National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
1,408 Posts
breechloading 1859 Sharps Berdan rifle

While growing up, I was fascinated with the era between the French and Indian War, and the Civil War. I’m a fan of all types of historic blackpowder firearms, but at that time, I was enamored with the breechloading 1859 Sharps Berdan rifle. In comparison to today’s rifles, it was the M14 DMR of it’s era.

Have a good cigar and regards
As-salāmu ʿalaykum
ARMARIN

· Registered
6,726 Posts
that price range probably cva..........for one of the modern break-over designs.....if i just had to have one in a hurry and a modern one.

add a hundred and i would look at a lyman trades rifle.........add a bit more for a great plains.

you can find some decent deals at gun shows on some bp guns.......still kicking myself for not snapping up that old purty T/C new englander.....for around 250 and she was real clean.

· Banned
129 Posts
that price range probably cva..........for one of the modern break-over designs.....if i just had to have one in a hurry and a modern one.

add a hundred and i would look at a lyman trades rifle.........add a bit more for a great plains.

you can find some decent deals at gun shows on some bp guns.......still kicking myself for not snapping up that old purty T/C new englander.....for around 250 and she was real clean.
+1

· Registered
2,634 Posts
I use a Knight Shadow in-line with a Nikon Omega Scope. Have killed deer out to 150 yds. When I bought it from Cabelas the whole thing came it under $500 but that was some time ago. Not my favorite thing to clean.

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Kaleb:
You might be able to find one of the inline muzzle loaders in that price range. If you're looking for a quality traditional muzzle loader you want to start with a couple hundred dollars more. I highly recommend the Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54 caliber.

· Registered
74 Posts
If your state does not allow a break action muzzleloader, I would also look at a Thompson Omega. It has a rolling Block, so it is even allowed in States like Massachusetts. That is also a super sweet Shootin muzzleloader. Most variants may put you in the 400 to $500 range, but I would not shy away from a good one and use condition, either.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
Get the nitride coated.

· Registered
17,525 Posts
Used muzzle loaders in my area never hold their value. front stuffers or inlines. The only exceptions are higher end stuff that cost's over $800 and up new. Most gun shops won't give much for them and that's if you can get them to buy them. You can usually find some really good deals around here. If you start looking at used the two biggest things to check first is to see if it's loaded which is super common. If it's unloaded check the bore good for rust or heavy pitting. many people just don't take care of them like they are supposed to. You never said what style you're looking for but CVA, Thompson and Traditions are good places to start.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
I ah well have 3 all less than $300 (secondary market) I`d suggest that route USED decent see if your going to enjoy. I`d rather be out $100 vs $400 on a trial

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.