National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Del-Ton Ar-15 kind of as an investment thinking all it would take is one more shooting and they would be banned. Well, it has a front sight but that was all. So I bought a flip up rear sight. That was cool, but what about a red dot? I've never used one so that was kind of cool. I could use either/or sight as needed. Now that I've put some rounds down range I'm thinking about a low power scope. Old age ya know... So if I go with a scope, what do I do with that big ugly front sight pin? I know you can remove and put an adjustable unit on there, but I've also see photos of Ar's with front sight and a scope. What gives?
Jay

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
The front sight is usually not visible in the scope.

Or you can get a gas block without a front sight attached,

and install that, in place of the gas block/sight combo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wondered if the front sight would be in focus. In the red dot it is there but I use it to line up the dot.

·
5,082 Posts
"what gives ? "
Well, there are front/rear sights that can be mounted to allow their use or mounted scope use. With mounting options available including sides, I have seen open, red dot and scopes and laser and white light on same unit. Not being smart *** here, but why not save time and sit down and configure all possible cool additions.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
I have a DPMS Gen II with a fixed front sight, and put a Vortex Viper 1-4 x 24 scope on it. The front sight was visible as a faint shadow, and only when the background contrast was right. However, to set up the scope all the way, you have to focus the reticle. When I did that, the front sight showed up in stark, perfect detail against any background. I got used to it, it's really not that bad.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
You lean to use the front sight along with the scope. That is called co-witness. I think it makes longer range accuracy easier. On my Sig when I put the scope on the front sight is a visible blur in the lower part of the sight picture. The only time it gets in the way at all is if I am shooting at a distance where I have to use the fifth mil dot on the vertical. That is well out past 400 yards and at that distance I am lucky to find the paper plate let alone the middle of it. At closer range 100 - 300 yards the shadow of the front sight is a guarantee of accurate windage. Then it is just a question of where to set the BDC and how much of the first second or third mil dot to use.

At first I used a 3/4 inch scope riser to get the scope up over the front sight, but that didn't work out too well because it messed up getting a good cheek weld. Even at 100 yards I was shooting for crap. I took the riser off and mounted the scope directly to the upper and began to learn how to align the scope, the front sight shadow and the target. Takes a little to get used to lining everything up, but if I can learn to do it then anyone can.

In other words.... That's not a bug... It's a feature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts