National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I hate buying shell plates. I hate to venture how much money I have invested in shell plates and tool heads for this RCBS press. Some calibers I can skate by with one close enough but just had to order a 32 H&R and 41 mag plates. Another $70.

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
Progressive i take it?

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Salmon Slayer
203 Posts
One of the reasons I consolidated calibers years ago, I had just gotten into reloading and was so overwhelmed I sold a few guns I never shot to pay the initial investment.
I now only load five calibers.:)

Reactions: Zhills and Philmo11

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
I think 7.62x39 will be the last i'll be loading for myself. Im done buying new calibers. My son can take over now. 6.5 creedmoor was his latest. I was kicking the idea of going progressive around. But im not in race loading. Im happy with my turret press's.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m reloading at least 23 calibers. What gets me is you pay $600 for the press, then $25 for each tool head, $35 for each shell plate. Both of which are likely under $5 to manufacture.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just ordered a third for $42. I’ve been using my 9mm shell plate for 380 and 223. I can use it but have to be careful because it’s a little big for the cases. I got a run on 1,000 of each coming up… I’d forgotten how much of a pita it was until I just ran 900 cases through just to resize them.

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
Stop buying different calibers. Sell off every thing but the basic 6 or 7 calibers that “normal” shooters use. Personally I hate putting gas in my 7 cars. That vette really sucks down the premium fuel. UGH.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The cost of convenience and the accompanying speed. If you get your dies set up for your components you just plug and chug and do your audit and checks to make sure everything is going well.

I have a green turret but don't have spares. I just swap my dies to change calibers. I changed out my cheaper lock rings with set screw types to make sure they don't move. Like my cheap 9 kurz Lee die with the useless O-ring. They zero pretty good.

·
Salmon Slayer
203 Posts
Out of the 4 presses I have kept (lotsa horse trading lately) only one is a progression and that is a Lee Pro1000 set up for 40S&W. It came with a #4 shellplate for .223 but used it for 300BLK originally. I have a Lee turret with 4 turrets setup for .223, 300BLK, .38 & .357.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went on Ebay and found someone clearing out what I guess are hard to sell plates. I picked up one of everything he had. I figured if I only used 2 of them, they paid for themselves. Cost me $59 for 7 of them. Some I would definitely see myself using in the future, 45 Schofield, 5.7, 38 Super . If nothing else, sometimes they are useful for cartridges that are close enough...

220 Swift
225 Winchester
6.5 Japanese

17 Hornet
22 Hornet
22 K-Hornet

7.62mm x 54R Russian

38-40 Winchester
44-40 Winchester
45 Schofield

38 Super

338 Norma Magnum
338 Lapua Mag

5.7mm x 28 (FN)

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stop buying different calibers. Sell off every thing but the basic 6 or 7 calibers that “normal” shooters use. Personally I hate putting gas in my 7 cars. That vette really sucks down the premium fuel. UGH.
No Way Jose... Why would I want to be like everyone else? And yeah, tell me about the gas. My primary vehicle gets 11 mpg.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The plates I bought last night are

223 Remington (5.56mm)
204 Ruger
17 Remington
17 Remington Fireball
221 Remington Fireball
222 Remington
222 Remington Magnum
6mm x 45
7mm Thompson/Center Ugalde
300 AAC Blackout
380 Auto Pistol
9mm x 18 Ultra

30 Remington AR
41 Magnum

32 Harrington & Richardson Magnum
32 Smith & Wesson Long
327 Federal Magnum

·
Registered
15,182 Posts
I don't use a separate tool head for each caliber. I keep several set up for the ones i load the most(9mm, 45acp, 38 and .223) and I have 2 other tool heads for everything else. It only takes a few minutes to set up dies and i don't always use the same bullets every time so that would have to usually be changed anyway. Shell plates, well you can't get around that but like you pointed out most can be used for multiple calibers....Of course i only have one or two that use the same shell plate. I load a lot of single stage too so i don't need plates for those anyway.

·
Super Moderator
12,810 Posts
What year is your Vette? Mine always got about 30 mpg and 35 on long trips.

--Wag--

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
I don’t ha e a vette anymore. I had a 74 but I stupidly sold it because I didn’t have anywhere to store it. I didn’t want to sitting outside all winter. I have to say that I’ve always liked the 72. Mako shark. I always said I’d get another one but then they made the 80’s and yuk. Now my wife says she has no interest in having one. Perhaps in a few more years……

·
Aim true !
12,149 Posts
I like convenience. I have all my dies in turrets. Rifle are in heavy cast iron turrets. I took an updated of my set up recently.
Retail Building Shelf Motor vehicle Market

Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Engineering Flooring

Reactions: Philmo11
1 - 20 of 21 Posts