National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah so... with the new move coming, I have 10 acres of owned land surrounded by nearly 300 acres of dense wooded land to play on... oh my... what to do?

YES... BIG DADDY IS GOING TO SET UP A RANGE IN HIS YARD!
Getting the HELL OUT OF THE DETROIT AREA!

I have an excellent clearing that would afford up to 300 yards for rifle... and I simply cannot make up my mind on how to set this up. I've never had so many options.

Should I have a fixed target area, and moveable shooting spots?
Should I have a fixed shooting area with moveable targets?

If you had endless options... what would you do?

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
A fixed shooting area allows you to provide cover from sun and rain. Target stands are easy to move.

G

·
Congrats on the move, and on the future gun range!
I don't know too much about ranges (never been to one- sorry), but I hope you get a nice setup.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
If it was me I would have both the longer range fixed area for rifles and 25, 50 yard pistol. I would also have a short area for the fun stuff. Metal targets and so I could get into some timed combat type practice. That would be a heck of a lot of fun.

I envy you having the option.

How far out of Detroit??

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I'm too jealous to respond to this thread.

But if I weren't, I'd opt fo a fixed & covered shooting area.

How do you plan to set u the moving targets? You seem to have somethig i mind already.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I'm too jealous to respond to this thread.

But if I weren't, I'd opt fo a fixed & covered shooting area.

How do you plan to set u the moving targets? You seem to have somethig i mind already.
Bill, have you been drinking?

Actually Big Daddy, don't worry about it, I am sure when we have our 2nd annual NGF get together at your place we can all figure it out!

All those in favor of helping Big do his outdoor range and bbq pit next summer say EYE.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Yeah, I know how that goes, first it's the batteries, then it's the keyboard, that's when you start hitting the bottle.
You need to find the nearest Cumputers Annonomus, they will help you with your over indulgences.
Batteries, yeah right!

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
My vote

Attachments

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
This motion is hereby carried.

·
55,659 Posts
The "eyes" have it?

·
55,659 Posts
Neigh?

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Big Daddy - sounds like you will have a fun time setting up the range. Once you lay out the area for your favorite style of shooting, you can decide how to arrange the rest.

For me, I prefer covered shooting areas with set target ranges 50, 75, 100, 200, 300 or how ever far you want for long guns. This covered shooting area could double as a trap location as well. For handguns, it depends upon if you like to shoot competition or just standard range shooting. If nothing else, I would plan on handgun ranges between 5 and 25 yards at a minimum. Longer if you have the room.

BUT most important of all, lay out the pig roast/BBQ pit, the bag toss range, hammock area, beer pit and the ever necessary B.S. range! You should have 1 or 2 acres left for the shooting area when we get the essentials laid out!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Big Daddy - sounds like you will have a fun time setting up the range. Once you lay out the area for your favorite style of shooting, you can decide how to arrange the rest.

For me, I prefer covered shooting areas with set target ranges 50, 75, 100, 200, 300 or how ever far you want for long guns. This covered shooting area could double as a trap location as well. For handguns, it depends upon if you like to shoot competition or just standard range shooting. If nothing else, I would plan on handgun ranges between 5 and 25 yards at a minimum. Longer if you have the room.
Hey Bat, we were working on how to have the 2nd annual NGF get together at Big's house for next summer....The "eyes"
were working quite well, then you come along and get all serious about having a range that he wants, and so on. It's not about what he wants, it's what the entire forum will decide when we all get there, I mean come on, he can have his range, but we need a place for the bbq pit
, dart boards, pool tables, hammocks, wet bar, (far away from the range, weapons, and ammo) olympic size swimming hole. Work with me now, ok??? I think we almost had him convinced....

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts

BUT most important of all, lay out the pig roast/BBQ pit, the bag toss range, hammock area, beer pit and the ever necessary B.S. range! You should have 1 or 2 acres left for the shooting area when we get the essentials laid out!
My previous post was edited for accuracy. See above in red. It seems that I left out a few of the MAJOR details! :yikes1:

Thank you to GonBalistik for assisting me in seeing the error of my ways! :redface:

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
HAHA - next year will be the best NGF get-together EVER!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts