National Gun Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Live Free
2,614 Posts
I concur with tossing your current powder measure. That much variance in loads is terrible...unsafe! I have used an RCBS Uniflow for years with great success, but I always weigh at least every 10th charge, and I always do a visual of the loading block once they are charged looking for consistent levels in all cases. I weigh every rifle charge. It is very important to have good lighting over your loading bench and not just depend on room lighting or using a handheld light for that inspection of powder levels in the block. A handheld light can create shadows on part of the block, and you need to see the whole block at one viewing.

It is very helpful to have both the small (pistol) and large (rifle) charging drums for the RCBS Measure and to use a baffle. The baffle will help maintain consistency charge after charge no matter how much powder is in the hopper. I have upgraded my measuring to the RCBS Competition Measure because I like the micrometer adjustments over the standard Uniflow, but they are both good measures.

RCBS Competition Powder Measure Small & Large Metering Drum

But, I never trust any powder measure completely!

·
Super Moderator
10,963 Posts
Product number: 7767783 View attachment 115669
Also a great powder measure. What you want is to ensure that the powder measure you use does not have an plastic moving parts. The powders we use are frequently slightly abrasive and they make short work of plastic parts.

--Wag--

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
My Lee one has plastic parts. Im going to the Walmart today that carries RCBS. And see if they have a uniflo.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
No luck on the uniflo. Im going to order online. I almost bought a rock chucker supreme kit. It has the uniflo with it. Ran to a couple of gun shops too. No luck. I took my lee one apart. It's all scored up inside.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I generally only recommend a Lee powder measure for those that are not sure if they will stay with reloading. It is good enough for a start, but not for production loading or years of heavy use. And always, never trust, check the drops often. If they decide they like reloading they can upgrade later when it starts to degrade from use. Plus they are cheap enough to not be out a lot if they don't stay with it. A lot has to do with why they are reloading and how much they plan to reload. For a lot, cost is a major factor.
Most of the reloaders I personally know don't trust ANY powder measure to be 100%. They verify with a scale and visual. Even with a scale, they can still make mistakes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Im sure ill be upgrading more as i go along too. My dies i got for my 30/30 are Lyman and the shell holders are RCBS.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

·
Live Free
2,614 Posts
Hmm i wonder how these are?
[/QUOT
It gets pretty good reviews from what I have seen...but most of the reviews said nothing (Midway). It has two different size drums for pistol and rifle. I think it is an improvement over the Lee, but I have no experience with it.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts