National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple buddies that like to tease me about how anal I am on gun cleaning.

After every trip to the range... I completely strip and clean any gun I used. I mean completely... part for part... barrels, etc... and then oil them all up liberally.

Being that I take so many to the range... the cleaning process takes a bunch of time. But I honestly enjoy cleaning them, so for me, it's not a big deal. But I know several people who rarely clean theirs.

How often do you clean your pistols, rifles, etc?

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
After every trip to the range I will clean what I fired. And once a month I pull them all out and clean them.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Big Daddy said:
After every trip to the range... I completely strip and clean any gun I used. I mean completely... part for part... barrels, etc... and then oil them all up liberally. How often do you clean your pistols, rifles, etc?
Every time they are fired I field strip all my semi autos and give them a good wet cleaning. Then blow dry with compressed air, after I lubricate and reassemble. On my high powered rifles I clean the bore with Bore Tech Solvent until all Copper fouling is removed, then dry and oil. I grease all high pressure points of contact like bolt lugs and hinge pins on my O/U shotguns. Bill T.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
I clean the pistol every time I shoot it. The .22 and .30-06 as well.

I clean the 870 no more than three times a year. Before duck season it gets a once-over. After duck season, it's thoroughly stripped and cleaned. Then, sometime during the summer (last weekend) I strip it down and clean it up. Still looks great though!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
SheNine said:
After every trip to the range, and if not fired, every 3-4 months.
Ditto. Detail strip/clean only as necessary -- I don't see an advantage. Wipe down the barrels and stocks to keep them nice.

In our dry desert climate, dust/sand are the worst enemy and overlubrication is counterproductive. As I mentioned in the Kel Tec P3-AT report, a little Tri-Flow goes a long way around here. On S/A rifles I often use LSA (the military lube made for M-16s). I'm working from the same quart can that left the AF with me a hunnert yrs ago.

G

·
I clean everything but my .22s every time I shoot em. My .22s I usually shoot about 500 rounds or so. I always give them a cursory cleaning, but do not detail clean them but around every brick of ammo shot through them.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
gunman42782 said:
I clean everything but my .22s every time I shoot em. My .22s I usually shoot about 500 rounds or so. I always give them a cursory cleaning, but do not detail clean them but around every brick of ammo shot through them.
Yeah, I'm the same with my Ruger 22s -- they get cleaned occasionally, probably around 500 rnds. I've never seen an advantage to doing so more often. My old S&W Mod 18 is a different story -- it gets cleaned every time.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I will always clean the guns that I shoot at the range within a day or so after shooting. It will bug me if I fail to do so.

Its the ones sitting in the gun safe that I worry about. I don't pull them all out and clean them in accordance with a time schedule which is probably the better way to handle it.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
sig232 said:
I don't pull them all out and clean them in accordance with a time schedule which is probably the better way to handle it.
I have CDO, its kind of like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order as they should be.

G

·
If its shot it needs cleaned. I also clean will pull them all out once a month to wipe them down. I created this Access database for my gun inventory that Yells at me if they have gone over a month with no PMCS

I have this unfortunate thing, If I touch a gun stainless or not and do not wipe it down the darn thing will start to rust with in days. My gunsmith guy says that it is the PH level in my skin or something like that. So if I touch a gun it gets cleaned and oiled really well.

You are not to anal. You are doing what you should be doing in my opinion.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gun Geek said:
I have this unfortunate thing, If I touch a gun stainless or not and do not wipe it down the darn thing will start to rust with in days.
You do mean regular steel right...?

I have never seen SS rust... and if so... your PH level must be pretty wicked...lol

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
C-D-P said:
I have CDO, its kind of like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order as they should be.
I hear that! I thought I was bad until I worked with one particular engineer, years ago. When he left for another assignment, we bought him a T-Shirt the said, "ANAL RETENTIVE" then in smaller font below that, "Should that be HYPHENATED?"

Oh, and SS doesn't rust but it can corrode and stain permanently. Sweat or chemicals can cause it.

G

·
Big Daddy said:
[quote="Gun Geek":4040f]I have this unfortunate thing, If I touch a gun stainless or not and do not wipe it down the darn thing will start to rust with in days.
You do mean regular steel right...?

I have never seen SS rust... and if so... your PH level must be pretty wicked...lol[/quote:4040f]

Stainless will rust it is not completely rust proof.

But yes I mean Stainless. Apparently I have some pretty hostile sweat.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
gunrnr said:
C-D-P said:
I hear that! I thought I was bad until I worked with one particular engineer, years ago. When he left for another assignment, we bought him a T-Shirt the said, "ANAL RETENTIVE" then in smaller font below that, "Should that be HYPHENATED?"

Oh, and SS doesn't rust but it can corrode and stain permanently. Sweat or chemicals can cause it.
LOL I want one of those.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts