National Gun Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I was 19 or 20 when I first shot.

A 12 gauge and a .30-.30

Was in my early 30s when I first shot a handgun.

· Registered
661 Posts
I must have been 6 or so. The gun would have been a new JC Higgins .22 semi auto that my Dad bought new at Sears in about 1951 if I can remember correctly. Unusual gun, had a spring loaded red strap that hooked to the barrel for carry. It still works great, but is now on my daughter's mantel. At least I'm not yet!
I got a .410 Browning double for my 7th birthday. Wished I still had it but it was lost to a burglary at my folks home while I was overseas in the Army in the 1960s.
Dad also let me fire his Colt .38 pistol back when but I don't remember anything about the age except my Mother complaining that I was too young. She never liked guns anyway.

· Registered
283 Posts
Oh hell!!!
I don't remember exactly!!
I remember it was at YMCA camp (back when the "Y" was a pro gun organization before the homosexual mafia took over) and my dad gave $25 for the two weeks and I managed to always shoot up more than that!!
I remember the guns were Marlin model 60s
I remember I became an NRA Pro Marksman, junior division.
My mom was a proper eastern liberal who wouldn't allow a gun in the house, so Dad and I used to sneak up there every other weekend for father and son activities (something that also seems to have gone by the wayside) and burn some gunpowder!!

G

·
I was about 7 when my brother & I "borrowed" dads .410 from the closet (with out him knowing of course). Got a pretty good woopin when we got home...but it was worth it -r-

G

·
6 or 7. It was a Stevens model 87A 22 semi-auto. It's in my safe, and won't be disposed of under any circumstance. It still shoots great, and I'm the third generation to own it. I have the first pistol I ever shot, too (an Arminus .32 that also shoots fine). That was shortly after the Stevens.

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Well, not sure. You see mine is a split story.

My first was a .22 at the age of 7 or 8.

Went hunting all all that stuff with my grandfather as a youth. After the military, I really didn't want to even touch a firearm again. Sure my cousins and friends hunted and went to the range, it was no longer for me.

On my 31st birthday, my grandfather was in his 70's. At the B'day party my mom held for me, gramps looked at me and said, "I miss hunting rabbits with you." I never understood how important it was for him. That was it. I had to go hunting with him. So we went. That was it, there was no turning back.

So the answer for me is:

In my childhood, then again in my second childhood. :mrgreen:

· Registered
2,928 Posts
At 14 I went to a friends house in the country and shot an old .38 cal. 4" S&W K frame, and a 20 gauge (paper shells and all). I'm not a country boy, was born in the burbs, and had know family members that were involved with guns. I was hooked since that day in the country! Got my first long guns at 18, and handguns at 21 when allowed by law. 35 years later I'm still hunting, shooting, and carrying. Other sports, hobbies and interests have come and gone, but gun sports are here for the long run with me. My twin fourteen year olds have been shooting for a few years. They are now proficient with shotguns, rifles and a variety of handguns. They've made their first big game kill last year, and took down a couple of nice birds (pheasant) recently.
What a great way for us to spend time together. Little brother at 8, has recently graduated from Red Ryder school to .22 LR school. Now all I have to do is get the wife a little more interested.

· Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
I was 12, and it was my friend's father's M38. I haven't looked back since... he formed an addiction, I cannot escape the beast!

· Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I was five when dad took me out to the back forty and handed me an old 12 gauge he used to keep behind the door.

Told me to aim it at the berm and pull the trigger.

After I was done rubbing my shoulder he said. "Now ya know why I said never touch it unless you have to." Then he handed me my first .22. A Model 1890 that his grand dad gave him.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.