National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I used Breal Free and a srub brush on my Garand.\\

Worked wonders.

In the service under field conditions, if we had too, we'd use desiel fuel to clean our M60/M203/M16/M15 or M9.

Worked.

Jim

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Hot water, Tide laundry detergant or Dawn dish washing solution, a soft scrub brush, some old soft rags, a couple cans of your favorite adult beverage, a radio and a stool.

1. Take down rifle.

2. Put some of the hot water in the bucket, add soap.

3.Turn on radio to what ever you listen too.

4. Sit on stool, place bucket on the gound between your legs.

5. Using liberal amounts of elbow grease start scrubbing the parts.

6. Rinse when done with fresh clean hot water. Dry with soft rags.

7. Hang stock to dry, not too fast or the wood may crack. Oil up the metal parts

8. Set aside until wood is all dry.

7. Dispose of the soapy water and put bucket away.

8. Make sure all firearms related stuff put away and the mess is cleaned up

9. Sit back down on the stool.

9. Open the cans of adult beverages

10. Lean back and enjoy the music from the radio. Because you are done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gasoline is NOT a "solvent" !!!

This piece of advice from one of your local volunteer firemen.

Any of the basic petroleum solvents:

Paint thinner, turpentine, mineral spirits (which are all names for the same solvent -- turpentine.)

Kerosene is good. You can find it as a "solvent" at Home Depot in the paint dept. But if you go to "stove oil" in the "heating" dept. you get the same stuff for about 25% the price.

Petro solvents can irritate the skin. Gloves are useful. READ the label on the gloves and ensure they're capable of resisting the solvent you're using.

"Well ventilated area" -- This would NOT be "in the garage with the door closed."

In the front of the garage, next to the open garage door would be "well ventilated."

Laundry room with the window open won't make it either.

"Adult beverages" . . . Good idea, but not while you're handling solvents. Technically, even if the gun is disassembled and you're cleaning parts, the "AB's" are a no no. Solvents are toxic, and guns and schnapps just don't mix.

Lay down lots of newspaper, have lots of rags. Wear clothes that you can toss in the washer -- old sweats, jeans.

When you're done toss all the rags, clothes in a washer and run the "pre wash cycle" with a shot of detergent. You want to get the petroleum (Cosmoline) and solvents out of the clothes/rags.

Gather up the papers and burn them. You want to get rid of the petro-fumes.

Also, you want to shower, just to get the stuff off your body. You'll feel better.

DON'T stack oliy rags, solvent soaked rags in a pile or bucket or whatever. They'll generate heat and burst into flame. "Sponaneous Combustion" -- (Second tip from the fireman.)

Lay the gun parts out on newspaper, and let dry in a well ventilated area. Then pick up the papers and burn in a trash burner, fireplace, burn barrel, whatever. You don't want to store solvent soaked papers, rags, etc.

Soap, detergents, dishwasher soap will maybe remove Cosmoline, but a petro-solvent like kerosene, turpentine, will work best. They're flammable (inflammable) and also voilatile (fumes) so take the standard precautions:

No smoking.

No food/drink.

Protective clothing/gloves.

Wash up, dispose of soaked materials.

It's not rocket science, but you'd be amazed at the house fires I've responded to for people who aren't rocket scientists!

Cosmoline eh?

What'dja get??? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Plus 1 to Slamfire. The solvent thing is why I advocate good old soap and hot water. It really works guys. How do you think the importers of surplus rifles clean off thier display models? I think it was Tapco or was it Federal Arms Corp? a while back was running cleaning service (for an extra $20) for gooey guns. The picture of the machine they were using was an industrial dish washer! Of course they made it sound like some super duper special gun cleaner. Nope, it looked just like the dishwashers I have seen when in the Army and in big school cafeterias.

I hope no one got the wromg impression with my "favorite adult beverage". Please note, that I stated sitting back and opening a cold one, AFTER everything gun related was put away.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I agree with Slamfire to the whole extent of Adult Beverages..... When you black out you black out. You dont know what your doing. tsk. tsk. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Travis said:
I agree with Slamfire to the whole extent of Adult Beverages..... When you black out you black out. You dont know what your doing. tsk. tsk. ;)
Industrial dishwasher works, but the hot water is hard on wood.

Petro solvents are easy to use, but you need to take precautions about fumes, fire . . . and you don't want to be drinking.

Two issues on the drinking:

The obvious which is that you get hammered and becom dangerous to yourself and other.

But also, that you end up ingesting toxic chemicals. This is the same precaution with reloading -- You're reloading, working with lead, brass, and nitroglycerin. You don't want to eat any of that stuff.

So you don't eat, drink, snack, whatever.

And you really want to strip naked and toss all your stuff in the washing machine, take a shower.

That's your basic "Haz Mat" detox protocol from your local volunter fireman.

I cant begin to tell you how many times I've put diesel in the tractor and then get the fuel in my mouth because I didn't wash up.

ICK --

1 - 8 of 8 Posts