National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think i double charged one. Glad i was shooting a 1911. All the rounds remaining blew out the bottom of the mag. My face took a few small cuts. My nerves were shot after that too. I don't know if it was a polymer framed gun. More damage could have happened. I had a rough time removing the mag sleeve. Going to pull the rest of the batch and reload to be safe.

·
Live Free
2,614 Posts
Whoa! That looks nasty! Glad you are not hurt any more than some minor stuff! I too am curious what the load was, or was supposed to be. More than anything, I am glad you are okay.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should have been 4.5 grains of tight group. 230 grain coated cast. T.G is a fast hot powder. Im going to clean the barrel real good and look it over with a magnifying glass.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
10,285 Posts
Glad you're here typing about it. Could've been a lot worse.
Stay safe my friend.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I inspected the out side of the barrel. No cracks. I have the bore soaking in E,R . Im glad it's a bull barrel.

·
Registered
422 Posts
One reason I like my single stage press. I do the powder charge with a LEE powder measure. I also weigh at least one out of 10 to verify. Empty brass on the left, charged brass on the right. And inspect with a flashlight after to make sure nothing looks off.
I have seen what happens with overcharged ammo. You were lucky.
The local gun store has a polymer handgun, or what's left of it hanging by their reloading supplies with a small sign on it.
DOUBLE CHECK YOUR POWDER AND CHARGE.
I have also seen the results when you mistakenly use CFE Pistol instead of CFE 223. Not pretty. Or cheap.
Careful out their folks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Damn Coal! Glad to hear you’re alright and you pistol survived. Be carful. You’re not me, you know.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good thing you're okay.

How often do you reuse brass? (Maybe this one was at the end of its service life last reload?).)

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use it until the primer pockets get sloppy. IE primers seat way to easy. Or until the side of the case splits. I just got back from the ER. My right eye started to bother me real bad. And my vision is cloudy. I have to see an opthamologist tomorrow. I have an outer abrasion they could see. With the equipment they have at the ER. But they suspect i could have something deeper in my eye.

·
AZHerper
3,519 Posts
Coal; i'm very glad that you're OK. I'm sure that you remember me "harping" about fast burning powders enhancing the probability of double charging. I've always preferred loads that charge cases to more than 50 percent to basically eliminate that possibility. Once again, I'm happy that both you and your gun are OK.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes i had my eye glasses on. Im going to start wearing safety googles too. I used up all my tight group. So no more of that. I replaced it with Sport pistol.

·
Live Free
2,614 Posts
I use it until the primer pockets get sloppy. IE primers seat way to easy. Or until the side of the case splits. I just got back from the ER. My right eye started to bother me real bad. And my vision is cloudy. I have to see an opthamologist tomorrow. I have an outer abrasion they could see. With the equipment they have at the ER. But they suspect i could have something deeper in my eye.
That does not sound good with your eye...praying for you my friend!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts