National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I'm the daughter of an avid hunter and gun enthusiast who sadly recently passed away. All of the guns are registered in California and I am the executor of the estate. I will be keeping some and keeping the gun safe too, so they'll be nicely protected! There are a few handguns, but mostly rifles and shotguns. Basically, I just want to know what I need to do legally to sell some of them as there seems to be a lot of information out there right now. I have many people interested who know of his collection, but until recently I wasn't even considering selling any and want to be sure I go about it properly. I also want to ensure I'm not taken advantage of on value. Any guidance would be great. This would of course normally be a "dad question", so hoping a few of you out there could lead me in the right direction. :) I plan to get licensed and register those I keep properly. Thank you so much for your help!

·
Super Moderator
16,425 Posts
The lawyer helping you with the estate can help you more than anyone. You do have a lawyer, right?

Alan

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,703 Posts
Contact these people. I understand they are very professional and knowledgeable concerning firearms transfers.

Jackson Arms Shooting Range & Gunshop
152 Utah Ave
Ste 140
South San Francisco, CA 94080
(650) 588-4209

·
57,703 Posts
I know for a fact these folks can handle it but they're a ways away from you.

River City Gun Exchange
2370 Fruitridge Rd
Sacramento, CA 95822
(916) 428-0377

·
57,703 Posts
To do a transfer; the owner (you), the buyer and the weapon must be present at the gun store. Paperwork is filled out and a fee (usually $25) is paid. Ten days later the buyer picks up the firearm at the gun store.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I hear ya @CoalCracker! I learned to shoot with some of them too. I'm only thinking of selling a handful. I've lost both parents in less than 3 years and overwhelmed with "stuff". Dad had quite the collection. Plenty of sentimental stuff a beautiful vintage sport car too that I'm holding onto, so I was lucky to have a dad with fun toys. :) Sorry for your loss. It's not a club I enjoy being a part of, but they're home in heaven together so that brings me peace.

·
57,703 Posts
If you decide to use River City Gun Exchange you will want to talk with Don (he's the best and extremely knowledgeable). He owns the place and usually shows up around noonish.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
31,992 Posts
Just a suggestion. Go ahead and settle the estate, but keep all of your dad's firearms. Wait a year or two or even longer, then revisit the issue of selling your dad's firearms. When you're caught up in the stress of settling an estate of a close family member, you could make a decision or two that you may regret later on. If you're going to sell, make the decision on your schedule and at your convenience.

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@MadScientist...I agree. That was my original intent, but he actually passed almost 4 years ago. They've just been sitting there locked up for years. My mom passed unexpectedly earlier this year, so now I have the whole estate to deal with including and a ton of other sentimental stuff. I'm only looking to sell a handful. There's plenty more. I'm not a hunter, so I don't need a large armory. :) Anyway, just exploring the idea at this point. Thanks for your thoughtfulness.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
I am over 70 yrs old. I have a large vault full of guns. When I die my sons will be in the same position you are in. What I have told them is "Those guns don't eat. They don't figure on the personal property tax. Nor do they require gas, oil, or tires." So inventory get an appraisal and then decide what you want to keep. Be careful folks that want to 'help you out' by buying one or two for cash. Some guns are very valuable. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, thank you, Northtidesix. As my dad would say, "it's just stuff!" :wink: It's an overwhelming process on every level. The more particular your will and trust is set-up the easier for your kids too (death can drive a wedge between siblings as I've unfortunately found out). It's difficult to have time to even grieve when blindsided by the complications of death...it's quite cumbersome. Thanks for your note. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Yes, I have an estate attorney. I don't think she's up on gun stuff, but I'll ask. I'm here in liberal crazy land...San Francisco. ;)
Being that you live Liberal California, you might want to ask your Estate Attorney if she can recommend an Attorney who is well versed on California Firearms Law. You are in one of the most Gun UNFRIENDLY areas in America.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.