National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you with Kids or others around that you don't want to gain access to your handguns, how do you store them? Gunsafe? Lock box? Trigger or cable lock? What do you think is the best way to store them and still be able to access them fairly quickly should they be... needed?

·
Gun Totin' Gearhead
586 Posts
We have a gun safe and a locking gun cabinet. Our non-carried handguns are always locked inside one of those, and the few handguns in the cabinet are trigger locked as well, but the keys to both are readily available, *IF* you know where they are.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
i have a locking gun cabinet.... $100 bucks from baspro. I font like the idea of trugger locks or cables, im paranoid i lose the damn key. But i have my Makarov on the night stand or right under the matress from imediate problems...otherwise ill get the 12ga from the cabinet.

G

·
We have a safe with an electronic lock. In case any firearm is needed quickly, it only
takes about 3 seconds to punch in your 6 digit code. Very convenient.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
We have a safe with an electronic lock. In case any firearm is needed quickly, it only
takes about 3 seconds to punch in your 6 digit code. Very convenient.
We do the same. Have it open when we are home and closed when we leave. All guns are in the safe unless under our control in a holster. Access is quick and close to the bed. Big ole 45 acp with night sights is one of three loaded guns awaiting the call to arms.

I love the electronic locks on the newer safes. Makes using the safe a dream. I recommend it to everyone.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an electronic lockbox for smaller items and documents - my pistol would fit in there, but I don't trust the electronic lock on it... seems the battery is always going dead. You guys don't have that problem with your electronic locking safes?

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Everything but our carry guns are in the safe, and the carry guns are in individual finger safes. One for my wife on her side of the bed, one on my side. They are on our person throughout the day, then when we bed down they go away with easy access.
The kids that are old enough are well educated about firearms.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Everything but our carry guns are in the safe, and the carry guns are in individual finger safes. One for my wife on her side of the bed, one on my side. They are on our person throughout the day, then when we bed down they go away with easy access.
The kids that are old enough are well educated about firearms.
This is our exact same situation... our individual finger safes are bolted down to each of our nightstands. Most of the others are in a gun safe... and a handful I keep at my office.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
All of my firearms are in the safe (except for my Yugo SKS undergoing cosmoline clean) with gun socks on the long guns and the hand guns on tubular wire racks. The handguns have trigger locks on them to keep my wife happy. The keys are always with me at home but I am lucky in that I live in a small town and the neighborhood is very safe.

G

·
when I was younger, my dad had his handgun, right next to his bed, loaded, and not locked, he never had it locked, as soon as I was old enough to be curious, he taught me about it, at that point I wanted to shoot it, so he took me out and we shot it. I will do the same with my kids, I'll never lock it up. California wants you to think that parents not locking their guns are the problem, only part of this is true, you as the parent are the problem, not the gun, not the child, you. you need to teach your children, even if they're to young to shoot, how to safely handle a gun. And yes, even when I was 6-8 yrs. old, I knew the difference between a play gun and a real one.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
This is our exact same situation... our individual finger safes are bolted down to each of our nightstands. Most of the others are in a gun safe... and a handful I keep at my office.
Ours are bolted to the bed frame. But a nightstand would work well too.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when I was younger, my dad had his handgun, right next to his bed, loaded, and not locked, he never had it locked, as soon as I was old enough to be curious, he taught me about it, at that point I wanted to shoot it, so he took me out and we shot it. I will do the same with my kids, I'll never lock it up. California wants you to think that parents not locking their guns are the problem, only part of this is true, you as the parent are the problem, not the gun, not the child, you. you need to teach your children, even if they're to young to shoot, how to safely handle a gun. And yes, even when I was 6-8 yrs. old, I knew the difference between a play gun and a real one.
I don't personally have Kids - I live in a house that my brother and I bought with him and my younger brother. We all know how to handle guns safely... I'm more worried about when our family comes over and brings their kids... I have a cousin who is 4 1/2 and last thing I want is him coming out holding my gun in front of his hippie parents. Though it would be funny to see them literally crap bricks on my kitchen floor.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Though it would be funny to see them literally crap bricks on my kitchen floor.
But think about the damage those bricks might do to your floor.

G

·
DAC safe is where I keep handguns...no problem with battery dying since I purchased the safe 2 yrs ago..and I open it often.

G

·
I have an electronic lockbox for smaller items and documents - my pistol would fit in there, but I don't trust the electronic lock on it... seems the battery is always going dead. You guys don't have that problem with your electronic locking safes?
We've had ours (made by Champion) for a little less than 2 years and the battery hasn't
gone dead once. Even if the battery does go dead they are easily replaceable (at least on
mine). As Sig mentioned, I would highly recommend one.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
If you use the Lithum 9 voilt batteries that are used in smoke detectors they are good for about ten years. My safe uses two 9 voilt batteries and I have never had to replace them yet and its been about 7 years.

G

·
Unless I am carrying, all my guns are under lock and key and only me and the wife know where the keys are at. None of my guns are ever left out in plain site even if unloaded.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Liberty Presidential Safe. All of my guns that are not hidden in a few places in the house are in that. I think I am going to get a Biosafe for the guns that are kept available.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts