National Gun Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
That's an extremely wide variation. I would categorize that as totally unacceptable. What were you shooting for?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
3.5-5 grains??? That totally unacceptable. I can’t remember a variation of more than .5 in pistol loads.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I was shooting for 4.5 grains.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I pulled the rounds. I had from 3.4 to 5 gains of powder. Most where at 4.6
that's a purty wide spread.....too wide in my opinion.....too light a charge where powder positioning can possibly play havoc as well.

i try to make my throws +/- 0.2 grains......and will resort to a dipper if need be in order to get there. The dipper is frequently +/- 0.1 grain.

·
Registered
18,231 Posts
And ...... develop the religious habit of looking into your cases after they have been charged to see that the levels of powder are all the same, or at least appear to be. This is easy to do with large cases - .44/.45 - as well as .38/.357's. The range of error you have discovered, 3.5 to 5.0 grains, would stand out and probably have been noticed with a visual inspection. of the powder levels.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Im going to go back to using dippers. Until i get a electronic powder dispenser.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Eye doc called finally. I go see him this afternoon.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Here is the diagnosis. They said where it is, Best to let it alone for now. Removal could cause more dammage.

Midstromal corneal foreign body. No AC Rxn. Normal IOP. Epithelialized. Not bothersome to patient. Monitor and re-evaluate in a few weeks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Damn. Hope it continues to not be a problem. I wear polycarbonate lenses for eye pro. I know they make over glasses eye pro but they are not easy to find locally. So far, all the ones I have tried either scratched the first few uses or won't fit my glasses.
And I can't shoot without them anymore. At least not with sights anyway. If it is close enough to point, yes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,963 Posts
Im going to go back to using dippers. Until i get a electronic powder dispenser.
You don't need to do that, Brotha. Just get a good quality powder measure. I've used the RCBS for thousands of rounds and it even cuts the stick powders quite nicely.

The electronic scales can be problematic too so you never really get past the need to calibrate, check, verify, trickle, etc.

--Wag--

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I use the RCBS powder measure. It’s good but when it gets to real small charges, depending on the type of powder, it get unreliable. Anything in the 2.0 and less is all over the place. Flake powders are a problem at small charges. I set all of my cases into a charging block so I can look at them and I measure every tenth charge.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I started to weigh loads every 10th one too. Started that after my clogged powder through die discovery. Im going to stick with green dot too in 45 acp and 45 colt. And 44 mag. My 45 colt really likes the G,D loads. I was hitting cans today one handed 25 yards this eve. Shot my SBH too. Tried it one handed. A little to much with 12 grains unique behind a 200 grain boolet.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I use the RCBS powder measure. It’s good but when it gets to real small charges, depending on the type of powder, it get unreliable. Anything in the 2.0 and less is all over the place. Flake powders are a problem at small charges. I set all of my cases into a charging block so I can look at them and I measure every tenth charge.
Do you have the pistol barrel for it? They make a large and small barrel for the RCBS. The small one makes it easier for the small charges but you can get away with using the large for most. Under 4 gr i would probably use the small barrel. yes flake powders can be troublesome occasionally depending on which one. I tried using 800x once which is a very large flake and it was all over the place so i did it by hand and didn't buy anymore.

·
Registered
18,231 Posts
The Standard in Powder Measures for over 50 Years
This No. 55 Standard Powder Measure dispenses charge after charge of powder with consistent accuracy to a fraction of a grain. The key to unfailing precision is the 55's unique three slide adjustable cavity. Extra fine adjustments of width and depth provide consistent charges with almost any powder. A 2400 grain reservoir resists chemical action and protects your powder from harmful light rays. An attached knocker assures a complete charge every time. Mount the 55 on your bench or any turret press. No funnel is required.

Includes a 7/8" x 14 thread adapter for press or stand mounting.

The 55's unique 3-slide metering bar can precisely dispense any load. From the smallest pistol to the largest rifle with simple adjustments - no changing slides.

The 55's unique rear mounting clamp maximizes versatility in choices of mounting.

Product number: 7767783

·
Registered
18,231 Posts
My Lyman 55 Powder Measure has been in reliable service since 1972. And I still "visually inspect all my handgun cases for uniform powder levels" after charging them. How else to determine if the slide locks have slipped or I made a bad-throw (timing) or double charge?

Buy all the technology you want or need. Inspect all the case powder levels you throw.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't know why but I have never liked dippers. I much prefer a beam scale or electric scale for accuracy.
I weigh, generally, 2 out of every 10 powder charges. And reset my electric scale every once in a while. I generally set it to give me a tare weight. If I set the cup on it and i is off but more than .2gr I reset it. It is usually pretty good though. I still visually check with a flashlight though to make sure volumes look even. Any that look off at all get re checked.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Like many have said i also use a loading block when single stage loading and shine a light into the cases to make sure they look even to one another. I do this even when a double charge would spill over to make sure i didn't miss one as well. I use a dillon for progressive loading and i stand rather than sit at the bench and when placing a bullet on a case i can look down and see the powder charge as well. The only time i really can't do that is with .357 and 38's using certain powders/charges because the case is tall and slender.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts