National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem odd but I have a slight tremor which makes for poor shooting. I have a S&W .38 with crimson and a .45 XD. Are there any ideas about how to negate a slight tremor when shooting. I would like to be the best I can be but am rather new to this shooting thing. I have shot no more than 500 rounds total.
With 10 rounds I know at 7 yrds I can keep it in the trunk of a person shooting quickly. Maybe one stray.
Thanks for any help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is no substitute for practice, practice, and more practice. It takes time, and with a tremor it will be harder than usual. I find a good .22 pistol to be the best thing to train with, as it is much cheaper to shoot a lot, and you can still learn the fundamentals.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
Relax. Get into it. I don't know what to say other than some famous singers have overcome a speech stutter when they sing. I don't figure it would be easy for you, but I have faith in the Good Lord, and I'll say a prayer for you. I've no idea what something like that is what you have, but I would say try to be natural and not to let it rule your mind or body. Granted, that may be easy for me to say, but I believe. Once you've conquered the initial effects, I think you'll be on your way to shooting therapy. Believe in yourself, you can do it, and it's only a matter of time before you realize you've gone through a range session with a couple hundred rounds without a hitch. Again, relax and get into what you're doing. Practice is good, but the way it's portrayed is a hard line and has a sense of urgency about it. Take it step by step, and remember it's something you want to do no matter what others may say. May God bless you, and above all.......

AND

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Welcome from Texas. Good suggestions given. No substitute for practice.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Try paying attention to your breathing, that may also help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just a stupid med that has a side effect of a tremor. Stupid drug but I have to take it. Just shooting gives me a feel but isn't there methods of how to improve your accuracy. Breathing, stance and a multitude of other things. I am just not in the know. Are there any web sights or good videos to get.
Thanks again.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Is the tremor right or left brained?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I would suggest sending a private message to Gunrnr, he used to be a small arms instructor in the military, he has also taught very young kids (8years old) and various other people that have had NO experience with guns, myself included.
I also have to take several meds because of back, neck and jaw pain and he has turned me into a pretty good shooter. I wouldn't say that I could compete, but I can hold my own given a bad situation.
You may want to go to the range and shoot a "butt" load of .22 until you get comfortable with firing a weapon. Breathing, holding your weapon with your dominant hand, and practicing in a mirror are all good rules of thumb.
99% of the people on this forum will give you good advise on how to control the tremor, but when it gets right down to it, you are the one that is in control, I have confidence you will do great!! Let us know how it works out for you.
Oh yeah, welcome to the forum, relax, it's a good time.:biggrin5:

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Gawd, this is going to be another long post. Maybe I should change my handle to wind bag or blabber mouth....:rolleyes:

First, learn to shoot well SLOW, then increase your speed. Keep this in mind, slow is fast. Do not rush it, no matter how tempting it is to speed dump a mag for fun. Well, at least not while you are practicing.:biggrin5: Also, do you drink a lot of coffee? The caffeine will make you shake.

Now to the brass tacks. Honestly, how is you upper body strength? If you are a little weak in that area, the longer you hold the pistol the more you will start to shake as your arm muscles and lats (back) muscles fatigue. Evaluate your self honestly, do I need to do some push ups?

I have done some work with disabled shooters. Here are a couple of things that I picked up.

Exercise 1. Place a pie place or piece of paper with a dot, something easy to see like a 1 or 2 inch dot on a paper plate or regular sheet of paper. Now pop that "target ion the wall of a hall in your house or where ever you can at least 10 feet away. Now, put the hand you do not use to shoot in your pocket of behind your back, tucked into your waist band. In other words, get it out of the way. Turn yourself 45 degrees to the target with your shooting hand closest to the target and your feet spread about shoulder width apart. Breath in, let it out, relax and bring up the pistol (finger OFF the trigger) and line up the sights to hold on the dot. Hold that position for ten seconds actually a count of ten because you need to keep your eyes on that front sight. As you count watch the front sight target relationship. After your ten count, lower your arm, rest and repeat. Start with doing this 10X, then when you can hold on the dot without a bunch of wavering, you can increase the count or number of times you do this. It may seen counter intuitive or unsafe, but do this with our pistol loaded so you will be working with the full weight of the firearm. If you really get into it, pick up some wrist weights and wear those while doing the exercise.

Exercise 2.

You will need a new sharpened pencil with an eraser end.
Your unloaded hand gun. Pick one and keep using tis one for a while.
A door
A piece of card board about 8X8 inches
masking tap.

With your pistol in one hand, and the pre-tapped card board in the other, raise the pistol to shoulder height, walk up to the door, slip the cardboard between the muzzle and wall/door, then with your third hand press the tape down to secure the cardboard to the surface. Now, you will "load" your pistol with the sharpened pencil, eraser tip down the barrel so the firing pin hits the rubber, raise the pistol with about a 1" standoff from the pointy pencil tip and card board. Cock the hammer and slowly pull the trigger. The pencil will jump forward and leave a mark on the card board. Now repeat this sequence 20 X. Replace the card board and sharpen the pencil as needed.

Your first session,the card board will look as it was hit by a shotgun. As your arms and wrist strength improve, as well as your trigger control improves the circle of little dots will get smaller and smaller. I can do this 50 times and my punch marks in the board will only be about three times the diameter of the first one.

You can do this. Only you can make yourself do this. I am pulling for you as are the rest of the maniac on this board. Keep in touch let us know how you fair.

One more thing. Keep your live fire sessions to no more than 25 rounds for serious practice at first. Then work up as you get better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what they told me at the range i go to practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, so i guess you might need to practice :lol:

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
The other thing to pay attention to is to pull the trigger with the pad of your finger. Do not 'grip' it with the first knuckle. Doing so will cause the gun to torque off target.

Tremors may exagerate this effect.

Here are a couple of links that may help.

Massad Ayoob Article

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Use 2 hands rather then 1.
While shooting rest U'r hand on: desk, pole, etc.

Breathing:
Take 2 deep (not fast), exhale until half full and hold.

Use a shoulder stock (I know it’s a handgun).
U might want to use a rifle instead of handgun? ‘Bulpup’ design is short.

I hope U hit U’r target.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
You are squeezing the grip too tight and you are applying pressure with your INSIDE hand not your outside hand. Grip the gun with your strong hand - we tell guys "a firm handshake - hold it like your holding a guys hand YOU REALLY LIKE. Apply the pressure you need to control the weapon with the OUTSIDE hand. Your strong hand is for support you weak hand or outside hand is the one for stability. RELAX that white knuckle death grip and you will find the pistols stops shaking all by itself.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
tremor help

An old trick is to load all but one revolver chamber with empty casings (or snap caps), and then load the remaining chamber with a live round. Spin the cylinder before closing it so you don't know the location of the live round. This will allow you to get comfortable dry firing and train you how not to anticipate the live round. Use the single action mode to make your trigger squeeze more comfortable. Concentrate primarily on sight alignment and trigger squeeze (don't stage the trigger), use proper breathing techniques, "AND LET THE GUN GO OFF BY SURPRISE". That combined with frequent paractice will make you a better shot!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Fundamentals are the key to good shooting.

1. proper stance
2. proper grip
3. good sight picture
4. trigger control
5. follow through

·
Registered
55 Posts
There was an ole boy at our club with parkinsons disease that shot skeet. He'd miss a few like most of us at times, but when he held that shotgun he didn't shake at all.

Consider your handgun as an extension of your arm with grip being important. The top of the grip frame should centre right in the middle of the crotch of your thumb and your pointing finger with no unequal thumb pressure. The thumb pressure is what'll throw your alignment off. Focus on the target by looking over your gun barrel and if your in alignment you're good to go.

Handgun shooting, I find, is much similar to shotgunning where you point at the target. Remain focused on the target and bring the gun up to it. Don't attempt to rifle shoot, or you'll spend too long groping for the target and lose your perception.

Most folks develope their own technique that works the best for them. Listen, watch and practice and you'll do just fine.

Regards:
Rod

1 - 17 of 17 Posts