National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Showed up in my inbox, worth a read.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/how-do-i-know-when-to-shoot/?j=23738&sfmc_sub=21069295&l=15_HTML&u=424498&mid=7295358&jb=434

Knowing what your rights are and training to better understand how to respond to a threat are necessary and beneficial. But I recently heard a unique and profound response that sheds some light on that all-too-familiar question, “How do I know when to shoot?”

It came from Jimmy Graham, founder and CEO of Able Shepherd, who spent more than 15 years in the U.S. Navy SEALs and served for seven years as lead instructor for an elite federal government protective detail.

His response to the question was actually another question: What would happen if you didn’t?

·
Aim true !
10,068 Posts
Check to see if they are having any seminars in your area. And go to one. I went to a US law shield one. And my family got there coverage. We plan on attending another soon as a refresher.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Mr. Graham makes a very good point. I always preach the old Imminent danger of death or serious injury to ones self or annother innocent person. That includes a great big young dude intending to kick my delicate antique ass. I am too old for that nonsense.

You are smart enough to know these questions need answering now, not after shooting some predator. I would reccommend getting those answers from an NRA instructor with a legal adviser in the room. All too often LEO instructors get tangled up in Department Regulations and Policy. Netiher of which govern a citizens right to use deadly force for protection.:thumbsup:

·
Aim true !
10,068 Posts
To add if you do need to use deadly force. Don't tell the cops anything before your attorney arrives. To put it blunt lawyer up shut up.

Reactions: ArthAnsgar

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
A cop friend of mine told me if involved in a shooting and the cops get aggressive about questioning you.
Just tell them you are having chest pains and want them to call you an ambulance and get you to a hospital.
This will end it all until your lawyer gets there and you have time to calm down and get your facts straight

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All solid pieces of advice. I decided to get the USCCA platinum insurance for myself and my wife. Knowing that all my bases are covered if I do have to use deadly force is well worth the price, IMO. I'll have to look into their seminars and see if there are any within reasonable distance from me.

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
I know that if I am in danger, it is time to shoot - period.

Reactions: ArthAnsgar

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Simple instructor once asked the Class When do you shoot? Everyone waiting for the answer he started going around room same question to the different Students When do you shoot? he got to me I kind of looked at him and spouted When every other resolve has failed and I am in fear for my life to his response was is that a Question or a statement for the only thing you should ever tell an Officer responding is 1) I was in fear for my life and 2) Nothing further until I contact the Lawyers do not offer any more do not request any less. I do not know glad I never have had to find out. Now today we have Law Shield for CCW they say same after shooting I was in Fear For My Life nothing else until my attorney gets here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts