National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2010 I was admitted into a psychiatric hospital as a minor, 17 years of age. For depression and suicidal tendencies. That was in 2010 and I was 17. I am now 28 and that was a thing of the past, never having experienced that again. Will that disqualify me from being able to purchase a gun?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I was under the impression that anything you do before 18 can be expunged. Don’t believe me though!

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
I was 17 in 1972, the arrest was in broad daylight, but not the disposition. I would suggest you find out what happened to the record, was it file under juvenile delinquent or whatever they call it?

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
In 2010 I was admitted into a psychiatric hospital as a minor, 17 years of age. For depression and suicidal tendencies. That was in 2010 and I was 17. I am now 28 and that was a thing of the past, never having experienced that again. Will that disqualify me from being able to purchase a gun?
I have seen some gun shops call in a background check as if you're buying a gun(but not actually buying one) to see if you would pass or not. Not sure if they can still do that or if they charge or not.

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was 17 in 1972, the arrest was in broad daylight, but not the disposition. I would suggest you find out what happened to the record, was it file under juvenile delinquent or whatever they call it?
how do you find out what happened to the record? That was in kansas, I live in north carolina now.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Guns are not for everyone. I would be concerned about your mental health and state of mind. I know 10 years seems like a long time for you but I have kids older than you so my perspective of time is different and 10 years doesn't seem that long to me. Did you undergo a course of therapy and have the opinion of a medical professional that you are able to responsively own a gun? Did you just stop the behavior like an alcoholic and while staying sober is never really cured? I know nothing about your mental health and it's a private issue so let me comment on the legal aspect of it.

Conventional wisdom says to hire a lawyer but not knowing anything of your financial status it may be cost prohibitive. You can try to go ahead with the purchase but filling out the form would be tricky. You are required by law to be truthful. Answering yes to the wrong questions would be grounds for instant denial.

If you live in a friendly town you might visit a friendly detective, officer, or clerk and ask them to run a check on you. Be careful and make sure you don't have any warrants out on you. I should take that last line out because if you do have a warrant out on you I would want you to be arrested and the matter taken care of.

One last comment and don't take it the wrong way but 9 times out of 10 there's always more to the story or other information being withheld but you may be the 1 out of 10.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,084 Posts
This is question 21.f on form 4473 that you must fill out to purchase a firearm.
f. Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?

Falsifying answers on that form is unlawful and could land you in very hot water.
That said, was your admittance voluntary or involuntary?

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
30 Posts
FBI background checks go back years. They identify any criminal charges and return arrest records in addition to convictions. I don’t personally know how old the oldest records are, but they go back a very long time. They are based on records reported to the FBI by the principal criminal records agency in each state. I’m quite familiar with state and FBI background checks as I perform licensing duties for the agency I work for and we are authorized by statute to perform criminal records checks. I actually receive the records straight from the state police and FBI. If an applicant has been arrested (much less convicted) I get a rap sheet with the charges and disposition (if any was recorded). You’d be surprised how many charges show that the outcome of the case was not recorded.

As for the local police running a background check for someone unrelated to criminal investigation, they can’t just do that for you. They are only permitted to do criminal records checks pursuant to the purpose given in their authorizing statute. You can request the FBI to provide you with a copy of your rap sheet (if you have any criminal record). You can also challenge the accuracy of the records-many FBI records have incorrect or outdated information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts