National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DSC_0178.JPG DSC_0187.JPG DSC_0191.JPG DSC_0192.JPG DSC_0197.JPG

My father passed a few weeks ago. Along with a few Glocks and hunting rifles, I came across a very old pistol stored in his safe. If anyone could give me a clue about this antique, I would be much appreciated. I tried to Google online, but came up with very little.

Thanks so much for your help. My friend who is an avid gun enthusiast steered me to this site.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,675 Posts
It appears to be a circa 1840, Pepperbox percussion revolver. Possibly made by J. Long of London.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Neat Pepper Box. What is the bore diameter? I have several of the hard to come by round ball molds. What I know about them you could write on postage stamp with a grease pencil. If I remember correctly Mark Twain once said the only safe place was in front of one when it was being fired. I have owned a few over the years but never did any research.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, gents. Mad Scientist, I believe you are in the right vicinity. It appears to possibly be a 1-of-a-kind revolver. No other pics online are like it, and the ones that are similar are very worn. This revolver is in pristine shape for its age.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
If i had to guess i would say it's a modern made repro.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it's a replica? Thanks for all of your help. And here I thought I had something special. Oh well, I still have has Glock G23 .40 that carries some value and a few shotguns. Thanks gents!

·
Rifleman1776
242 Posts
So it's a replica? Thanks for all of your help. And here I thought I had something special. Oh well, I still have has Glock G23 .40 that carries some value and a few shotguns. Thanks gents!
Yes, there were many reproductions of the pepperbox. Might be fireable but no reason to try. Interesting conversation piece and paperweight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts