National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about 11 when I shot my first 22. Got it for christmas and went huntin sometime soon after that.

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
12 - 12 ga :eek:

G

·
I was 8 when I fired a 12ga and an old 1911.

I was a very large kid!

I remember the 12ga kicking hard and I dropped it trying to pump another round. (There wasn't a second round in it, or I may have shot the truck!)

Jim

G

·
I was 8 yrs old and it was the starting of school and dove season. Actually, it was probably not the first time I shot a gun, but this was when my dad told me my first shotgun would be waiting for me when I got home from school. The school bell had hardly started ringing when I busted out the door of the little one room school and ran the 2 miles home and flew into the kitchen.
There it was, leaning against the wall by the ice box....A used .410 single shot Green Bug made by the Bridge Gun Company. I still have it. Of course, I didn't touch it because kids knew the rules and obeyed them in those days. That didn't stop me from putting my nose and eyes only inches aways from it and giving it the once over, though. It was a thing of beauty. It seemed like hours until my dad came in from work in the field, but was probably only a few minutes. Anyway, he grabbed me and the shotgun up and we went out and he placed a Log Cabin syrup container on a post and paced off a few yards and showed me how to load the gun. Then, he asked if I thought I could hit that can on the post. After I did, he told me to "go get a mess of doves"......and I did...I miss those days.
bard

·
Banned
818 Posts
Sadly enough my first gun I shot wasn't a .22. It was an SKS (7.62x39mm). I was only 3 years old. Good thing I was still in diapers because it added extra padding when my butt hit the ground after I shot the SKS. I didn't even cry either!

·
Registered
569 Posts
My dad gave me a .22 bolt-action rifle w/scope when I was 13.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
In between 7 and 8 , do not remember exactly. It was my ex brother-in-law "letting" shoot his 12 guage double side by side.

G

·
i shot lots of guns before i actually owned one. i had pelletguns that were mine but my dad owned the others. he gave me a winchester 20 gauge for my birthday when i was 12 and that was my first owned.

G

·
Heck, I wish I could remember that far back.
Actually I went from a Red Ryder to my uncle's Parker Bros 20 guage. He taught me to shot dove and quail. I used it on squirrel too but couldn't stand the bird shot in the meat. Guess I was about 14 when I got a Mossberg Golden Palimino 22 carbine, lever action. Got good enough with it to do head shots on critters. Later added a Weaver 4x. Still have the rifle and it is as accurate an inexpensive rifle you'll find. Later got a Browning 22 semi auto. Now ThATS a class act rifle!

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
7 years old. Single Shot Remington 22. 22shorts for ammo. My Grandad lived in town & had a 4' x 8' X 1/2" sheet of steel in the back of his garage. I sat out at the street at the end of the driveway & shot hundereds of rounds through that old rifle. Grandpa said that it was the best baby sitter he owned! That would have been 1959 or 60. I own that same house now & a few years ago, a friendly policeman stoped by to let me know that I couldn't shoot my trusty pellet rifle in my yard. I said OK, then I told him about Grandpa's baby sitter. He just stood there for a little bit, then got back in his car a drove away, shakeing his head. :) Of course, I try not to shoot in the yard anymore! :-B-:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I was sent to a YMCA camp when I was 11. We shot single-shot, bolt-action Winchester rifles that you'd have to cock each time by pulling the knob on the back of the bolt. We'd get 10 shots free and could buy extras for a penny each. I gave up soda and chips so I'd have the money.

I guess I have an addictive personality. That's all it took to get me hooked.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts