National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which gun would you choose?

On last night's "Survivorman", Les had to survive 7 days in the Amazon river basin jungle, with only a spear for protection against jaguars, etc. He actually saw and was followed by a jag at the end of his 7 days.

Les was unarmed (except for the spear and his Leatherman Surge), but I wouldn't be, and I bet you wouldn't be, either. With that in mind, I've prepared a list of weapons, from which you can choose one for your very own 7 day Amazon jungle survival experience. Use it for protection, food gathering, etc.

Choose well.
:cool:

·
Registered
957 Posts
How many can I have? Where's the list?

I love Survivorman, Its no fair that he can carry a gun more often, I've only seen one episode where he had one, the episode where he was in the artic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, OK ... so I didn't post the list ... YOU post 'The List' ... your choice. Make a bad choice and you may 'bite the big one!'

... or, 'the big one' may bite/eat YOU!
:-B-:

The more I thought about it .... the more I thought I'd better keep my word and offer a selection to choose from. SO, if you need some ideas - here's the list!

Which of these handguns would you choose for your 7 day Amazon survival adventure?

Glock 20 10mm. Powerful, lightweight and hi capacity.

Smith and Wesson Mountain Gun 4" stainless Model 29 .44 Mag. Plenty of power for jaguars.

Ruger Mk III stainless Hunter 5 1/2" .22. Great for food gathering.

Kimber TLE II stainless .45 ACP.

Ruger KP95 9mm. Hi capacity and ruggedly reliable.

Smith and Wesson 8" bbl. .500 S&W Mag. Even more power for those pesky jags!

Taurus "The Judge" .410/.45 Colt revolver. Versatility!

Glock 29 10mm. Compact powerhouse.

:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
smith & wesson mountain .44 mag. take care of the cougars first, worry about food later or eat the cougar. but i'd choose a 12ga. short barreled 18" to 24" barrel (here's where delilah comes in S9) 50 rounds #6 shot, 50 rounds SSG.if i run out of ammo and there's still cougars around, then i guess the cougars are overpopulated. pblsyd

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Yup! That's what I was thinking...... Delilah would do just fine! She would quickly dispense of the nasty critters. I'd worry about food later!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I find it difficult to fathom he doesn't have a backup firearm,I'd want the Ruger Black-Hawk 44 Mag at vary least.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd take the Judge:
.45 CorBon will take down the big cats, #4 shot in 2 2/1" 410 will fetch food. Best of both worlds.
That's what I keep by my bedside, start with 410 to the face = blind bad guy, .45 slugs is he insists on wanting more.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well, I'd like to carry a 10, my Kimber infact. I used to have a G 20, couldnt hit with it, the only gun I've ever sold.

I'd also like to have the 44 mag wheel gun, and a 44 mag lever gun too, lots of ammo too.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I'll settle for the Kimber 45 acp. I think the Ruger 22 is probably the best choice for getting food, but I feel most comfortable with a 45 acp. I know how to shoot that gun well and I feel well protected against about anything in that area with that gun and the right ammo.

Big cats up to 250+ lbs will not like getting shot with a hot 45 acp load!

For food I will fish!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sig232 said:
I'll settle for the Kimber 45 acp. I think the Ruger 22 is probably the best choice for getting food, but I feel most comfortable with a 45 acp. I know how to shoot that gun well and I feel well protected against about anything in that area with that gun and the right ammo.

For food I will fish!
Yes and being shot with the 45 ACP,that cat just may make the shooter cat sheeet,sorry the 45 ACP is not enough for animals that can eat me,or piss off.My book says kill the Lion and eat it with enough gun.45 ACP is man medicine not dangerous game medicine.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
JoeLee said:
sig232 said:

For food I will fish!
Yes and being shot with the 45 ACP,that cat just may make the shooter cat sheeet,sorry the 45 ACP is not enough for animals that can eat me,or piss off.My book says kill the Lion and eat it with enough gun.45 ACP is man medicine not dangerous game medicine.

Actually a 9mm will dispatch a thin skinned big car very nicely if you can shoot straight. A 45 acp will take out a Cougar with no problem. Now if you run into a black bear the 45 might do the job but then again it might not. I will take for 44 mag for the black bear.

I had a friend that killed a small black bear with a 22 Long Rifle hand single action. Shot it through the top of the head where the skull is thinner. Side of a bear skull is very thin also, but head on a 44 mag can skip off the bone unless placed just right.

Back many years ago a state trooper in Oregon killed a lion that had escaped from the Zoo. It was not a Cougar it was a full size lion. All the state troopers were on the alert for the big cat for several days. This particular trooper was visiting a farm and knocked on the door, nobody was home. He walked to the barn and around the back of the barn and saw the lion in the field behind the barn. The lion had killed a horse and spotted the trooper about the same time the trooper saw him. The lion shoved the dead horse out of the way with his massive paw and came for the trooper. The trooper pulled out his 357 mag, and as the story goes decided to fire all but the last round at the cat and save the last round for himself. He was able to kill the large lion with a couple of rounds, lucky shots according to his account. Lions can be well over 350-450 lbs.

Most Cougars do not run that big in this area. They are man sized, very quick but not hard to kill with a well placed shot.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The trooper pulled out his 357 mag, and as the story goes decided to fire all but the last round at the cat and save the last round for himself.
lol that sounds funny...

I know it isn't, but hey, I'm a sick ******* :twisted:

But when I think about it, I'd rather shoot myself with a .357 than be mauled by a lion I guess :?

PS: I'd take a Glock 20. Plenty of firepower (for a handgun) and I'm familiar with Glocks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'd take an M14 with about 11 total magazines. Don't need much else except for survival gear and water.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lad, here's where we part ways. I'd rather NOT hump an M1A through any jungles/across any deserts, etc., when a holstered semi-auto or wheel-gun could do the same job, at a LOT less weight.

You'd really want to lug that rifle all over? All you really need is accurate shot placement ... and you don't have to save the last round for your noggin! Remember, "Practice, practice, practice!"
:oops:

M1A .308 ~ 9.9 pounds ~ empty/minus scope ~ mags of ammo = more weight.

OR

.45 WinMag LAR Grizzly Mark I ~ 3.4pounds ~ 7 rounds in mag

Smith .500 4" barrel ~ 3 1/2 pounds ~ 5 rounds - (more in pocket :D )

... guess which I'd pick - and I have on occasion, when concerned about getting eaten.
:shock:

·
Registered
761 Posts
zipperzap said:
Lad, here's where we part ways. I'd rather NOT hump an M1A through any jungles/across any deserts, etc., when a holstered semi-auto or wheel-gun could do the same job, at a LOT less weight.

You'd really want to lug that rifle all over? All you really need is accurate shot placement ... and you don't have to save the last round for your noggin! Remember, "Practice, practice, practice!"
:oops:

M1A .308 ~ 9.9 pounds ~ empty/minus scope ~ mags of ammo = more weight.

OR

.45 WinMag LAR Grizzly Mark I ~ 3.4pounds ~ 7 rounds in mag

Smith .500 4" barrel ~ 3 1/2 pounds ~ 5 rounds - (more in pocket :D )

... guess which I'd pick - and I have on occasion, when concerned about getting eaten.
:shock:

I'd still pick the M14. I can use it to kill game at long range to feed myself with if need be. Plus the full auto is sure to take down any critter looking to feed itself with me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts