National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, new to this forum, not to BP shooting, Just picked up a CVA Hawken at a LGS, for $25, a lot of rust, and some damage to the stock. The barrel has some serious rust, but the lands and grooves are visible, so far I'm using some PB blaster, and a bronze bore brush. Any other advice as to how to rid the barrel of the rust? Cleaned out the nipple, so it's clear, there is no stuck powder, or ball ( first thing I checked), any help would be great! Thanks.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
swab some Kroil penetrating oil in the bore and let it sit 24 hrs and then brush the hound out of it......repeat procedure......more elbow work.

then perhaps some Flitz metal polish for any rough spots.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,079 Posts
I would go with electrolysis to remove the rust. For example .....

· Registered
6,726 Posts
i am under the impression that the electro method will also remove all gun bluing as well......
have no idea for sure on that.....but this might result in a need to re-blue.......

· Registered
3,573 Posts
I saw an article on Brownells site few years ago about derusting a BP barrel.
I tried it on an old wall hanger and got good results.
Get Brownells Stainless Steel Spounge #080-000-321.
Unravel some and wrap it around a bore brush then scrub like the dickins.
It did not damage anything but worked better than penetrating oils when rust is too much.
You need a mechanical not chemical clean.
Will the breech plug come loose? If so you can remove that also.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,079 Posts
i am under the impression that the electro method will also remove all gun bluing as well......
have no idea for sure on that.....but this might result in a need to re-blue.......
The rifle will most likely need to be re-blued anyways. By removing what bluing is left should help make re-bluing a uniform color.

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,902 Posts
You're on the right track with PB Blaster as its a penetrating oil. Try applying it to the bore and then letting it sit for 24 hours (this gives the oil a chance to work under the rust). Then use your bronze bore brush.

· Registered
17,547 Posts
Buy a bunch of patches, maybe 2 bags. You're going to need a lot in between all the scrubbing. I have done this before and you'll need at least one bag if it's as bad as i'm thinking.Oil, scrub, patch and repeat until you see NO rust or anything else for that matter on the patches.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update ... I soaked it in PB blaster, and used a bore brush with a cleaning rod, and a drill, got the brush stuck down the barrel, tried taking the breech plug out, and found out the bolster (the part that the nipple goes in) needs removing first.....tried that and it broke off, so now the bolster is gone, the brush is stuck, and I can't remove the breech. If I can remove the brush I'm thinking of changing it to a flint lock, I can't post pictures, til I get some on my phone...good thing I'm only into the gun for $25...

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,902 Posts
Personal opinion. Drill motors and moto tools are two things that should never be on an amatuer gunsmith's bench. They usually cause more problems than they solve.

An Easy-Out tool, judiciously and gently applied, will remove any remaining bolster fragments.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.