National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought about hunting fox and coyote for sport lately but then when I see videos about all those nasty rats and mice that invade farms where my food is grown, I now have serious reservations. Since farmers have so much trouble with wild pigs now, it might also be prudent to leave the larger predators (wolves and cougars) alone as well. Sharks are put in the ocean by nature to keep the seas clean. Mother Nature put meat-eating animals on land to keep it clean from nasty rodents and nasty pigs and to keep other vegetarians from overpopulating to ruin natural vegetation and causing erosion. All forms of wildlife management, ecology and pest control should be done under the advice of the scientific community. Government authorities should heed what biologists have to say when making legislation regarding the ecosystem.

https://inlightofnature.com/blog-art...-help-my-farm/

HOW BOBCATS, COYOTES, AND FOXES HELP MY FARM

So, I resolve to only hunt deer, dove, pheasant and duck for sport and meat. I'd only shoot a predator for self-defense.
I'd shoot rodents both for fun and pest control. Rodents are useless in the ecosystem entirely.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OMG Go away already sheesh.
No, I won't go away already until I'm good and ready. I've committed no sin by this thread.
As a matter of fact I'm in the privacy of my own home right now as I type this.

The purpose of this thread is to educate predator hunters that they might be aiding pests against agriculture by reducing predators.

Rats and mice are a far more serious problem than a fox that steals a chicken from the hen house once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Please eliminate any and all coyotes you can.
They will kill foxes, young animals such as fawns, small live stock and any pets they can get their teeth into.
Raccoons need to be gonners to. They may just be the most destructive critters in the woods.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Who kills more mice and rats? Foxes or coyotes?

I want to preserve the predator(s) that puts the biggest dent in the pesky rodent populations.

If foxes are better mousers and ratters than coyotes, then I would favor the foxes' survival over
the coyotes' since coyote's may threaten foxes. Which predator better protects farmers from
rodents overall? Coyotes or foxes?

Wildlife management of predators should be of the best practices in the interest of protecting farmers from rodents
and wild pigs.

The idea that rats and mice may getting their excrement into my food sources creeps me out the most.
I see rats and mice as enemy number one to ag.

I HATE RODENTS!

Please shoot rats and mice with BB guns and .22's until you die of old age.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,269 Posts
The last time I checked, cats will kill mice and rats, while coyotes, wolves and cougars kill cats. Coyotes, wolves and cougars also pose a danger to livestock, pets and small children. Your logic is flawed.

Reactions: rswink and Wag

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The last time I checked, cats will kill mice and rats, while coyotes, wolves and cougars kill cats. Coyotes, wolves and cougars also pose a danger to livestock, pets and small children. Your logic is flawed.
Wild predators will also kill mice and rats before they migrate to the farm in the first place.
Yes, a number of things are needed to minimize rodents on farms.

My logic is to balance out all the animals species to the greatest advantage to agriculture including forestry.

It is the cleverness of biologists to figure out the numbers of each of the following:

-cougars
-foxes
-coyotes
-bobcats
-lynxes
-wild dogs
-wolves
-bears
-weasels
-mink
-raccoon
-wolverine
-raptors, birds of prey

which best benefit man.

Too few predators........ rodents, rabbits, deer and wild pigs go bananas.Grain and produce crops get ruined. Food gets contaminated with rodent excrement. Soil gets eroded. Ground water gets contaminated. Vegetation gets destroyed.
Too many predators....livestock, pets, children get attacked.

It's a clever balancing act indeed.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Actually owls and hawks kill more rodents.
But still small predatory mammals aid the birds of prey considerably in this endeavor.
It takes a number of factors working together to maximize pest control efficiency.

Biologists and ecologists might even come up with the best solution.

Perhaps genetic engineering could wipe out a pest species out by impeding reproduction.

Two or more heads is better than only one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Still you have failed to take into account the law of unintended consequences.

As for ecologist and biologists, the smart ones will tell you they study the animal or the environment, not how to control it. Mother nature is the best control. We humans are the next best control mechanism.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Still you have failed to take into account the law of unintended consequences.

As for ecologist and biologists, the smart ones will tell you they study the animal or the environment, not how to control it. Mother nature is the best control. We humans are the next best control mechanism.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Nature did not intend man-made agriculture. Nature did not intend for man to let his domestic pigs run loose on the North American continent. Rats and mice were spread worldwide through colonization. So it's up to us to figure out how to best play the hand we are dealt. Much of the problem is our own fault.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
why do you think farmers/ranchers have barn cats?....providing you can keep the coyotes, bobcats, and rattlers from killing them.....cats and dogs are tools for many....not pets.
can/t keep cats alive?......use poison instead......hate poison.....use traps.

.....govt is usually the problem....not the solution.......

why am i even replying to this baited thread?.......same old same......

see ya in the funny papers.........

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
why do you think farmers/ranchers have barn cats?....providing you can keep the coyotes, bobcats, and rattlers from killing them.....cats and dogs are tools for many....not pets.
can/t keep cats alive?......use poison instead......hate poison.....use traps.

.....govt is usually the problem....not the solution.......

why am i even replying to this baited thread?.......same old same......

see ya in the funny papers.........
Well, then I'll stop worrying about all this until I see a rat turd in my bread.
For now, I'm gun shy and confused about popping a coyote or fox.
Venison and pheasant tastes better anyway.

All this trouble started when I saw this to freak me out:

The only weapons against this rodent plague is a nuclear weapon or maybe a chemical weapon.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
Coyote Killer

2q366na.jpg

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Funny mister fox. You claim to want to be ecologically aware and not kill rodents because they have no place in the ecosystem.
They play an important part. They spread seeds for plants to grow, they aerate soil to help plants grow. they are a food source for many animals.
Man plays an important part in making sure no one animal's population gets too far out of control.
For a guy who is afraid of rat turds in his bread, I doubt that you spend very much time out in the great outdoors.
Guys like you find it too yucky!
Just stay inside at your "safe space".

·
Live Free
2,873 Posts
No, I won't go away already until I'm good and ready. I've committed no sin by this thread.
As a matter of fact I'm in the privacy of my own home right now as I type this.

The purpose of this thread is to educate predator hunters that they might be aiding pests against agriculture by reducing predators.

Rats and mice are a far more serious problem than a fox that steals a chicken from the hen house once in a blue moon.
No, you won’t go away on your own volition, you will have to be driven out again; banned because you are nothing but a trouble maker; banned because you are a troll of the lowest order. When it is clearly evident that you are the same troll as John Preston ( and it is quite evident) the good folks who moderate here will ban you again. Say goodbye John...and please stop the childish games with your incognito presence and stay gone.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Funny mister fox. You claim to want to be ecologically aware and not kill rodents because they have no place in the ecosystem.
They play an important part. They spread seeds for plants to grow, they aerate soil to help plants grow. they are a food source for many animals.
Man plays an important part in making sure no one animal's population gets too far out of control.
For a guy who is afraid of rat turds in his bread, I doubt that you spend very much time out in the great outdoors.
Guys like you find it too yucky!
Just stay inside at your "safe space".
I want to see most rodents become extinct including porcupines. One time I had a $250 vet bill on account of one of those quilled buggers that met my poor Lab.
Rats, gophers and mice are no good except extinct. I don't know if beavers are any good. They build those pesky dams and kill trees.

Yes, tree squirrels are OK because they plant trees.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
So glad you are such a good environmentalist.
I also do not think you would know what to do with a beaver.

You seem to only participate in threads that you post, I do not see many times in any that you respond to threads started by others.
You do not seem to have the intelligence to carry on a conversation unless you started it. That is sad.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So glad you are such a good environmentalist.
I also do not think you would know what to do with a beaver.

You seem to only participate in threads that you post, I do not see many times in any that you respond to threads started by others.
You do not seem to have the intelligence to carry on a conversation unless you started it. That is sad.
Well, that could change. Patience is a virtue. I don't make it a point to follow others around here to see what they are doing and not doing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts