National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Oregon hunting manual says that you can use any 22 caliber center fire rifle for the general season. In some areas when hunting for Elk, and Bear you must use a 24 caliber or greater.

I thought that there was a 30 caliber requirement for Elk and Bear. I was wrong! What a surprise, I imagine there is a lot of wounded Deer, Elk and Bear wandering around the woods. No wonder we run into pissed off bears once in a great while! ;)

But you cannot have more than 5 rounds in your magazine if using a semi-auto rifle. You also cannot use any Laser devices.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Are those "minimum" calibers? Or that is what you are supposed to use? I have lived in 5 states and hunted in 13. If I am not mistaken, most of them forbid the use of 22 caliber ammo for medium and large game.

My deer gun is a 308 Win, Elk is a 45/70 or 338 Win Mag, 243 for Javelin, 270 for feral pig. I save the 223 stuff for prairie dogs and coyotes.

·
Registered
648 Posts
you would be supprised how well and how many people use a .243 for deer and black bear.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
No I wouldn't. I use to. But the muleys run kinda big in these parts. I would not think twice about a 243 for a white tail.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dogsoldier said:
Are those "minimum" calibers? Or that is what you are supposed to use? I have lived in 5 states and hunted in 13. If I am not mistaken, most of them forbid the use of 22 caliber ammo for medium and large game.

My deer gun is a 308 Win, Elk is a 45/70 or 338 Win Mag, 243 for Javelin, 270 for feral pig. I save the 223 stuff for prairie dogs and coyotes.

Those are the minimum listed calibers spelled out in the hunters manual! The 2007 Oregon Big Game Regulations.

If I read it right in certain hunting areas you can hunt for ELK and Black Bear with 223!! Thats nuts!

In all areas your minimum caliber is 243! Thats OK for Deer but way too light for ELK and Bear, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
[quote="sig232] In all areas your minimum caliber is 243! Thats OK for Deer but way too light for ELK and Bear, in my opinion.[/quote]

The only caliber that would make me comfortable with those Big Brownies would be a 20mm Vulcan chain gun!

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
First rule: bring enough gun. You owe it to the game animal. Plus, who wants to track that far.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
.243W for eastern and southern whitetails would be fine.

I would be comfortable with a .260Remington or 6.5x55 up to Elk or Black Bears.

For Brownies I would go with a .30-06 with 180gr Barnes

G

·
sounds awful light to me especially for elk and all bruins. i suppose they would all work in a perfect situation. totally broadside no angling to or away and within reasonable distance.but why risk the injury of an animal for your "ego".i belive the small gun guys are worse than the too much gun guys in that at least the big-bore guys have enough gun for every oppurtunity.although in a recent dnr study in wva. more deer have been killed there with a .22 mag than any other caliber.mainly after dark with a spotlight i suppose. being as they dont make much noise to wake the neighbors.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
the 6.5x55 has been used in africa since it was introduced to take all of the plains game and several well known elephant hunters used it to take many bull elephants. Its high sectional density produces deep penetration. the 260 Rem is its modern equivalent. the -06 with 180gr Barnes will penetrate all anyone will need with that bullet. I had a 165gr Sierra JHP hit a whitetail buck in the front of the neck, go into the spine, split the spine open for about 2 feet and the bullet lodged under the hide on the off side rump. Over 3 feet of penetration. The 180gr Barnes will do much better.

Show up at an Alaskan camp with a well worn -06 and the guides will fight over you. The nimrod with the new 340 weatherby, well they will fight over who MUST guide him.

G

·
Those calibers do the job or they would not be allowed. Good hunters know that shot placement means much more than a big muzzle blast. Over many years hunting, I have learned that you do need to be able to shot a through a deer lengthwise. But I have. Most DNR's now allow .22 centerfire for the same reason it has been used to kill people for 50 years. It works.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
The 243 is fine for whitetails. My preference for black bear would be a 308 or 06. A 270 with sturdy bullets would be good too. For elk and brown bear I would start with my 338 and go up from there. Sure lesser calibers can work, but if I get a chance to hunt them and then am lucky enough to get a shot, I want to give myself the best possible chance to anchor the animal quick.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
G

·
Just about any centerfire round will do.

If you can stop an elk or a bear, in it's tracks, with an arrow, then just about any centerfire round will work I would think. Placement of the shot is the more important factor.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
the ONLY way to stop an elk or bear, in its tracks, is with a CNS shot, brain or spine. Arrows work by causing massive hemorrhage, thus resulting in low blood pressure and death. That takes TIME; Perhaps enough time for the wounded bear to kill you. We all know of heart shot deer running 50 or 100 yds before dieing. I had a heart shot deer run 40 yd and leap a 6' high dead-fall before dieing. When I gutted it there was nothing left of the heart larger than cherry tomatoes.
Please, do not count on any arrow causing an instant stop on any game animal.

G

·
the ONLY way to stop an elk or bear, in its tracks, is with a CNS shot, brain or spine. Arrows work by causing massive hemorrhage, thus resulting in low blood pressure and death. That takes TIME; Perhaps enough time for the wounded bear to kill you. We all know of heart shot deer running 50 or 100 yds before dieing. I had a heart shot deer run 40 yd and leap a 6' high dead-fall before dieing. When I gutted it there was nothing left of the heart larger than cherry tomatoes.
Please, do not count on any arrow causing an instant stop on any game animal.
You are correct on not counting on an instant stop (with the use of any weapon). But it has happened with an arrow. An elk and a black bear of mine both dropped dead with heart shots. Most of the animals did not, of course, but those did. If the heart stops, then so does the animal. :wink:

G

·
Yes, I did shoot that deer with a .223. 14 pts, 240 lbs. One shot to the lungs. He went about 40 yards and dropped dead just like deer I have shot with 7mms and '06's. The funny thing is I was worried after I decided to use that rifle, I was worried that I would see the biggest buck of my life and not be able to kill him. I waited awhile to track him. I thought he went down the trail and couldn't find him. I was ready to throw the ar15 away. A few minutes later I found his track. He had jumped a deadfall and went a direction I did not expect. I found him shortly dead.
Another funny thing is later I got a call to track a deer shot with a 7mm. It was dead too but went further. Similar shot to the lungs. It made a believer out of me.

·
super noob
2,037 Posts
Well Im not saying it's humane so dont crucify me. My grand father poached many deer with a 22lr back when my father was a baby. Now before judging my grand father think about this my father is 55 so were talking 54 years ago when we were still climbing out of our last great depression. They lived in a shack with no windows and the door had a 2" gap under it where the snow would blow in Indiana. They were so dirt poor even buying bullets for the .22 was rough so it ment he couldnt afford to miss. I dont know what the distance was between him and the game was but I can assure you the shots were head shots right behind the ear. Still to date he is the best shot I have ever known personaly. Also aftrer he started making money he stopped poaching.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts