National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it working hunting in USA?

In Italy, for practice huntig, we must to take a really hard exam about animals, nature, first aid, law and guns.
After the exam you can go hunting only with an expert hunter for the first year and you can hunting only with shootgun.
If you want practice hunting you must take others exams... :mad2:
Here it's not allowed hunting with air guns, pistol and crossbow (but it's allowed with bow...:eek:ut:)

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Every state is a little different. I’m from New Jersey. Here we have to take a state course based mostly on safety and basic law. It’s about a 4 hour class followed buy some field work focusing on trailing a wounded animal and some basic field safety. There is a shooting test based on how safely you handle your gun. For the archery course, it’s the same but you do have to prove your proficiency with a bow and arrow. We hunt with crossbows, shotguns, rifles, muzzleloader, compound bow and traditional recurve or longbow. Anyone can go hunting after the safety course. You don’t need any further tests. There are local, state and federal laws to follow but they are not difficult.
In my state, there is small game ( pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, etc ) There is big game ( deer and bear) and water foul ( goose and duck) and there’s lots of other game like predators like fox and coyote seasons. We start hunting in September and it all ends in April, just in time for fishing season.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
20,904 Posts
Here in North Carolina, if you had a prior year's hunting license you can simply renew your license to hunt for the current year. If you don't have a prior year's hunting license, you have to take a hunter safety course. Personally I have a lifetime hunting/fishing license, so I can hunt/fish every year without the hassle of renewing my license.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
I have lived and hunted in Colorado, North Dakota, Nevada, and Florida. Most states have similar requirements as to hunter ed classes, minimum age for solo hunting, etc. Then each state has it's own laws regarding what can be hunted, how many you are allowed to kill, when you can do it (months and day time hours), etc. Add in that some animals, mostly doves and waterfowl, that migrate between many states, fall under the federal government for some rules and under the states for some rules. It can sound a lot more complex than it really is; where someone may get confused is where they live in one state and want to go hunt in another state.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Many states allow you to take part of the course on-line with a face to face at the end. IHEA covers the basic requirements for Hunter Ed. Not terribly complicated or demanding.

Home

·
Registered
418 Posts
In Texas we can use rifles, bows, shotguns and crossbows.
If you were born after 1972, you have to take a hunter education class, I believe it's 8 hours of class or it can be taken online for 9 yr olds and up.
Hunting license is $25 for the year and includes up to 5 turkey, a mule deer and up to 5 whitetail deer. Deer and turkey depends on which county you are hunting in. It also includes hunting small game and non-game animals.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have not hunted since I was a teen, in the late 1950s. In New Jersey, I took a safety course, and you could only use shotguns or "regular" bows.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
And if you really want some reading fun, go to Florida's web site (myfwc.com), things to do, hunting. The regulations and dates are all about hunting private land and the public lands (Wildlife Management Areas) each have their own regulations and dates and most require a lottery type quota permit to hunt. To a newbie it's totally confusing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your answers :thumbsup:

Who does airguns hunting? I like so much this kind of guns, and Im follewed in love about big bore air rifle (never see one in Italy)

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
I use a RWS 34 to keep my bird feeders free of squirrels.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Hunting is an American tradition. Even lazy city folk like me like to get out every now and again and act country. Fantasize of living off the land harvesting your own food. I'd starve to death.

In this country hunters are friends of wildlife. They pay license fee's that pay for wildlife stocking and management as well as some for some habitat. I keep hearing that some species like Whitetail deer are more plentiful now than they were back in the old days. I find that hard to believe because of habitat loss but hey unless proven otherwise it must be true.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Hunting is an American tradition. Even lazy city folk like me like to get out every now and again and act country. Fantasize of living off the land harvesting your own food. I'd starve to death.

In this country hunters are friends of wildlife. They pay license fee's that pay for wildlife stocking and management as well as some for some habitat. I keep hearing that some species like Whitetail deer are more plentiful now than they were back in the old days. I find that hard to believe because of habitat loss but hey unless proven otherwise it must be true.
State DOWs typically keep records of harvest data from year to year. It shouldn't be too hard to notice any trend like that.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thank you for your answers :thumbsup:

Who does airguns hunting? I like so much this kind of guns, and Im follewed in love about big bore air rifle (never see one in Italy)
I belong to a UK airgun forum, and subscribe to a UK airgun magazine, mainly because they are really into airguns. It is common for them to use airguns for game birds, rabbits, and squirrels because owning a firearm is very difficult. Also, there are few, if any, "public" game lands like we have in the US. So they have to get a written "permission" from a owner of private land, such as a farm. Scotland makes it very difficult to even own a airgun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In Italy don't exist a really different between pubblic and private lands about hunting activities.
If you have the hunting licence you can practice hunt also in a private contryside land (but there are some excepitions...)

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
20,904 Posts
Here in North Carolina, if you hunt your own land, you're not required to get a hunting license.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Here in North Carolina, if you hunt your own land, you're not required to get a hunting license.
Not even for things like migratory birds? Not even for deer, which are property of the state?

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
20,904 Posts
Not even for things like migratory birds? Not even for deer, which are property of the state?
Nope. However if you shoot a deer on your property and it runs off onto your neighbor's property, then you need a license before you can retrieve it.

I didn't write the rules, I just try and follow them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts