National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today i purchased the ruger 22/45 model p512. As i was learning more about this gun, i saw something about dry-firing rugers. It said that they have a feature that protects the guns internal components from being damaged when dry-fired. But when i talked to ruger representatives, they said they heard no such thing. Can anyone confirm or just debunk this "myth".

Thanks,
Beisen

·
Banned
105 Posts
IF,and it's a big if, buddy, the tolerance of the retaining pin hole in the firing pin, and the length of the bolt and the barrel are in spec, the firing pin won't hit the back of the Ruger's barrel very hard. that is how they got away with not having a bolt hold open feature (on the last shot fired). However, the retaining pin falls out easily, any time that you have the bolt out of the upper receiver. If this is not noticed and replaced, only a very few drysnaps will show deformation at the rear of the barrel, interfering with extraction and feeding.

·
Super Moderator
5,832 Posts
I have not read that about the Ruger Marks. I have had a few 22/45s Mark IIs and dry firing them every once in a while is fine imo. Had no problems in firing or function of the firearm. The Mark IIIs I do not know about but will probably buy one soon lol. What does your manual say about dry firing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts