National Gun Forum banner

How many guns are really out there?

7K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  Levant 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We always hear these estimates of roughly 80 million gun owners and roughly 300-350 million guns out there. it got me thinking that roughly 4 guns per gun owner. How many people do you know that only 4 guns? How many people do you know that have under 10? Personally of all the gun owners i know well enough to know how many guns they have in every instance the number is higher than 4 and all but 1 or 2 have more then 10 guns. Many have 30, 40 and i know quite a few where the numbers are a 100 or more Yes I'm sure there are lots of people who only own 1 or 2 guns but how many people that own 4 or less are there compared to the people who own much more than 4? So do you guys think the number of gun owners they say is higher than it should be or do you think the number of guns they say are out there is much much lower than what it really is? Personally I'm thinking the 300-350 million guns is much lower than reality.

Reactions: Alan R McDaniel Jr
#2 ·
I think you might be right in questioning the figures, but, I am glad that it is really hard to know for sure, and it is a question best left a mystery, as I am sure you would agree. The less government knows about these figures, the better off we all are. Like you I know people who own a fairly large number of firearms, and some only a few, but I do not know anyone who only owns one.

#3 ·
"They" don't know how many guns are in civilian hands. And I have often questioned the actual NRA Membership number, just as I question how many Illegal Immigrants and Aliens we have in our country. I just don't trust the numbers "They" provide.

In all instances concerning these types of estimates and "actual" numbers, Consider the Source.

#5 ·
imo over 400 million. The real number is unknown though I'm well sure it exceeds 400 mill. Just look at all the firearms alone coming into America everyday to be sold. Just for example in recent years look how many Mosin Nagants (all designations) and Nagant pistols were coming in and being sold. Just look at how many build their own firearms now during this craze or fad of the 80% now a days. Look how many come in illegally from mexico. The true number I'm sure will never be known.

#7 ·
#10 · (Edited)
Seems like whoever starts the business for disposing seized guns, will make a fortune.

Wood Plant Twig

Reactions: Spooky
#16 ·
You know, not for nothing, I too always thought 5 or 6 million people in the nra was a small number for the whole United States.

#21 ·
Interesting slant on things:

AMERICA'S HUNTERS --- Pretty Amazing!

The world's largest army... America 's hunters!

I had never thought about this...

A blogger added up the deer license sales

in just a handful of states and

arrived at a striking conclusion:

There were over 600,000 hunters

this season in the state of Wisconsin .

Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.

More men under arms than in Iran .

More than France and Germany combined.

These men
deployed to the woods of a single American state, Wisconsin,
to hunt with firearms, and no one was killed.
That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan 's 700,000 hunters,all of whom have now returned home safely.

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.

And then add in the total number of hunters in the other 46 states.

It's millions more.

The point?

America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting...it's not just a way to fill the freezer.

It's a matter of national security.

That's why all enemies,

foreign and domestic,

want to see us disarmed.

Food for thought, when next we
consider gun control.

Have A Great Day!
-------------------------------------
Overall it's true,

so if we
disregard some assumptions

that hunters don't possess the same skills as soldiers,
the question would still remain...what army of 2 million

would want to face 30 or 40 million armed citizens.

For the sake of our freedom,

don't ever allow gun control

or confiscation of guns.

#22 ·
When I'm asked that question, which is generally from someone who has negative thoughts about guns! I have to wrap the answer in a small package by saying "A FEW...". Seems like, that ends their quest or curiosity. But among friends, my answer is. "You can never have enough Guns & Ammo" LOL

Shelf Furniture Shelving Technology Room

Have a good cigar and regards
As-salāmu ʿalaykum
ARMARIN

#28 ·
When I'm asked that question, which is generally from someone who has negative thoughts about guns! I have to wrap the answer in a small package by saying "A FEW...". Seems like, that ends their quest or curiosity. But among friends, my answer is. "You can never have enough Guns & Ammo" LOL

View attachment 106040

Have a good cigar and regards
As-salāmu ʿalaykum
ARMARIN
What's the source of that picture? I want one of those.... filled.

#25 ·
The topics in this thread are proof positive as to why these moronic DemocRats are so completely out of touch when they talk about confiscation and mandatory buybacks.

Alan

#31 ·
These politicians that want to confiscate the guns will be really shocked when a battle they never envisioned breaks out and continues to grow and grow and grow into war they certainly don’t wanna fight. That will be the beginning of the biggest Civil War anyone in the world has known.

#35 · (Edited)
New generations tend to forget or at least not be able to grasp the amount of guns that have been made well beyond the century. Ever since black powder became smokeless powder the number of guns has been an endless waterfall pouring out of every factory on the planet. That said, the numbers were already looking pretty good in the black powder days. None of these guys (Colt, Smith, etc) has taken a day off work in a hundred years. Especially during war times! We were melting anything we could get our hands on to make more guns in all the wars. Now days we have the startup companies pouring millions into the established pot. To really grasp how many guns are out there, add every day of production to every manufacturer out there for just 150 years and you’ll see how low your guesses are. We lost some over the years, but the number lost wouldn’t show up on a pie chart. It’s amazing to me that we aren’t kicking them out from under our feet walking into the store.

#36 ·
When you factor in statements like these from various pols (paraphrased)..."once the clip is empty it is useless so eventually there will be no more guns"...and..."in 10 or so years the guns will be worn out so it's a matter of a few years when we will be free of gun violence"... it's easy to see why the 300 million-ish number never changes. The old, no longer functioning guns, are replaced by new ones so the net total remains the same in their blind eyes.

#37 ·
I know people who haven’t shot their guns in ten years...... some decades. They aren’t in constant use. They aren’t being worn by average joe. They are sitting in a safe.

Smith and Wesson sold over 1 million Shield 9mm between 2012 and 2015. That’s 1 maker of 1 gun in their lineup and 1 million of those in 3 years. Not a grain of a percentage of those wore out in those 3 years. Now add that to the number of gun companies that are capable of making those numbers..... let’s say 10 just to be low. Each has a flagship gun that sells a million within 3 years. That’s 10 million guns in just 3 years. Now let’s remember they sell MANY guns in their lineup not just 1. That’s a third of the total guns estimated to be around for all time in 3 years.

#40 ·
Going to point this out - thing is with the saying "worlds largest army". I'm open if someone wants to help me see what I'm not seeing. I kind of look at that like its some gung- ho kid saying it, looking to trump / one up some other kid on the playground. Theyre so many fuds out there who would turn n run or turn people in and just give up their firearms. Yet not every hunter is some fud. If there was a way to break it down, though there's not. America is the largest "non standing army" - based on the fuds out there being some part of defending America or helping America during some type of civil unrest- um they wont. They'll rather comply and turn you in. Benedict arnolds. I've seen fuds at hearings and town / city meetings and talk to lots. They are 100% not for the Second Amendment in believing what it says and is for - long with other parts of the Bill of Rights and theyre for more firearm laws. I don't put faith in fuds.

#41 ·
1st bullet. 2nd to---anti gunners.

I am not sure on your thinking, but all hunters I know supplement their food source and always eat what they kill or grow. And I don't think that most hunters will give up their guns willingly.

It is a way of life and as of now a freedom to do so. I want quit until I'm dead even with my disabilities.

#42 ·
I have no clue was always thinking much lower But I would not put past politicians of stacking Law Enforcement Purchases with Civilian to inflate numbers. Police Stations small towns and Security Firms both Private and Commercial If the 4473 is tabulated? Just my musings Every Gun sales/purchase (not private) is supposed to receive 4473 I know several can go on one form, Or Is it the NCIC calls counted??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.