National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious about how I would go about getting one legally. I have only shot 2 before in my life.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obtaining a Class III weapon (also called an NFA weapon) is really not all that hard depending on what state you live in. Currently almost 40 states allow these weapons.

The basic process is to find a dealer you like and trust. This dealer will be your representative and guide through the entire process.

You can either do the research and find an item for potential purchase on your own then give the contact info to your dealer and he will work out all of the details for you, or simply tell the dealer what your looking for and he will find do all the “finding” for you.

Once the weapon has been found, you will pay for it (in advance 98% of the time) and it will be transferred and shipped to your dealer. Once your dealer has it in his hands he will start the paperwork process to get it transferred to you.

The process to get it to you can be (assuming you have a good dealer) painless and trouble free or a nightmare (if you have a bad dealer).

You will have to pay a one time registration fee, or tax to the BATF of $200.00. It does not expire and/or need renewal. The BATF will approve your application and return it to your dealer who will then contact you to go pick up the item(s).

The process will “USUALLY” take about 3-4 weeks for your dealer to get the item, and once the paperwork for transfer to you is filed it will take about 30-90 days for the BATF.

Like most weapons, you must buy one of these items from a person in the same state you live in so if it is an out of state purchase of course your dealer will handle getting it for you.

The requirements to be approved?
1: Live in a state that allows whatever it is your wanting to buy.
2: Have the $ to pay for said item.
3: Be an American Citizen.
4: File the paperwork correctly and include the $200 fee.
5: Be over 21 (there are some exceptions to this but for the most part, just assume 21 is the rule).
6: Have NO felony conviction any state.

I have a very detailed letter I have written about the various ways to do the actual registration (to yourself, a trust or corporation). If you would like a copy of that letter please send me an email, it is way to long to post. (One day, I’ll actually get it posted on my company website….).

Hope this info helps some!

Jon Kruger
President, Anvil Arms LLC
Lakeland, FL.

Manufacturer of AR15/M16 type weapons
Class III Dealer
Lifetime NRA Member

[email protected]
http://www.anvilarms.com

Edited to change "Criminal Record" to the more accurate statement, "Felony conviction"

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
find a gun store that deals with them.

make sure youve got lots of money.

and thell walk you threw the rest

·
Banned
818 Posts
Simply put, if you got the money to spend, live in an NFA friendly state, and can legally own a handgun, then you can own one.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Jon-Anvil_Arms said:
Obtaining a Class III weapon (also called an NFA weapon) is really not all that hard depending on what state you live in. Currently almost 40 states allow these weapons.

The basic process is to find a dealer you like and trust. This dealer will be your representative and guide through the entire process.

I have a very detailed letter I have written about the various ways to do the actual registration (to yourself, a trust or corporation). If you would like a copy of that letter please send me an email, it is way to long to post. (One day, I’ll actually get it posted on my company website….).

Hope this info helps some!

Jon Kruger
President, Anvil Arms LLC
Lakeland, FL.

Manufacturer of AR15/M16 type weapons
Class III Dealer
Lifetime NRA Member

[email protected]
http://www.anvilarms.com
Thanks for an excellent recap on how to obtain a Class III. Well done and worthwhile reading!

Barry

·
Registered
652 Posts
And when you get yours float a loan for the ammo.
I have fired lots of autos courtesy of the Army and the US taxpayers.
I can't afford to shoot one on my own.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
keninaz said:
And when you get yours float a loan for the ammo.
I have fired lots of autos courtesy of the Army and the US taxpayers.
I can't afford to shoot one on my own.
LOL..

Transferable Minigun about $350,000
Ammo for Minigun: $1,200 about PER MINUTE!!!

I guess if you can afford $350,000 for the gun you can probably afford $72,000 per hour to use it....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a few question regarding class 3 weapons. I've read the NFA and my understanding is that full auto weapons are only allowed if manufactured prior to 1986 I believe, yet in searches for guns, I see rifles, mostly SBRs, that require class 3 license. So my question is am I missing something regarding the pre-1986 disclaimer? Can you actually buy brand new full-autos with the proper paperwork in place?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,618 Posts
A FFL03 holder may purchase recently manufactured full-auto weapons as DEMOS. You cannot purchase one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts