National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemma. I’ve been saving for a Glock G22. Not because I need it, but to round out the ammo (have 9, 45, 380, 38 special, 357 mag, 22lr and 22 mag). Been wanting a .40, but…

I love bolt rifles too. I really love my .243. Problem is, I can’t find that ammo anywhere. Enter the opportunity…

A nice Browning xbolt in 223. That ammo is plentiful and would offer lots of range and fun time.

Here is the question. My gut says rifle. But my mind says listen to the data. So is there a reason to choose the .40 S&W over the .223 bolt action rifle I might not be weighing?

Thanks all.

·
Live Free
4,425 Posts
From my view point, the Browning would be the best investment. Nothing against the Glock (but I am not a fan). Really though, you just gotta go with what you want most.

BTW, .243 ammo is available where I live.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my view point, the Browning would be the best investment. Nothing against the Glock (but I am not a fan). Really though, you just gotta go with what you want most.

BTW, .243 ammo is available where I live.
Thanks man. That’s my gut too. There is no .243 here. I have a .308 but it isn’t my fun range time if you know what I mean. Even ammoseek is bleak. But I do like Browning and I don’t really need a .40. I love .45 Most. Tolerate the 9.

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
If you dont really need the 40 and you feel it will be more fun with the x-bolt 223 at the range, then x-bolt. The Glock 22 is the large size Glock though the Glock 23 or 27 might be a bit better for carry.

·
Live Free
4,425 Posts
Thanks man. That’s my gut too. There is no .243 here. I have a .308 but it isn’t my fun range time if you know what I mean. Even ammoseek is bleak. But I do like Browning and I don’t really need a .40. I love .45 Most. Tolerate the 9.
Depending on the rifle, a .308 can start to wear on you at the range! The .223 would be a good range shooter; easy on the shoulder and less expensive ammo.

Yeah, I like my .45’s too! Gotta few hanging around.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Normally I'd say something like it's up to you, blah, blah, blah. I will say buy the 223 rifle. Ammo is readily available and under normal circumstances for a rifle cal be inexpensive. You hear talk of the 40 going away, not likely in my opinion but if it does disappear the 223 will still be here.

Reloading's not for everyone but it's time to consider if it's right for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This past year i shot 80% rifles vs hand guns. Before i joined a club with a 300 yard range. I shot more hand guns. Buy what you think your going to shoot the most. Then after you have the funds buy the other.
Thanks man. I like shooting rifles more but like cleaning them less. Most range time I find with handguns because it is the easy button. Another glimpse into the psychology, right?!? And the big bag, and all the crap to drag around… ha ha.

·
Aim true !
14,010 Posts
Yeah i hate taking my rifles and gear in after an outing. I keep everything on the second floor. Don't clean them often though. I'll run a oil patch through the bore after im done. The semi-auto 22's ill clean the action.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah i hate taking my rifles and gear in after an outing. I keep everything on the second floor. Don't clean them often though. I'll run a oil patch through the bore after im done. The semi-auto 22's ill clean the action.
I’ve been using bore snakes as an intermediate. Seems to work pretty well. But a handgun is so much easier. By the time I make this decision I’ll probably have enough money for both. It’s not a need. I really like the 243, ammo is just hard right now. I may have talked myself out of both! May as well just dust off the old 20 gauge. It’s fun too!!! And I can find ammo for it.

·
Aim true !
14,010 Posts
I was afraid of reloading too. It dawned on me one day. I shoot black powder. Well it's also reloading less the casings.The fellows here helped me when i started. My 1st reloads were 9mm and 45 ACP. It took off from there. I wish i started a long long time ago. Im a reloading fanatic now lol.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've been reloading with the same stuff since I was 23 y.o. and I'm quite a bit older now and it's something you never learn everything about. Anyone ever tells you they know all about reloading needs to be reloaded. There's nothing to be afraid of unless you can't follow formal procedures and zero a scale consistently. I still trust balance beam scales over the electronic stuff. You know what you're getting when you hand reload unless you have a tendency to day dream.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been reloading with the same stuff since I was 23 y.o. and I'm quite a bit older now and it's something you never learn everything about. Anyone ever tells you they know all about reloading needs to be reloaded. There's nothing to be afraid of unless you can't follow formal procedures and zero a scale consistently. I still trust balance beam scales over the electronic stuff. You know what you're getting when you hand reload unless you have a tendency to day dream.
Thank you. I have a local FFL, an individual, I have gotten to know from some deliveries. I will reach out to him for some local guidance. Atomic Firearms for those in the local market. Great guy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts