National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are so many prices for 1911A1’s that I can’t make sense of how they are valued. I’m looking at two right now and I’m most interested in the A1, but prices on the A1 are from $800-$5,500 And then some.

If nothing else maybe i can get some valuations on these two? What do you think here?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
the 1911 value is based on many factors....who made the gun, war period production, service, condition, special variations, etc, etc.....

not to knock colt......but part of the price you are paying is the name.....COLT.....
actually i would not mind having one just for the name.....but that's a personal thing.......that has nothing to do with practical needs or functional value.......

Reactions: One1 and Popeye

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,955 Posts
$380.00 for a PW Arms imported, W German police turn-in, SIG P-6?!

The Colt is overpriced as it looks hard used and put away wet.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Registered
277 Posts
FWIW, a guy I know is a long time 1911 aficionado and gunsmith. He has owned dozens of them, including most of the brands out there. He said, and I am just passing this on as a data point as I have no dog in this fight, that the dollar for dollar the best 1911s out there are now are by Springfield. Their 1911s have MSRPs from $550 for a mil spec model to $3,500 for a custom gun, and everything in between. He said they are the only brand he would buy new right now.

FWIW, I have had a Colt Mk IV Series '70, early serial #, for decades and it's been a great gun, although it is certainly not perfect.

·
53,955 Posts
Springfield, Inc. offers good for the money 1911s as do the Philippine maker(s).

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
I think RIA (Armscor). Is good gun for the price. All my 1911's are RIA. Except my 22 lr ones. 2 of them are Colt/Walthers and 1 is a Chiappa.

·
53,955 Posts
i’m not interested in those, so you’ll have to tell me if that’s bad or good. Lol
Single stack 9x19mm pistol made by SIG-Sauer for the W German police. Excellent pistols. Carried some and hardly fired. When they first hit the market (10 years ago?) I believe they were selling for $200 - $250 with two mags and a holster (of sorts). I think I still have two of them left.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
It's hard to tell but they are probably high mileage and therefore overpriced. BUT the apocalypse is upon us. Black lives do matter especially if you're white getting paid to be a violent agitator. Riots in the streets being condoned by certain municipalities. The China virus still running rampant. Politicians trying to get in office that want to take all your guns one at a time of course.

If you want one bad enough check them out thoroughly and drive a hard bargain then pay the piper. In today's market those prices aren't out of line. Tomorrow is another day if it ever comes.

Reactions: One1

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I can vouch for Springfield and RIA being great for the money but you will still get what you pay for. Idk what the pricing is now but for a standard fixed sight government model (parkerized) both could be had for $400 (RIA is generally less expensive but Springfield offered a Defender Model for $400) They will be the floor as far as their lineups are concerned but would bet my dollar they would be reliable.

Throw $200-$300 more at it and you start getting things like dovetailed sights (possibility even adjustable sights on some models), better finishes, nicer grips, oversized beavertail safeties. Throw some more money at it and you start seeing better grade internals, ergonomic grips, beveled mag wells, even some double stacks, upgraded sights, etc.

You asked about what you get for the price, those are some examples. I have no experience with the super high end models but for what you can get for $1,000-$1,200, I have no need to go higher. I tend to be frugal because I enjoy buying guns but not cheap. I try to keep my wandering eyes near the $700 - $1,000 MSRP range. You can get a pretty nice 1911 for that money if you shop around and wait for a deal. I also strongly prefer forged steel frames instead of aluminum alloy frames like a lot of the Kimbers in that price range. And I’m not knocking Kimber. I may buy one sometime in the future.

Between me, my brother and my neighbor, we have 2 RIAs, 2 Springfields, 2 Citadels (made by RIA) and I also have a Metro Arms (also a decent bang for the buck). I’ve shot them all at some point in my range and I like them all.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
A side note, that 10mm RIA Ultra FS my brother has throws brass 20-25 yards anywhere from the 4:00 to the 6:00 of your shooting position. It’s absurdly satisfying to see but it shoots like a dream.

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
I hate how my 10mm throws the brass. When i shoot it. I bench rest it, And have a bin next to me. Catching the brass. Or if i shoot standing up. I have a portable gazebo that i put a tarp up on the side. The tarp wall catches the brass.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well i was looking at those colts, but the reason I was asking about where to get a valuation is because i have one of the rarest classic 1911 variants in the Tokarev lineup. I know what average ones go for, but mine is one of the earliest ones and the design is totally different from the rest of the ones put out In this model. I really need someone that knows what they are talking about to give it a valuation so i know its worth.

This is serial #25 and has a different frame than the ones that went into production (see pics below at the duck tail behind the hammer). The wood grips were hand carved by the designer and riveted in by hand. It came from a gun collector that died and they sold his lot. This was the rarest and oldest pistol he had and I paid dearly for it.

I’ll show you a pic from a newer one to show you how the frame, magazine release, grips, and other things were different from a production model. This was one of the first made by hand.

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
That is not a 1911 unfortunately.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It’s a Zastava M57, more specifically it’s genesis of the M57. It’s a Tokarev and a 1911 bastage child. I’ll go as far as to piss off the purists by saying it’s better than a standard 1911 Because it was designed to be an improved 1911 with less parts and it worked better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts