National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to know where do I start. Im not rich and have a very fixed amount of money to spend every month. I am looking for the basics here. What tools will I need. How much does this and that cost. I am considering doing this as a hobby and to save money.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
First off what are you planing on loading for :?: Hand guns or rifles or shot guns :?: There are all kinds of presses to meet different needs. There is single stage,turret,and progressive.
I recommend that you buy a reloading manual and read up on it a little. Then if you still have questions post up and we will help you anyway we can. Here's a book by Richard Lee, Modern Reloading 2nd Edition. It cost about $12.00 to $15.00. Good luck.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
para, Baldy is one of the best about giving information on reloading. I would seriously take his advice as he far exceeds a lot of people when it comes to reloading.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Ditto on the above. Also, e-bay is your friend, as are gun shows and (depending where you live and your level of patience) estate and garage sales. It's like golf clubs or weight-lifting setups -- many start a hobby and a good number quit, so there's some really good "gently used" or unused equipment out there. I've picked up 20-yr old components which have seen nothing but years and dust.

Bullets and cases don't rot (and polish up real nicely!). Presses, scales and measures might get a little rust, but it's easily removed. Don't use old powder, though -- in fact, I really would not recommend using pre-owned powder at all.

It's great if you can find a buddy. Most of us love to share our hobby/passion/addiction.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I have agree on Baldy being one of the expert's in the reloading field.
I would say start with a good quality single stage press. There are some good ones on the market. A single stage is less money & will help you learn the basics of reloading. I still have my RCBS Rockchucker. I still use it for d-caping & working up different loads. I have two Dillon 550 presses to handle the large volume stuff. Reloading is a good way to relax & is a perfect addition to your shooting addiction! :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do you know anyone who reloads? If so, I'd recommend asking them to show you their setup and help you to get an idea of what all you might need to get started. Even better, try to check with several different reloaders so you can get a sampling of ideas. I've helped a number of shooters to get started in reloading over the years and have permitted them to use my tools (under my supervision) to learn the process and help determine their choice of tools. At present I'm teaching a friend and have helped him to start purchasing his own tools. I suggest this IN ADDITION to buying and studying a good reloading manual. And I agree that the Richard Lee book is as good as, or better than, any of the manuals available.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Sounds like you are getting pretty good advice here. I might add that I like the Lyman manual, it has a wealth of information that is very basic for beginners. The information is well tested and safe for anyone just getting into the sport.

You will find reloading very rewarding and cost effective. The cost per round will depend on how many times you can reuse your brass. Low pressure rounds like the 45 acp in target loads will last a long time and cut your per round cost quite a bit.

If you can hook up with an old salt that can give you some good pointers it will speed up the learning process. I am self taught and just learned by reading several of the good manuals available on the subject and slowly working up my loads in accordance with the data supplied in the Lyman manual. I now have several manuals that I refer to and use them all from time to time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts