National Gun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I doubt your going to like hunting either. You have to sit for hours, all along, unless your " runnin and gunnin" but still you be all alone.
I wouldn't mind being awake in the woods all alone with a gun. Sleeping all alone at night in the woods creeps me out unless there is both a big dog and a gun with me in my tent.

·
Live Free
4,182 Posts
Okay, it creeps you out, I think we have mostly picked up on that.

Years ago when I was a kid growing up I had a fear of the water and was really creeped out about the idea of being in a lake or stream, let alone a pool. I did not learn to swim because as a young man I could not get over that. In the military I was stationed in Florida for a spell, and that is where things changed for me regarding water. I decided I was going to learn to swim, and I was going to do it right there in the warm waters of the gulf. Long story short, I taught myself to swim and learned to overcome the creepy sensation being out in a large body of water used to give me. Within three months I joined a couple friends snorkeling across the bay near Destin and half way across encountered some dolphins. Really unnerved me at first, but they were really marvelous creatures that acted quite friendly even to the point of being able to touch them. The next summer I was snorkeling in the Florida Keys (awesome!) and had a close encounter with a barracuda (suddenly my knife seemed quite worthless as this creature stared at me almost nose to nose for a brief second) then he was gone with a flip of his tail. A year later I remember stopping our boat in the middle of Lake Mead to go swimming for a bit.

You gotta get over what scares you or “creeps you out” and you will enjoy great experiences. I have encountered bears, cougars and elk within spitting distance of my tent while camping in wilderness areas...none of them caused me any harm. The world is just full of awesome creatures and beautiful forests, mountains and lakes and...ya don’t want to miss out on them!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I absolutely agree with you, it is very dangerous and even sad to trip and camp all alone. Indeed, we have experienced whit unexpected meetings with animals and I am always afraid of them. More than all, you can't predict in advance what is on his mind and how he will behave. To tell the truth, I like camping very much and I was ordering for a long time all the necessary gear for long trips and rest on nature from 🔆Bright Camping - Guide to the best camping gear & locations in Australia. Honestly, it would be difficult to pack, install, and carry all this by yourself if you would travel alone.

·
Live Free
4,182 Posts
I think it is very dangerous and even sad to trip and camp all alone.
It is far more dangerous to drive a car. A little solitude now and then allows me to focus on the wonder of the world around me and the God who created it all. I enjoy camping and hunting with family and friends, but a little solitude now and then is quite refreshing.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
True but the topic is of some interest and the conversation is good.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Yeah I just noticed that here lately someone had been posting in threads that had been inactive for years with the OP of the thread long gone from the site.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
28,541 Posts
Is it suspicious that the new guy resurrected a thread started by a banned member?

Reactions: Stamps6

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,751 Posts
That is a pet peeve of mine. When newcomers bump old threads.
As we use this forum software more and more I really believe vBulletin forum software is far superior.
There is a feature in vBulletin where it will put a prompt in the reply box that you have to physically check to reply to a thread if it has not had activity in a set amount of time. That feature really puts a stop to necro-posting.

·
Super Moderator
15,811 Posts
Since this thread won't seem to die...

I grew up in South Louisiana in the heart of the Atchafalaya Basin swamps. I spent nearly all my free time out in those swamps. I wore out more hip boots than tennis shoes. Camping in the swamp, if you want to call it that, was pretty simple. I found a big oak tree and that's where the only non-swamp ground was from the centuries of oak leaves and acorns dropping creating a mound. I then sat down and sprayed OFF all over any body part that was going to be exposed for any length of time, leaned back against that tree and slipped in and out of sleep waiting to see some faint bit of morning light. I "camped" mostly in the winter months so there were not many creepy crawlers around, not many anyway. Mostly didn't think about them too much. If you leave them alone they mostly leave you alone. A fire wasn't really necessary because there was a real good chance that it was going to rain. An army surplus poncho was way more valuable than a fire. I'd just wake up at some point and wait till I could see, check things out and be on my way...

Everybody down there carried a shotgun hunting or nearly at any other time. Rifles were kinda rare and pistols even rarer... People had them but the shotgun was the go to.

My mother didn't like it one bit but my dad knew that I could take care of myself, and if I couldn't then it was high time I learned...

By morning all the fun of camping ad pretty much worn off and I'd head back to the house. There was always a good meal waiting...

Now staying out in the South Texas Brush gives me a moment of pause... Yeah there's snakes but the bane of South Texas camping is the Tick. Dealing with a couple of thousand seed ticks is NOT a fun camping activity... All it takes is brushing against the wrong branch once and you can pick up a thousand or so and not know it till hours later when they al settle in for a drink...

Alan

·
Super Moderator
15,811 Posts
When I went to college the first time, I did a lot of camping. I found that taking a squaw along sure brightened up the camping experience.

Then there were the camping trips where I'd wake up and not know where I was, how I got there, or whether the sun was going up or down...

These days I camp at a Holiday Inn Express...

Alan

·
AZHerper
5,782 Posts
When I went to college the first time, I did a lot of camping. I found that taking a squaw along sure brightened up the camping experience.

Then there were the camping trips where I'd wake up and not know where I was, how I got there, or whether the sun was going up or down...

These days I camp at a Holiday Inn Express...

Alan
I particularly like the "squaw" part. Of course both you and I are both old enough that we couldn't care less about whether or not a comment is "PC".

·
Super Moderator
15,811 Posts
`People just need to grow some skin. I enjoyed having that little squaw along so much I kept her around. 46 years now. She runs a tight Teepee!

Alan

Reactions: Zhills and Popeye

·
Registered
Have had guns since 1950. Own pistols, rifles, and carbines. Shoot regularly as I can weather permit
326 Posts
Always took the squaw approach when I could find one. Decades ago it was easy to find one whom wanted to go Camping. :) Then I got married. Camping finally wore out. Now she demands a motel. Sigh!:(

21 - 40 of 41 Posts