·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here bag a daily limit?

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Our season doesn't open until October, but my bird feeders in my backyard are crowded.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
poorly........few birds..........we need a good cold front to push them down towards us.

the best hunting is on the edge of town......the town birds heading to the fields or water. The game warden did turn in some tickets to me for over daily bag limit.

$269 general fine per hunter.........and the State restitution charge they will receive is an additional $105.50 per bird.............one hunter had eleven birds over the limit.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
DEFENSE ATTORNEY FOR OVER LIMIT DOVE HUNTER: "Your honor, my client has a learning disability and his counting skills are poor. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury: please find him not guilty IAW the Americans with Disabilities Act."

I wish the government spent half as much effort fining dirty pigs who litter and pollute as they do counting measly doves in bags and checking for plugs in shotguns.

Doves are flat out pests to farmers! Ought to treat them like rats, crows and mice.

America would be much more beautiful indeed!

Your tax dollars well spent. :mad5:

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
actually.......most hunters have a deep respect for the game and the game laws. And they are well aware of the seriousness the warden takes in those duties especially as they are also responsible for the federal aspects dealing with migratory game birds. they took a chance....they got caught.

when you knowingly break the law.....expect to pay the fiddler......Frankly i am disgusted with such unethical hunting practices.

as far as govt effort.........we have one warden assigned to our county that is responsible for a little over 1000 square miles......that is awful thin and far from "effort" on the part of the State......

Reactions: Wag and Popeye

·
Premium Member
7,541 Posts
Game Wardens generally piss me off. Our hunting lease is in a heavily hunted are by the locals. These guys are flat out criminals. They ride around with loaded shotguns through the fields. They drive deer with firecrackers. They ride quads with shotguns across their laps and trespass on everyone else’s property. All of this is illegal as all hell. They never get caught. Then we’re out Pheasant hunting and we are required to wear at least a hunter orange cap. My buddy is wearing a cap he’s had for years and gets a ticket because it’s “not orange enough”. ???? I guess if you can’t catch a real violator you make stuff up and prove how big a jerk you are.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
He's just trying to keep your buddy from getting the Dick Cheney treatment.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
....but if one accidentally miscounts and goes one or two doves over? Do they still sock it to you if they check?

I would have a click counter on my ice chest where recovered doves are collected. They should have a "margin of amnesty", one or two doves maybe,
as the law is generally forgiving of a driver one or two MPH over the speed limit. I'd only count the mornings and other species with limits. I believe Eurasians have no limit in any jurisdiction.

That some jurisdictions actually regulate shooting crows is a joke. Most farmers consider all doves and pigeons PESTS.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Game Wardens generally piss me off. Our hunting lease is in a heavily hunted are by the locals. These guys are flat out criminals. They ride around with loaded shotguns through the fields. They drive deer with firecrackers. They ride quads with shotguns across their laps and trespass on everyone else’s property. All of this is illegal as all hell. They never get caught. Then we’re out Pheasant hunting and we are required to wear at least a hunter orange cap. My buddy is wearing a cap he’s had for years and gets a ticket because it’s “not orange enough”. ???? I guess if you can’t catch a real violator you make stuff up and prove how big a jerk you are.
It's all about collecting fine revenue, not wildlife conservation ethics or hunter safety enforcement.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'd fight that one in court. I'd not want to hunt in any jurisdiction with corrupt game wardens.
Is this line orange enough, your honor?

This Tom Lehrer song is what I think of game wardens who unlawfully trespass.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Are game wardens in Texas as corrupt as sheriffs are reputed to be there? The Texas Rangers even have run-ins with local county mounties sometimes in at least one episode of Chuck Norris, Walker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts