National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new in the Austin metro area for business opportunity. I'm from Montana. I'm doubtful there will be the same kind of fishing I'm accustomed to in Montana and Idaho. Salmon, steelhead and trout from very clean-n-pristine rivers. I don't eat bass. Catfish tastes muddy to me. Drum, marlin and shark, no thanks. Seafood from the Gulf of Mexico...not! Thinking about that Gulf oil spill from BP a spell ago gives me the shivers. Most likely I will have to go on a special vacation to those northern higher mountain states to get the catch I want. I will just stick to boating with my dogs and huntin' if I don't discover yummy fish I can catch in these warmer parts of America. I believe the closest state with clean-river mountain salmonid fishing is Colorado.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Howdy. I'm about an hour, depending on traffic, to your north by Ft Hood. Fishing is great. If you had cat fish that tastes muddy, you need to try some by folks that know how to clean them. I don't eat bass either. But I do fish for them. If I want eatin fish, I fish for Bluegill or Crappie. Kind of like the white perch up north. Very mild, flaky meat if you don't freeze them.
No Salmon but at times in the winter they do release some Trout in different places around Texas. Check the Texas Parks and Wildlife website for places and dates. They usually don't last long though. The Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake Dam has them all year. Special regulations apply though.
Good luck.
Oh yeah, a lot of your Salmon lures, like the Lure Jenson crank baits and such, work just fine for bass. Don't give them up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy. I'm about an hour, depending on traffic, to your north by Ft Hood. Fishing is great. If you had cat fish that tastes muddy, you need to try some by folks that know how to clean them. I don't eat bass either. But I do fish for them. If I want eatin fish, I fish for Bluegill or Crappie. Kind of like the white perch up north. Very mild, flaky meat if you don't freeze them.
No Salmon but at times in the winter they do release some Trout in different places around Texas. Check the Texas Parks and Wildlife website for places and dates. They usually don't last long though. The Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake Dam has them all year. Special regulations apply though.
Good luck.
Oh yeah, a lot of your Salmon lures, like the Lure Jenson crank baits and such, work just fine for bass. Don't give them up.

Hello again. Thanks for your input, sir. I will probably just settle for lake boating and hunting while in Tx. I plan to move back up to Montana or eastern Idaho (Pocatelo area) and maybe buy a new house there five years from now. There is just something about that clean mountain air and crystal-clear water that gets into a chappie's blood. At least the Mexican border states have much better dove hunting than the Canadian border states.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Nice try John Preston! but your poor spelling caught you along with your fishing posts being a repeat of posts you made in an earlier incarnation here. Anyone from SW Montana or south Idaho would know how to properly spell Pocatello if they were from that area.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice try John Preston! but your poor spelling caught you along with your fishing posts being a repeat of posts you made in an earlier incarnation here. Anyone from SW Montana or south Idaho would know how to properly spell Pocatello if they were from that area.
Mr. Weber, I don't know who this Preston cat is but we shouldn't be spelling Nazis here. Thanks and God bless. I did notice several new 3-br Burley, ID homes near the Snake River just under $200K in eastern Idaho listed on Zillow real estate. These are even lower prices than new 3-br homes I've seen in Texas. I'm now renting a joint in Austin. I have to decide whether I want splendid dove hunting or splendid salmon and steel-head fishing. I can't have everything in my backyard. The best American state for top-notch fishing might not be the best state for top-notch upland birding. Deer are everywhere.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Well, I know this much.
Doves are migratory birds, not upland game birds.

·
Live Free
2,879 Posts
Good catch!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
You guys are quick! Salmonella is gone in two threads!

edit: gunkid was before my time but did he go as quick?

·
Aim true !
10,297 Posts
Ok whats the next ID.
ZOMG.jpg

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
Well i figured as much but at least it was much quicker this time.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You guys are quick! Salmonella is gone in two threads!

edit: gunkid was before my time but did he go as quick?
When you have enough dealings with a particular troll you can ID them pretty quickly because they usually post the same kind of garbage in each new incarnation. Gunkid and Preston are the same in that regard. I could usually ID gunkid in about two posts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts