National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,
I am well into my senior years but still love to go to the range and pop some caps. My oldest weapon is a 1903-A3 Springfield that I purchased when I was about 10 years old and BTW, you did NOT need a check by some government agency back then. My newest weapon is a M&P 9 Shield that is a lot of fun to practice with and I still take my old semi-auto .22 rifle out, mainly because the ammo is so cheap.

My Grandfather left me his pistol, a 38 Special CTG, when he retired from being the Sheriff of Rocksprings, Texas. I am hoping that some of you experts can tell me more about the pistol that he left to me. It has MADE IN U.S.A. on the right side and the S/N of 27031 in several places, bottom of the grip with a V stamped on one side of a sling mount(?) and S/N on the other side, on the rear of the 6-round revolver section, underneath the barrel and inside the frame it has a number stamped of 22677. The pistol has a 4" barrel and any information you might care to share with me would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Ray

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,347 Posts
Welcome from NC!

·
Aim true !
10,340 Posts

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Welcome from Florida.

If it is indeed, a 38S&W, it does not fire the standard 38 Special. These were made for the British during WWII. Use Google and you'll get volumes of pages to read.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the 'Welcomes' and it looks like this will be a very nice place to hang out. My grandads service pistol is an actual 38 Special and was made in the U.S.A. It is smooth to fire except it bangs my middle finger with the trigger guard once in awhile but maybe that is because I have some pretty big hands. Thanks in advance for all the suggestions and assistance in helping me to get all the stats for his old pistol, I think it is about 76 years old.

Cheers to everyone and y'all take care.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,985 Posts
Greetings and Salutations

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
S/N indicates it was built between 1902/1903 (pre-war) It is chambered in 38 Special. I would not attempt to shoot it until it has been inspected by a gunsmith. The CTG abv. stands for cartridge.

and welcome from central a Florida.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the information. As an older shooter and and experienced gun handler, I did inspect the weapon before firing it and it is in like-new condition. My Grandfather kept all of his weapons in pristine condition due to this profession, Sheriff of Rocksprings, Texas and the occasional altercation he would have to get involved with in relation to his job. The only thing I don't care for is the way the trigger guard is designed and the way my big ole hands fit on the pistol. I am right handed and my middle finger fits right behind the trigger guard and when I fire the pistol, my finger gets a pretty severe beating. I do not fire it very often due to that feature and I mostly just treasure it because it was my Grandfathers. Again, than you very much for the information and I certainly appreciate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts