National Gun Forum banner

How necessary do you find a weapon light to be?

5K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  Dark Star 
#1 ·
No much else to ask. My new daily carry has a rail, and I'm back and forth trying to figure out if I really want to put a light on it. I'm looking at the O-Light PL-Pro if I do. I just don't know if I should put that $130.00 into the holster, or if I want the extra weight/dimension.

#8 ·
i used one while as an officer.........used right they are an asset........especially when you are by yourself and you need a third hand building clearing.

i never left it attached to the gun. Always carried it in an accessory pouch and used it more as a stand alone flashlight......but there were a few times it did get attached and was helpful.

just remember.....where that light is pointed is where the muzzle is pointed. keep your finger off the blessed trigger.

Reactions: Spooky
#9 ·
I have one on my night stand gun but i wouldn't feel the need to have one on my carry gun. makes the gun bulkier anyway. With the light you don't have to turn it on but it's nice to have just in case you need it. You don't have to flip them on either, most if not all have a momentary switch too.

Reactions: rswink and Spooky
#11 ·
And to be fair, something goes bump in the night, I'm leading with the pump action which already has a light on it. Looks like that's holster money. (Since I'm not clearing rooms or whatever. And any evening encounter in the city tends to be at least somewhat lit.)

Thanks guys for the info!

#13 ·
True. But I'm attempting to tailor my carry to the reality of my day to day life. Sure the adage "better to have it and not need it...etc" applies. As does "be prepared". (Eagle Scout here) All told I am always carrying a flashlight anyway, just not attached to my sidearm. And my Home defense gun happens to have one attached. I think I was tipping towards skipping the weapon light and just needed a nudge.

Now I just need to find a Holster that will accommodate a Bayonet (kidding):

#14 ·
The downside is the added weight up front allowing the muzzle to dip causing subsequent rapid fire shots to be off. Not a big deal to many but for someone who knows how fast they can shoot at certain distances and still get accurate shots will notice the added time it takes for the muzzle to get back on target

Simply do not like the idea of having my source of illumination being a deadly instrument when I do not know what my target might be in say, a dark house at night. Better to have a laser, or nothing on the handgun, and have a flashlight in your aft hand.

I experienced that snipers aimed at glowing sigaret tips shot and killed at great distances. So no lights or smoking cigars for me in combat situations! My opinion.

Have a good cigar and regards
As-salāmu ʿalaykum
ARMARIN

#15 ·
Light on my firearm? Take it or leave, it doesn't bother me. I don't use one on my firearms.

Now a bayonet or a small axe on a pistol, this is king :) :lol:

#18 ·
Depends on how dark it is and how many friendlies are around.

#21 · (Edited)
People who have a weapon light on their handgun need to learn how to use them properly. In confined interior spaces with light-colored walls and ceilings you can easily momentarily blind yourself when you activate a high-lumen weapon mounted light. The rule of thumb is, light down, eyes up, if you are going to turn it on to scan and assess, once you have the target, then lights up and go time.

Of course, if you are going to use a light, you better be ready to broadcast, "Shoot here!" if is mounted on a weapon.

It's a damned if you, damned if you don't situation, no easy answers.

That's why flash bangs are awesome, and even better, grenade!

But it might tick off your wife when you shred the family room with shrapnel.

:)

#25 ·
NOT NECESSARY I rather have carry a full size 17 round .45 acp over a 7 round .380 all day long due to "ANTI-GUNNERS" some fugged up laws, cry babies and I am gonna tells I am reduced to hiding like it is a shameful family secret. But hey these "TINY CARRIES" beat none at all that is my only reason for having one.

#28 ·
Many of the lights and lasers are purchased out of a desire to be cool like observed in movies and TV shows. They do not practice usage enough to be effective with them and never consider that adding devices adds complexity to the firearm and affects the handling of the firearm. To me, that is silly!

Complexity is not what is needed in an emergency. Learning to move through your own home in the dark and to effectively use obscure lights from the electronics in your home to your advantage is more effective than mounting devices on the gun, IMO.

Make sure family members, if they have a key, know to make sure they call, ring doorbell, turn on lights etc so they are easily identified. Our son who lives nearby has a key; he knows to never use that key to let himself in after hours. He calls and makes noise to insure I am wide awake if he has to come by late at night.

#31 ·
I consider the WML to be a narrow use item and certainly not a replacement for a proper handheld light. If I utilize a WML I will also carry a handheld. If I can only have one light, it will be a handheld. I do not use WMLs on handguns but I will mount one on a shotgun or rifle. I say that because a long gun is most often a two handed endeavor, so I accept the inherent "issues" that typically come along with a WML as a necessary evil ( so to speak).

My main issue is that I do not want to point a pistol at everything I want to take a look at. Although to some degree you can bounce light or use the peripheral "wash" and avoid pointing the gun directly at something/someone but that is also something that become difficult in fast moving or stressful situations.

#32 ·
It's handy for CQB/room clearing. Especially, strobe.

Reactions: deputy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.