National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up this old Mauser from a gun show and I have a few questions about it. It looks different than most mauser's I've seen before but I'm pretty sure it has a k98 style bolt from some research I've done. Also it doesn't fire I checked and adjusted the protrusion of the firing pin and I have a new spring on the way, hopefully that works. I'm basically wondering what model it is and I had the bolt out of the gun when I took the pictures.

SAM_0008.jpg SAM_0009.jpg SAM_0005.jpg SAM_0007.jpg SAM_0006.jpg

G

·
It appears to be a Turkish 98 mauser. It would be caliber 7.92 x 57 {8MM Mauser}. This is a cut down or sporterized mauser. Some one cut the stock down to make a sporter out of it. I would have this gun checked out by a gun smith before firing. It sounds like your head space may be to wide. At least tie it down to an old tire and pull the trigger with a cord. Over spec head space can cause a case to rupture.

DK

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
Normally the Turk 98s are suspect. Some are great but I heard (never seen) of horror stories about stripped barrel threads and other such problems. It could be a great little rifle but as was said it could have headspace issues and if that is the case perhaps other problems as well. Good luck.

Alan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The seller I bought it from said the head space was just checked. The spring did seem weak when I took it apart everything else seemed ok on the rifle

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The CROWN stamp is the give away - it's a Swedish M96 Mauser 6.5x55mm - made in 1916 - probably at the Carl Gustavs State Weapons Factory.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The CROWN stamp is the give away - it's a Swedish M96 Mauser 6.5x55mm - made in 1916 - probably at the Carl Gustavs State Weapons Factory.
DISREGARD THE ABOVE POST - pictures were fuzzy and when I discovered my mistake, I couldn't delete the posting
What you DO have is a WW1 Era German GEW98 made at the DANZIG Imperial Arsenal in 1916, that has been sporterized. Originally chambered in the German 8mm, don't know what it is now without a chamber cast, I'd be leary of shooting it - especially if it failed to fire on initial try. Be careful - there's a lot of rechambered Mausers out there - some were not stamped with the new cartridge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that goes along with what I was told when I bought the gun. I was told it was a WW1 era german I was just unsure of that and it is an 8mm

G

·
Many Mausers were bought up by poor countries. This rifle seemed to have Turkish stamps on the reciever rail. Many of these old girls were rechamered to 8MM -06 using an 06 case and a .318 slug. The world WW1 rifles had a .318 bore and will not fire the modern {WW11} rifles without runing very high pressures. The modern 7.92x57[8MM] is a .32 cal bullet. These rifles are known as "J" bore and "S" bore rifles. As I stated have this gun checked out. I have seen these guns split barrels and blow bolt faces into the air and leave shooters with burned faces.

DK

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Left side of receiver rail is stamped GEW 98 in period script - and the chamber hood is marked with Crown over DANZIG - when the pics cleared up for me, it was easy to see.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That Seems to be a Turkish 98 Mauser. Still is a 7.92x57mmIS (8mm Mauser). And Stamped 1916. Thats all i can tell you from what i see. Hope to Help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just put in a new firing spring pin from midway and it works great, even with surplus ammo. I like this rifle a lot better than my mosin nagant. Thank you for all your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts