National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the fleshes of the various deer species hunted as legal game in North America.

-whitetail
-blacktail
-coastal deer
-caribou
-mule
-elk
-moose

I suspect that does/cows in all these various species are much better on the
table for taste and texture than bucks/bulls all other things being he same.

· Aim true !
14,164 Posts
Yes doe is better than buck. I have only ate white tail deer and caribou. The others i can not comet on. But im sure female meat is the better in them as well. Buck i save for burger and sausage and jerky.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,013 Posts
Poor marksmanship can lead to poor tasting venison. A wounded deer can release adrenaline and lactic acid that builds up in the animal’s system and muscles.

Also failure to cool down the meat quickly, allowing internal bacteria to spread can taint the flavor of the meat. If you kill a deer in temperatures above 40°F, you should use ice to cool the meat as quickly as possible.

Reactions: Fitasc Shooter

· Genius in Training
674 Posts
In general I have heard that whitetail is better than mule. That is the extent of my knowledge though. As the others have pointed out, there are many other factors that go into it.

· Registered
8,425 Posts
Poor marksmanship can lead to poor tasting venison. A wounded deer can release adrenaline and lactic acid that builds up in the animal’s system and muscles.

Also failure to cool down the meat quickly, allowing internal bacteria to spread can taint the flavor of the meat. If you kill a deer in temperatures above 40°F, you should use ice to cool the meat as quickly as possible.

Why I never understood why Nevada has its pronghorn season in mid August when it can be 90+ degrees outside

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,013 Posts
Why I never understood why Nevada has its pronghorn season in mid August when it can be 90+ degrees outside
Because those who make the rules have no knowledge about the subject they govern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.