National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I love this thing, but it has a design flaw. There are no flats to tighten it. I put blue loctite on and tightened it by hand. It cured for a day before I put 40 rounds through it. It was rattling when I got home. It wasn't spinning off, but it was loose. I could use red loctite, but even red can be worked with if you apply enough heat. I probably won't heat it up enough, but anyway. One can out there has slots in the outer lips of the can so you can use some kind of tool to tighten it. I just cleaned up the threads and dumped a ton of blue loctite on the threads and hand tightened again, but it's not going to work. I'm thinking some kind of strap wrench like an oil can wrench, but it needs to be much smaller. Any ideas?

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Does it have a jam nut?

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not for the can. For the muzzle break it does. I could go try to find one, this thread might be proprietary.....non other like it!

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm afraid any nut with that thread will be thick, not enough thread left on the muzzle break to thread the can on. Maybe some kind of heat resistant tape on the threads?

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Maybe wrap it with a rag. And use channel locks?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Amazon. "1/2-28 Jam Nut" If you have a bull barrel you will need a thin wrench
to fit it. I found one of the short wrenches that come with cheap die grinders would fit.

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Bill, but that's not what I need. The thread for the can is not 1/2-28, I don't know what it is, but it's bigger than the barrel thread. I have a jam nut on the muzzle break.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks Bill, but that's not what I need. The thread for the can is not 1/2-28, I don't know what it is, but it's bigger than the barrel thread. I have a jam nut on the muzzle break.
Well heck--paying attention never was my strong suit. Try a high temp O-ring.
Maybe a wave washer? Something to keep a little pressure on the threads so
it doesn't rattle loose. Heat is killing your loc-tite. If you want it to stay
tight and aren't wanting to take it apart often, instead of Loc-tite use some Rocksett.
Heat doesn't affect it.

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the plan. The loctite I put on there has set, so next time to the range will loosen it up. I'll take it to the hardware store and find a suitable washer.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not for the can. For the muzzle break it does. I could go try to find one, this thread might be proprietary.....non other like it!
Going to take a guess on that can thread. It's probably 3/4-16, with a small chance it's 13/16-16.
The core of your muzzle brake looks like one of several "Solvent Traps" on the market. Threads fit
a common oil filter.

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got out the heat gun and channel locks and took the brake/can off. It took a lot of heat and a lot of force to get that thing off, it would have been fine. Anyway, I went to the hardware store. They have wave washers and lock washers, but they stick out 1/8", looks like hell. The guy at the store was a gun guy, so he knew what I was doing. He suggested a local locksmith we both know. I just loaded it up with loctite again like I did before and I'll call it good. They need to redesign the thing so it can be secured. Most of the reviews complain about the same thing.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,395 Posts
It would have to be tapped and have a screw like on optics where the screw would get into the threads, might f**k your threads though unless you take the screw off and drill a small hole where the screw goes, then it would lock there until you decide to unscrew it

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just loaded it up with blue loctite again. I'm going back to the range in a couple weeks. At $0.50/rnd I won't be burning it up, but I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Can you file two flats on the threaded end if there is enough metal? Just enough to allow you to get some leverage to tighten, the downside would having to refinish the metal.

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The barrel is the issue. I think it will be ok. I had to really work at it to get it off with a ton of blue loctite on it. I clened it up and put another ton on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts