National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Send the factory an email so you get it in writing.

I have a .380 whose manual made no mention of this, I have an email that says it's OK.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Baldy said:
When in doubt contact the factory who makes it (the gun) and then the ammo company that you are going to use. Most all modern pistols and revolver can take the +P loads but a wise man checks. Good luck. :)
Good advice Baldy.

Most of the modern handguns mfg by the larger companies are pressure tested way beyond the pressure requirements of +P+ ammo. I never worry with a steel or stainless steel handgun of recent vintage. But in my Alum framed firearms I choose not to fire the Hammerhead Shark loads since I don't want to cause the gun to rattle when I carry it.

To carry +p+ loads in a Alum framed Smith for example is acceptable. But to shoot them often is not recommended. I agree that if you have any doubts check with the mfg.

I think you are more at risk of damaging firearms with hot reloads or double powder reloads than the +p stuff.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
All the above answers are correct. I would only add that if your firearm is still in production, you can likely get an owners manual from the manufacturer just by asking. More often than not, they will just send one to you. Other times you can download one from the mfgr's website.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts