National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you one of the hunters that still uses the old 30-30 or 35 remington to hunt deer in the woods?
They are still quite popular in this state in most of the hunting grounds. The eastern desert area requires a longer range rifle for Anelope and other critters that frequent the flatlands.

The lever actions are used often here, especially among experienced hunters and new hunters on a limited budget. There was a time when the 30-30 was the king of the woods and it was used to kill about anything in the NW.

What is your hunting experience? Still use the lever rifles or have you made the switch to a bolt action 300 mag?

G

·
I like the .243 caliber, winchester makes rounds for varmint, deer, elk and buffalo. What ever power you want, they can make it. ;)

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 243 is a nice deer and varmit cal. But in Oregon it would be considered too light for Elk or Bear.

Elk hunters like the 30-06, 300 mag and cals in that range to drop a 1K lb animal! But we all know its really shot placement that counts and If you hit them in the right place down they go.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I've mentioned a couple of times that my .357 and .41 Marlin lever guns are pure hell on coyotes. Hope to take one of them with me here in a week or two to go after them again.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've been hunting for just over 50 years, and still use a Winchester 30-30, or my Marlin 44 mag. Ya have to apply the right firearm to the particular game animal.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I've gotta believe that a lever action is the long gun equivalent of a revolver.

Highly reliable, never a FTF, never jams.

While this may not be such a convincing argument in a concrete urban setting or being protected in a holster, out in the field is a different story.

As an aside, I've only been hunting a few times, and that was years ago.

My idea of a good day hunting consists of:

Get out pre-dawn
Freeze my butt off
Eat my lunch by 6AM
Lean up against a tree
Freeze my butt off
Take a nap
Wake up
Go home
Get something to eat
Take a nap.

One of my younger brothers hunts, a 20 minute drive to his home gets me all the venison I want.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Browning makes lever action rifles chambered in belted magnum calibers, non belted too.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I hunt with both a Marlin 336 .35 rem and a Rem .270 in a box stand/shooting house. The .35 has great knockdown because it seems to use all its energy inside an animal and just barely coming out the other side of him and youll know if you miss because a tree just fell :D . I shoot 150gr for better trajectory. Anything over 100yds I have to take the safety off the .270.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
well i dont have one now but i might be getting a lever action...and i now a 30-30 will, but can a .44 mag from a rifle take a deer?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
It can, if you can.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I hunt with both a Marlin 336 .35 rem and a Rem .270 in a box stand/shooting house. The .35 has great knockdown because it seems to use all its energy inside an animal and just barely coming out the other side of him and youll know if you miss because a tree just fell :D . I shoot 150gr for better trajectory. Anything over 100yds I have to take the safety off the .270.
+1 but with a 30-30 and a .270

·
Registered
811 Posts
I still take the 30-30 out sometimes. This year Im going to try deer hunting with a handgun for the first time.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
this year I picked up a Winchester mod88 in .308, a classic lever gun. If I have time to get it to the range, I might use it this year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts