National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to build a decent Ak from scratch? I hear about Milled receivers and stamped receivers and see pictures but don't have a half a clue as to how to go about doing it.

How would you bend the stamped receiver to fit properly? Or should you buy a older model and attempt to rebuild it?

I assume that you can't buy them new since they are not imported anymore!

G

·
I have never heard of someone building AK, AR maybe but not an Ak. Too many imported parts, too much work. I would just buy a already made one and trick it out, far easier

G

·
Keep in mine of the 922r compliance law any firearms built with in a custom way must be in compliance with the law according to batf.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ccw said:
Keep in mine of the 922r compliance law any firearms built with in a custom way must be in compliance with the law according to batf.
Yes, I believe that the receiver must be recorded with the BATF to insure proper identification.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I want to find one that doesn't have the funky piece of metal welded to the side.... okay, I know that sounds weird, but hubby and I can not for the life of us figure out what it is, and what function it serves. We saw a few at the last gun show and they all had it. We did ask one guy and he said it was to put the rifle in compliance?!?!?!? Yeah, but it does what?

Anyone here know................

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SheNine said:
I want to find one that doesn't have the funky piece of metal welded to the side.... okay, I know that sounds weird, but hubby and I can not for the life of us figure out what it is, and what function it serves. We saw a few at the last gun show and they all had it. We did ask one guy and he said it was to put the rifle in compliance?!?!?!? Yeah, but it does what?

This the one you want!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A friend of mine put this up on GB. I believe its a Poly!

G

·
who the hell would want saddam's goldplated AK, I dont think you can get more unamerican than that. I can barely handle the level of commi in the regular aks :roll:

G

·
SheNine said:

The "piece of metal" on the left side is made to attach a scope mount to.

G

·
sig232 said:
SheNine said:

This the one you want!

It looks like Saddam was shooting out to about 700 yards with his AK...wish mine could do that.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
SuFiPirate said:
SheNine said:

I know what you're talking about, but this was just a flat piece of metal, almost like an afterthought. Nothing could've been attached to it. Perhaps the sight mount was removed and they placed just a plain piece over it to cover the holes?!?!? That was my guess............

G

·
SheNine said:
SuFiPirate said:
SheNine said:

I know what you're talking about, but this was just a flat piece of metal, almost like an afterthought. Nothing could've been attached to it. Perhaps the sight mount was removed and they placed just a plain piece over it to cover the holes?!?!? That was my guess............
Oh, no idea then, haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts