National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do like to cook and if I must say, I’ve turned out some really good food. I’m known around for my specialties. I make some good Italian food. Great ribs on the smoker and seafood dishes but everything doesn’t always work out. I saved a piece of granite from a remodel job and cut it with my diamond saw to fit the grill as a pizza stone. I fired it up and pushed it to maximum temp, about 800*.
Apparently that stone wasn’t true granite. As it got up to temp at burst into flames. That was when I realized it was man made granite, granular stone set in epoxy.
08158D6C-2A1F-4B4C-9B91-447B46CE5A24.jpeg

I had to use the fire extinguisher to put it out and not burn the garage. ( wouldn’t mind burning down the garage.)
I did make some fantastic smoked chicken wings though on the smoker.
24B75910-AD7E-4353-B9A4-1247D74C1BE6.jpeg

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,169 Posts
Great idea for a thread!
One of my most favorite hobbies.

I have A LOT of money tied up in outdoor cookware. I have an offset smoker (stick burner), ceramic Kamado, pellet smoker/grill and flattop griddle. I have been burning up some pellets in my pellet smoker.
From not this past weekend but weekend before:

I attempted Pizzas on the Primo (ceramic grill) several weeks ago and it was a complete disaster. LOL
You win some and you lose some.

Regularly make teriyaki chicken and rice on the griddle:
1595287410202.jpeg

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Jesus Saves
7,799 Posts
Y'all like to cook and I love to eat.......when y'all gonna have a BBQ party for the forum?

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cook inside and out on the grill. One of my favorite summer side dishes is roasted veggies. Zucchini is a big one and fennel is just fantastic.
In the kitchen I’ll use the Instant pot, A sous vide, and in winter the crock pot. I cook some restaurant quality dishes from time to time but I tend to make hearty comfort food. I almost never use a recipe but rather work from inspiration. I make some great Italian food. Anchovies and walnuts in white wine and olive oil over angel hair pasta is a seasonal favorite.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
There are a lot of people that swear by their Big Green Egg.

Reactions: Speed

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,169 Posts
There are a lot of people that swear by their Big Green Egg.
What I have learned is everything has its place. very similar to guns.
I have a Primo XL400. It is the direct competitor to the Big Green Egg. ( ceramic kamado)
The BGE is an excellent cooker.
They turn out great food for sure but as with almost anything, They do some things well and some not so well.
That said, If I forced to give up all my outdoor cookware and only keep one thing it would be the Primo (ceramic kamado) They are the most versatile.

If I am looking for authentic slow smoked BBQ though... Thats getting done on the offset smoker.
Ease of use... pellet smoker all day. I can control it from my phone. (provided its plugged in) And put something on it at midnight and go to bed without worry.
The griddle... so much fun to cook on and is a breakfast machine although it does a lot of other things well.
My wife actually prefers burgers on the griddle while I prefer them on the Primo.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,169 Posts
Here is my arsenal... LOL

Lone Star Grillz 20" x 36" offset smoker (stick burner)

Primo XL-400 (stock photo. I dont have a pic of mine but its identical to below. Its on left behind smoker above)

Rec Tec RT-700 Pellet Smoker

36" Blackstone griddle (with cover on top)

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,169 Posts
Made beef plate ribs (dino ribs) about a month ago for the first time. They were excellent.

they were about 6 and a half pounds a piece. Took about 12 hours to smoke.

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
Cooking is a great hobby to have. I run a mean grill and a mean smoker. Both charcoal with mesquite chips. Nothing is better. All I have to do is smoke a few racks of ribs and take 'em to a fight night and they get demolished. Rave reviews.

Absolutely love it.

What I need to do next is build a pit BBQ and do a true BBQ with a pig. Nothing better!

--Wag--

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had a rocky start making pizza on the grill. My first attempt, the raw pizza stuck to my makeshift spatula (backside of a baking sheet), and, well...
20200627_182714.jpg
...kinda flopped, literally

For my second attempt (and every subsequent one) I prepped the pizza on parchment paper so it wouldn't stick again. Came out much better:
20200705_185004.jpg

But it cost me my pizza stone (replaced since then)
20200705_185024.jpg

·
Registered
357 Posts
Cooking is something I'be always enjoyed, my weapon of choice is a good old fashioned cast iron pan, but I've used just about every cooking method you're likely to think of. I don't have many other pics of my culinary creations, suppose if there's a thread for it, I'll start taking some. For now, here's lunch from last weekend, grilled kielbasa from a local farm and skillet potatoes.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I just saw a tiktok video earlier today where a guy smoked a chunk of bologna. He used the 'ole mustard and some rubs then he used a brown sugar, dr pepper, mustard, ketchup glaze.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Not to be a party pooper but does anyone consider the carcinogens especially in the bark or smoke ring of good BBQ?

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,169 Posts
Nope. nobody gets out of life alive.

Reactions: Stamps6

·
Registered
539 Posts
At 63, I have smoked just about every kind of meat there is. Mostly in different sized barrel smokers. I had one made by my youngest from an old water heater tank. My last one, made from a 20lb propane tank gave up. He is making me a new one from a 30lb tank.
If you want something really good, try beef or chicken liver sprinkled with Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning.
Absolutely delicious.

I learned to cook on an open fire and cast iron. Still bake better in a Dutch Oven then in the kitchen.
Not to be a party pooper but does anyone consider the carcinogens especially in the bark or smoke ring of good BBQ?
The most dangerous thing about smoked meat.
Getting between me and it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a Master Chef standup smoker. The kids gave it to me a few years ago. I like running it quite a bit in the summer. Salmon, trout, ribs and chicken. My grill is a Nexgen 6 burner gas grill. I don’t get real crazy with it but I have fun.
To make the best steaks and I mean the best, use the sous vide and finish on the grill or cast iron skillet. The sous vide is a very accurate water bath. The meat goes into a plastic bag and submerging it in the water. I like my steaks Rare on the inside and really hot seared on the outside. The water never goes over 130* and I like to leave it in there for 1 1/2 hours. I’ll heat the grill to 700 and put the steak on just to finish the outside. It never over cooks and is the perfect internal temp. The long time at 130* makes it so tender and moist.works with chicken too! Lots of restaurants are using this method.

·
Registered
357 Posts
No, or rather, not for long. The studies are flawed, and reported results decieving.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts