National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best setup for the lever rifle? where can you buy the correct mounting hardware to put a nice scope on your 30-30?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike Barham said:
If your have a Winchester or Marlin lever gun, I strongly prefer the XS Sights scout mount (http://www.xssights.com/store/scope.html). It does require an IER scope like the Leupold or Burris Scout Scopes, however, or a non-magnifying optic like an Aimpoint.

Thanks for that link, Mike. I do want to put a scope on both of my Marlins and those look like some great options.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have the XS mount on my lever action 44mag, I skimped on the scope though, bought a handgun scope, and put a thick recoil pad on the rifle to help with the eye relief. It works, though not as good as a genuine scout scope.

I have just cant have a combo where the scope is more valuable than the rifle.

I have a red dot to put on it too, but the XS ghost ring sights work just as good too.

G

·
red-rider said:
I have the XS mount on my lever action 44mag, I skimped on the scope though, bought a handgun scope, and put a thick recoil pad on the rifle to help with the eye relief. It works, though not as good as a genuine scout scope.

I have just cant have a combo where the scope is more valuable than the rifle.

I have a red dot to put on it too, but the XS ghost ring sights work just as good too.
I have no problem at all with having higher-end glass on a good rifle (regardless of the rifle's cost). Anyway, if you look hard you can usually find the Burris Scout Scope under $200.

The XS ghost ring sights are great, but in no way are they as fast as an Aimpoint. On the other hand, the speed difference is measured in time frames that only matter in competition and maybe-possibly defense.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Mike, if you know where I can get a Burris scout scope for that cheap, let me know. I would really appreciate it.

My Cheapy works fine at the range, but the real thing would be better I know.

G

·
red-rider said:
Mike, if you know where I can get a Burris scout scope for that cheap, let me know. I would really appreciate it.

My Cheapy works fine at the range, but the real thing would be better I know.
New ones are $212 at Natchez right now, and they also have factory refurbs as low as $138. They are in and out of stock, however, so you may need to take wait a little for the low price.

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?bran ... Group=3411

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that Natchez link, I forgot about that place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts