National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To get a licence for a firearm in Sweden, if you are an ordinary person, you have to fulfil the following demands:

1. At least 6 months active membership in a pistol club
2. You have to manage to score at least 46 points (5 rounds) from 25 yards 3times within a year
3. You have to be able to hit a round target (30 centimeters in diameter) 6 times in 12 seconds. This has to be done three times within a year.

The the club certifies it and together with an application for a license for a cal .22 gun you have chosen it’s handed over to the police. It’ll take about 2-3 weeks until you have the license and the purchase can be made. We have also to state the make and model of the safe we keep them in. We have to reapply for new licences and redo the above every fifth year.Your first gun must be a cal.22, when you have got that you can buy any caliber you want.

Now, the purpose for owning the guns is “target shooting”. We are not allowed to carry them in public, only when we practise shooting and during competitions. So we can’t have our guns to defend ourselves with (but who wouldn’t if somebody broke in to your home). In a self defense situation I suppose the law would say that it’s not OK to use more violence than necessary.

How is it in The States? Can anybody walk into a gundealer’s, buy himself a firearm and carry it consealed? Does it differ between different states?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello Pons
Let me be the first to answer you.
I live in the state of Virginia, I can drive to town go into a gunshop pick out any rifle or handgun I want, pay for it and be out the door in less than a half hour. There are forms to fill out and the dealer makes a phone call to a government office to see if there is any reason not to sell me a gun. NO registration, no safe required at home. If I want to wear the gun on my hip thats legal. I also have a license to carry a pistol concealed on my person. Some states have laws that make it very difficult to own a gun. I own enough land to shoot any gun I own safely any time I want.
Welcome to the forum Pons

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Runes basically hit that nail right on the head. Background checks in Colorado take about an hour, so I can't get one as quickly as him. And it is illegal to open carry it in the city of Denver, but you can conceal carry it there. Any other city in Colorado allows open carry. My first (and second) handguns are .45 caliber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At age 18 here in VA, I can buy a rifle. In fact, I bought one at a gun show a couple weeks ago :)

You have to have 2 forms of ID (Driver's License and something showing where you live), and they do a background check (unless I am mistaken, if it is a private sale, they do not have to do any of that). About 20 minutes later, I have an AK-47 and 1000 rounds of ammo.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
In Illinois -

- FOID card mandatory for owning a firearm (Firearms Owners ID)
- Purchase of a long gun requires a 24 hour wait to pick up after payment and clearance of background check with Illinois State Police
- Handgun requires a 72 hour waiting period.
- Chicago has the strongest handgun ban ordinance on the books now that DC was struck down.
- No Conceal Carry in Illinois
- No Open Carry unless on your own property in a rural area or for hunting purposes.
- Transportation of firearms - must be unloaded, locked, ammunition separate and NOT in the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
- Must be 18 to be able to own a firearm.

Otherwise, Illinois is a gun friendly state.......:mad5:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In Texas

In Texas we can buy a rifle, shotgun or handgun by showing appropriate ID and filling out the paperwork. Then the dealer calls the FBI for a background check. The whole process usually takes about 30 or 45 minutes. If you have a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) they skip the background check since your CHL shows you have already been throughly checked out.
We also have a new law called the Castle Doctrine Law, defined as follows; Generally, the “castle doctrine” provides that someone attacked in his home can use reasonable force, which can include deadly force, to protect his or another's life without any duty to retreat from the attacker. It is defined differently in different states. The name appears to have its origin in the English common law rules protecting a person's home and the phrase “one's home is one's castle. ”
When liberals run (ruin) a country your gun and self defense rights will be overruled by their illogical reasoning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Runes basically hit that nail right on the head. Background checks in Colorado take about an hour, so I can't get one as quickly as him. And it is illegal to open carry it in the city of Denver, but you can conceal carry it there. Any other city in Colorado allows open carry. My first (and second) handguns are .45 caliber.
only if you receive a CCW permit.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
The two most liberal states we have in regards to gun laws are Vermont and Alaska. There, no permit is required to conceal carry, or to open carry.

Then there are states such as California that are not gun friendly at all.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
I live in California.

In order to buy a handgun I have to be 21 years old and I have to pass a handgun safety test and pay 25 dollars for the card that says I have handgun safety certification.

Since I now have that certification I can buy a handgun or rifle, but I have to fill out paperwork, show 2 forms of ID and wait a mandatory 10 days before I can take posession of the firearm. Additionally, I can only buy a handgun once every 30 days.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I live in Missouri. I can go to a gun shop anywhere and buy any gun, rifle, pistol, or shotgun and all I have to do is the Federal NICS check. I can also buy from any individual as long as they are Missouri residents.

I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, although we can carry openly or in our vehicles without a permit.

We are very gun friendly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in Maine. I can go to any gun shop and fill out the paperwork, a quick background check and I'm out the door. Open carry is legal anywhere and a permit is required for CCW. Private sales, I can buy from or sell to any Maine resident without having to do background checks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In Canada I can walk into any gun store and purchase most long guns with in 10 mins provided I have a Possession and Acquisition license which is a 2 hour course. For Handguns and most Black rifles you need a restricted Possession and Acquisition license which is another 2 hours course. Transfer time of firearms of this type take from 1-3 days before you can walk out of the store with it. These types of guns you cannot shoot anywhere but an approved range. We cannot ever openly carry restricted guns except at a range or in ones home. You can never get a conceal permit unless you are law enforcement. Long guns though you can carry pretty much anywhere reasonable.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts