It still has the factory original cleaning kit in the stock.

G

·
I seen one at a gun show a few years back. Had a price tag of $3600 on it. I don't imagine they have gotten any cheaper.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You are not buying a WWII issue weapon. Nat'l Ord is a commercial reciever with military parts. If the date stamp on the barrel is what you are using for dating the weapon, you would be wrong. The receivers were made back in the 60s and very soft. I wouldn't consider one a shooter but a wallhanger. There never was a Nat'l Ord. weapon received by the military. Value to me would be around $200.00. As a collector item, it isn't and never will be. A REAL 03A3 will have proof marks on the reciever, the stock, and the barrel. Manufacturers that had contract serial numbers would be Springfield (the old, defuct Springfield, not the new one), Remington, Smith- Corona, and Rock Island. Anything else is a fake.

G

·
Hey Trapper, you seem to have quite a bit of knowledge regarding firearms. So what would be a good price for a real 03A3? I go to these gun shows and sometimes I see vintage military firearms, but I lack the knowledge to properly determine their value most of the time.

G

·
ICM856 said:
Hey Trapper, you seem to have quite a bit of knowledge regarding firearms. So what would be a good price for a real 03A3? I go to these gun shows and sometimes I see vintage military firearms, but I lack the knowledge to properly determine their value most of the time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Far too many variables for a "one price fits all". There can be the different stocks like C or S, two groove barrels versus four or maybe even a five and six groove barrel. The 5 & 6 groove are rare, I have a 5 groove with a Marlin name on it- very rare. All kinds of differences including manufacturers. FWIW, I've collected the old Springfields for many years. I have several issue grade rifles in the grease, unfired, that I only paid $75.00 each. I have some rare ones that I have paid $200.00 but todays prices are ridiculous. These old shooters were available in my day via mail for $19.95 plus shipping. Even the 03A4 was only an additional $10.00 back then. Now you have to have a line of credit at the bank before anybody will even talk with you about one. If you find a good clean shooter that has all of the proof marks, is a miltiary weapon from a known military supplier, and it's just what you're looking for at a price you can stand, it's a good deal.Also, don't overlook accessories for these things. I had the opportunity to buy a military issued floor plate for an 03A3 that held a 20 round clip. I could have had it for $200.00. Today it would be worth in the tens of thousands. Brass cleaning kits, grenade sights,etc are all becoming non-exisitant. If you see any and can spend the bucks, it should bring more $$$ later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts