National Gun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Brisket is sooo expensive but yeah, sooo goood!

On the grill pizza. Stretch out your dough and if you can don’t roll it because it makes the dough chewy, put the stretched dough on to the grate for about 45 seconds and flip it for about 45 seconds, remove it and build your pie. One of the best canned pizza sauces is Don Pipino brand. If you don’t have it in your stores you can get it from Amazon. Put your pizza on the grill and don’t use the heat under the pizza. The hotter the better but not directly under the pie. If you need more info like spices for a great pie PM me.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Cooking is a great hobby to have. I run a mean grill and a mean smoker. Both charcoal with mesquite chips. Nothing is better. All I have to do is smoke a few racks of ribs and take 'em to a fight night and they get demolished. Rave reviews.

Absolutely love it.

What I need to do next is build a pit BBQ and do a true BBQ with a pig. Nothing better!

--Wag--
We used to do that in college for our annual Spring luau-type weekend bash; dug a pit, filled with charcoal, tied down a splayed pig and another 6-8 Boston Butts; put banana leaves over and covered it with dirt for 24-36 hours - awesome stuff.

I'm probably the only here who uses a PK Grill; it looks like a mini Airstream trailer on a stand. It is cast Aluminum - nice since it will NEVER rust, unlike my gas grills and Webers made from steel. Charcoal is the way to go; make a variety of chicken from Jamaican Jerk to Schwarma to Moroccan on there as well as ribs, seafood skewers, etc.

Since the Missus still works, I do most of the cooking; she gets mad because I'll make something she likes and then forget about it or lose the recipe (what happens when cooking with wine)..........I love to make Italian, but she is NOT a red sauce fan AT ALL so I have to be crafty. She also doesn't like a lot of med style because of lemon and oregano so getting her to eat healthier is always a challenge.

I used to go to Allrecipes.com but ideas, but now I go to Kitchn (notice no "e") - they have a lot of good recipes including ones for busy households like dump dinners, instapot (which I don't have) etc.

One thing I did do was teach my boys the basics of decent cooking - told them no matter what you do have to eat, and if you're broke it is cheaper to make something than buying out

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Here in Texas where cattle are king.
My specialty is brisket. Slow smoked with post oak for about 12-15 hours.
Don't use a timer, usually after about a half bottle of whiskey is consumed it is ready.
My first career job out of college was for B&R in Houston; I organized a department BBQ and got saddled with doing the brisket; 18 hours, lots of beers and you could cut it with a fork. back then the cryovac huge slabs were CHEAP; today them and chuck roasts are stupid high; for a little more I can get good steaks at Sam's or Costco.

Reactions: KILTED COWBOY

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Great thread, i love to cook as well. On the grill is my favorite but i have no problems in the kitchen either. My brother was a chef so i learned some from him. I love doing Italian, anything with steaks, sausage or hamburger in it and i make a sesame chicken that will make you never want to go to a Chinese restaurant again. Seafood is is lots of fun too. A lot of my stuff is real simple and quick with the hours the wife and i work but on the weekends I'll usually do a couple of big involved meals.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
i can fry a mean slice of summer sausage......... ;)

i have ran wild in the kitchen a few times.....my last great feat was making chicken and dumplin's......i was banned from the kitchen afterwards....looked like a combat zone.....but i thought the dumplins were not too bad..

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,164 Posts
^^^ LOL, thats my wife's complaint as well. She says I'm a messy cook. ^^^

·
Aim true !
10,040 Posts
Chicken breast on the grill is real good. For some reason it's not as dry tasting.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My Mother was one of those home cooks that could make your boots taste good. She was amazing. She’d go out to a restaurant and then within about a week she’d make it better at home. She taught me and them my youngest daughter how to build flavor. My mom could cook game meats, can vegetables and she’d even make pickles from zucchini squash.
My son and youngest daughter are both very good cooks. The middle girl is ok but she’s trying to make healthy food taste good and I’m not sure that’s always possible. Lol.
My hunting buddy and 30+ year friend is a stop watch making South Carolina Boil pro! My son cooks all of his game meats from goose to wild boar. He follows that guy “ Meat Eater” and his recipes.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
never had goose.........about as close as i had come was sandhill crane............never, never, never.........ever again......stunk something awful and a far too wild taste for me.....the dog and cat would not eat it either........

best game birds for me by far has been pheasant, turkey, and bobwhite.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Chicken breast on the grill is real good. For some reason it's not as dry tasting.
The key to juicy chicken breasts is brining for a day ahead

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
never had goose.........about as close as i had come was sandhill crane............never, never, never.........ever again......stunk something awful and a far too wild taste for me.....the dog and cat would not eat it either........

best game birds for me by far has been pheasant, turkey, and bobwhite.
Then don't ever eat Sage Grouse from the Western states........................might as well eat a buzzard

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,279 Posts

three meat seafood gumbo with shrimp, sausage and chicken

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Just picked up some 2" USDA PRIME filets for the grill from Costco today. It is what it costs me when I ask the wife to take something out for dinner from the freezer............:LOL:

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I do like to cook and if I must say, I’ve turned out some really good food. I’m known around for my specialties. I make some good Italian food. Great ribs on the smoker and seafood dishes but everything doesn’t always work out. I saved a piece of granite from a remodel job and cut it with my diamond saw to fit the grill as a pizza stone. I fired it up and pushed it to maximum temp, about 800*.
Apparently that stone wasn’t true granite. As it got up to temp at burst into flames. That was when I realized it was man made granite, granular stone set in epoxy.
View attachment 117259
I had to use the fire extinguisher to put it out and not burn the garage. ( wouldn’t mind burning down the garage.)
I did make some fantastic smoked chicken wings though on the smoker.
View attachment 117260
I do like to cook and if I must say, I’ve turned out some really good food. I’m known around for my specialties. I make some good Italian food. Great ribs on the smoker and seafood dishes but everything doesn’t always work out. I saved a piece of granite from a remodel job and cut it with my diamond saw to fit the grill as a pizza stone. I fired it up and pushed it to maximum temp, about 800*.
Apparently that stone wasn’t true granite. As it got up to temp at burst into flames. That was when I realized it was man made granite, granular stone set in epoxy.
View attachment 117259
I had to use the fire extinguisher to put it out and not burn the garage. ( wouldn’t mind burning down the garage.)
I did make some fantastic smoked chicken wings though on the smoker.
View attachment 117260
OMG I love a man that can cook, I don’t have one ):

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Lol, my wife just the other day after leaving a restaurant with the kids for an early dinner, said her meal wasn’t very good. Then she said “ You’re cooking is so much better that I’m spoiled”.

·
Aim true !
10,040 Posts
Deer minute steaks and pasta salad tonight.

Reactions: Viper123 and deputy

·
Registered
357 Posts
Cooked up a nice London Broil on the grill last night, forgot to take a picture, of course. Sprinkling of coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, thrown on the grill on medium-high, cooked rare.

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
After I cook something at home, I almost NEVER order it at a restaurant again. Steaks, for example. The only exception there is if I'm at Morton's of Chicago. They make a great steak.

One year, I grew a bunch of Roma tomatoes. Got the bright idea of putting the cast iron dutch oven on the grill over the charcoal and mesquite chips. Loaded it up with a pound Italian sausage and a pound of hamburger. After it was cooked, added the rest of the marinara ingredients and got it heated up nice. Then I got about a dozen Roma tomatoes, right off the vine, Cut them in half and set them directly on the grill around the dutch oven for 30 seconds. When I picked them up, the skins came right off and the tomatoes went into the sauce.

Food of the gods, lemme tellya. EVERYTHING tastes better if you cook it in cast iron. There was enough sauce to feed an army but it only lasted around here for two days. Holy smoke, that was a memory of a lifetime.

--Wag--

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
London Broil is my least favorite cuts of beef. It’s generally tough because it so lean. If you put it in a sous vide for 2-3 hours at 130* it will cut like butter and the flavor will be enhanced.
I very rarely use cast iron and I really should use it more. It has certian properties like staying very hot and frying is all about the heat. My mother used to make stuffed peppers in a Dutch oven when I was a kid but went to the pressure cooker later. The pressure cooker works well and is much faster. I should dig out my cast frying pans from the bottom of the cabinet.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts