National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A whitetail doe might weigh something like 125 pounds and you might not have a buddy to borrow his hands for help.

Does the lay-down position help facilitate putting a heavy load on a horse as a lone wolf in the deer field?

It's critical the animal be still while so being loaded.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Are you planning a pack trip? Usually you skin and quarter the deer in the field and put the meat in cloth bags and use a pack horse to bring it out. You can use a saddle horse if it's only a single deer and you distribute the weight across the back. It takes a special horse that will allow you to hang an un-skinned dead deer across it's back. You need to know that they are prey animals to.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you planning a pack trip? Usually you skin and quarter the deer in the field and put the meat in cloth bags and use a pack horse to bring it out. You can use a saddle horse if it's only a single deer and you distribute the weight across the back. It takes a special horse that will allow you to hang an un-skinned dead deer across it's back. You need to know that they are prey animals to.
Not yet, I'm just formulating what-if scenarios in my mind. I've seen more than one cowboy picture where the bounty hunter marches into town with dead bodies slung right over the backs of his string horses. Yes, I will need a special horse if that's what it takes. I prefer to gut the animal afield and let a game butcher do the rest. A whitetail doe, gutted, is even lighter than the average dead human body of a grown man. Have you ever seen an unskinned and unquartered deer carcass hauled over a car fender or hauled in the back of a truck? And yes, one single deer per hunt.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2211605/A-huntsmans-Professional-deer-stalker-begins-final-red-stag-season-45-years-spent-Scottish-Highlands.html

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Well dead weight is more than you think. It took two of us to load my son's doe onto the back of a UTV. Movies are just that, fiction. If you want to know about all this contact some of the outfits in Wyoming or Montana that do pack trips. Then you will be getting your information from "the horses mouth".

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
build a travois............drag it...

then again....the travois fell out of favor when the wheel got involved.....break out the tactical wheelbarrow and rig it to the travois, seems like a natural fit with the wheel barrow handles attached to the end of the travois poles....:lol:

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Oh, PS, no one slings them over a car fender anymore and mine come home in the back of my truck. I hang them out by the well using a rope pulley and gamble, skin and quarter, ice and of to the butcher. Very few processors around here will skin anymore. A really sharp knife with a gut hook and a stainless saw is all you need. So much to learn John.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, PS, no one slings them over a car fender anymore and mine come home in the back of my truck. I hang them out by the well using a rope pulley and gamble, skin and quarter, ice and of to the butcher. Very few processors around here will skin anymore. A really sharp knife with a gut hook and a stainless saw is all you need. So much to learn John.

In California, I know at least one game butcher who took a whole unskinned muley buck, 150 pounds, from a hunter right out of the back of his pickup. This was back in 1996, though.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
In California, I know at least one game butcher who took a whole unskinned muley buck, 150 pounds, from a hunter right out of the back of his pickup. This was back in 1996, though.

Around here there is one basic requirement.....gut your critter....drop it off at the processors and they will do the rest. You'll get a phone call when it's done.

·
Aim true !
10,359 Posts
I put my deer in my cars trunk. I lined it with a rubber matt and cardboard. The cardboard absorbed the blood.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,019 Posts
Around here there is one basic requirement.....gut your critter....drop it off at the processors and they will do the rest. You'll get a phone call when it's done.
I clean and skin before the carcass goes to the processor.

Last time I was way out in the boonies and had to pack a large animal carcass I had a saddle horse and a pack mule. Gut, skin, quarter, place in bags and load on the mule. There's no way I was walking 20 miles to the closest road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts