National Gun Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I did weigh loaded rounds and compare. Some were 5 grains difference. But then i looked at the head stamps. And separated them. And weighed according to head stamp. I did have a few that were 3 grains different. Im going to pull and check each charge. Im getting back on the horse today too. And shoot it with factory ammo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
CoalCracker, I also have some interesting experience with RIA 1911's. I recently purchased a pair of RIA BBR 3.10 arms in .45ACP. New carry units one for myself and one for my wife. We took them out to shoot both factory and reloads. I discovered that my wife's gun would load and shoot most anything we fed it. Mine on the other hand failed to go into battery on about 25% of the reloads. After significant research on my part I discovered that on each of the failing cartridges the case just above the base was just a couple of thousands of an inch larger than the base diameter. In my opinion my chamber was just slightly smaller than the one on my wife's gun. Fortunately none of the failing rounds went into the chamber far enough to allow the gun to go into battery so none of them ever fired. In my case I felt that I needed to try to ensure my reloads would work properly in my gun. I ordered a LEE undersized resizing die and upon receiving it installed it in my reloader making sure it was absolutely as low as possible in the press.. (I was attempting to make sure that the die would resize the area just above the case base.) Yesterday I loaded 35 rounds using some twice fired brass (same brass that failed earlier). Of the 35 rounds 34 of them dropped right into the chamber of my 1911, The lone failing round has a bullet bulge and does not go into the chamber beyond the bullet bulge, so I discounted that round as being symptomatic of the original fail situation. If your chamber is still in more or less perfect condition I encourage you to see if you may have a situation the same or similar to what I had with my 1911. I'm thinking the your gun either may go into battery earlier than mine or the little case oversize maybe just slightly lower the what it was on mine and allows your gun to go into battery. Might be worth researching. Apologize for the long post.

Mike

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
After i pull the box of rounds in question and check charge weights. Im going to resize the cases and load a new batch and do some plunk checks. My other RIA 1911's ran them fine. Im planing on Micing the throat too. And compare it to my other 2 45's. Heading to the gun club shortly. I report how it goes with the factory ammo.

·
Live Free
2,614 Posts
I did weigh loaded rounds and compare. Some were 5 grains difference. But then i looked at the head stamps. And separated them. And weighed according to head stamp. I did have a few that were 3 grains different. Im going to pull and check each charge. Im getting back on the horse today too. And shoot it with factory ammo.
Three grain variation with same head stamp is for sure worth checking into! How is your eye now? Any diagnosis from the opthamologist?

·
Registered
18,231 Posts
Leave range brass lie. Being exposed to the elements, you never know when corrosion has taken its toll internally. That case (the blown one) looks "tired", just from the rim.

I'm guilty of range-brass harvesting, decades ago, But I just gave it up, unless I saw the shooter loading the gun from New Factory ammo boxes and then walk off after shooting and leaving New, once-fired brass behind. Economizing with the unknown is not worth it.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Another reloader i met. Does not load range pick ups. Unless he knows it's fresh too. He saves it for scrap. Uses the money towards reloading supplies. Eye is feeling great. And no more cloudy vision. Opthamologist did not call back. I see my GP tomorrow ill say something to her about it. Shooting session went well. The 1911 feed all ammo with no hang ups. I also ran my PT 111. And ruger MK4. Later this eve im going to pull them rounds. My son and i are going to the rifle range later. I'll check them when we get back.

·
Live Free
2,614 Posts
Leave range brass lie. Being exposed to the elements, you never know when corrosion has taken its toll internally. That case (the blown one) looks "tired", just from the rim.

I'm guilty of range-brass harvesting, decades ago, But I just gave it up, unless I saw the shooter loading the gun from New Factory ammo boxes and then walk off after shooting. Economizing with the unknown is ot worth it.
I agree! I used to grab everything I found years ago too. I get a lot from folks who leave their fresh once fired brass laying after a range session...that is good by me. Brass that has sat for a while and gotten a bit weathered and/or is mixed headstamps or obvious reloads go to the scrap can. For that matter some once fired brass goes to the scrap can too if it is Maxxtech or other junk.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
what are you using to throw the powder?
i have never used Tite Group

some powders i regulate myself to LEE dippers to remain consistent in the throw

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It's a Lee perfect powder.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
When you reload, do you use a full length sizing die? If the case is just slightly hanging out and the gun is just a tiny bit out of lock up but enough to let it fire, this could be a problem. Just spit balling but I’ll go back and look at that primer again.
In a 1911 along with most guns that i have used even a 1/16th of an inch out of battery and they will not fire. I asked if he was shooting fast thinking maybe the firing pin was stuck forward and it fired as it was closing but he said he was shooting slow.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
i have had problems with the LEE perfect powder measure especially with the course type powders such as RED DOT, Clays, etc....just was not consistent with the small charges thrown compared to the LEE dippers.

normally with a mechanical measure like the RCBS little dandy or the LEE pro auto disk.....with a ball powder such as Accurate No. 2, I will check every tenth throw on the scale along with inspection of the case volume with a flashlight of the charged cases in the loading block...............very uniform and no problems.

with RED DOT, i was so inconsistent i ended up weighing every throw which sort of will negate the advantages of mounting the perfect powder measure to the powder thru expanding die for a direct charge.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
with that i lost trust in the Perfect powder measure and quit using it....it might had been ok with a ball powder, but once trust is lost.......................................................................

·
Registered
422 Posts
Another reloader i met. Does not load range pick ups. Unless he knows it's fresh too. He saves it for scrap. Uses the money towards reloading supplies. Eye is feeling great. And no more cloudy vision. Opthamologist did not call back. I see my GP tomorrow ill say something to her about it. Shooting session went well. The 1911 feed all ammo with no hang ups. I also ran my PT 111. And ruger MK4. Later this eve im going to pull them rounds. My son and i are going to the rifle range later. I'll check them when we get back.
Glad the eye is feeling better. Hope it keeps going that way.
I only use range brass for Cowboy loads or black powder cartridges. Factory box doesn't always mean much. I recycle factory boxes for some of my reloads and just clearly mark them. Others down the line may not see that though. You never know at the range if you are picking up new brass or worn out brass. If I am going to be picking up brass from the range, I will police the area I am shooting. Anything outside that area gets left. If the brass from someone else is landing in my "zone", I will ask if it is new and they want it. If it is used or they want it, I leave all the brass. If mine is reloads and they want the brass, I will tell them how many times I have fired it. I generally track the number of times I load it. Max times is 10 for pistol and 5 for rifle. I have about 2000 of each caliber so I have plenty for now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
It's a Lee perfect powder.
View attachment 115594
I use that too. With ball, and usually flake, powder it is pretty accurate. Especially with lower power loads. With cylindrical powders it sucks. For cylindrical powders and higher pistol loads I will set it low and trickle the final load on a scale. I am ugly enough now without blowing half my face off.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I polished the insides of my powder throw. It helped with metering. Also i give it a tap each time i dump a charge. Fine powders it meters real well. With shot gun powders it does vary by .4 grains. I load with those in the middle of the recipe. I plan getting one of them electric powder dispensers.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The primer you posted up front doesn’t really show an over charge. Yes it’s a bit flat but I’ve seen much flatter ones. I think it wan an out of battery discharge which is why it blew out the bottom of the brass near the rim and didn’t harm the chamber area of the gun.
look at these:
ACACD30E-AF19-42C5-A3B7-4B0CC681B14D.jpeg
ACACD30E-AF19-42C5-A3B7-4B0CC681B14D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If you notice the case stayed intact but the primers are flat as all get out.
This is yours. It’s hot but not that hot. Those flattened ones are 10mm and is a much hotter round than the .45ACP.
D6DC8FC9-0523-4E43-8835-1037AB91EF64.jpeg

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yeah i was looking at my other primer strikes. They were the same depth. Only difference is where the chome color plated came off the primer some.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I pulled the rounds. I had from 3.4 to 5 gains of powder. Most where at 4.6

41 - 60 of 90 Posts